McCoy Longboards

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

McCoy Longboards

Postby MrMik » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm thinking about buying a McCoy longboard for those surf sessions when even a Zot or Nugget cannot catch waves.

It should also be nice for the rest of the family or visitors to have some fun on and catch some broken waves on day one of their surfing career.

And I would like to learn cross-stepping and nose-riding.

I'd like to hear some first hand reports from surfers who have experience with McCoy longboards and also other longboards, so they can compare the performance.

Are Geoff McCoys longboards as fabulous as his Nuggets and Zots?
MrMik

Re: McCoy Longboards

Postby wurfysurfy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:36 am

:lol: y not a 7/0 potbelly....flat rocker similar to a fish will get u into waves much easier than those over rockered ZOT blobs...just get it same dimensions as yr zot & itll catch waves very well. :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby revolutionsurfer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:06 am

I have been riding my McCoy mal the last couple of swells. Like my Magic Nugget it took awhile to grow on me. Now I love it. Like his shorties. They are very stable.
What is called eloquence in the forum is commonly found to be rhetoric in the study.
revolutionsurfer

Postby MrMik » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I must have a look at a potbelly when I'm in the McCoy shop next time.

I have ordered a "Performance DB" from Geoff, he recommended 9'1'' x 23" x 3 1/4" and I took his advice. :P
He reckons it does both noseride and turn well.

In order to prepare, I have built a "Goofboard" and it appears to me that it will help very much with cross-stepping.
MrMik

Postby MrMik » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 am

I've had the McCoy longboard for a couple of months by now.

Initially I could not seem to "connect" with the board at all, everything went wrong, I felt like a total beginner: Nose-diving, missing waves, jumping up and falling straight off, trying to turn but the board keeps going dead straight while I fall off to the side.... :evil:

Then I accidentally dropped the board at the beach shower while trying to wash it down and put a big ding in the rail. I decided to fix it myself and spend quite a bit of time on it. After that (weeks later), the board suddenly worked perfectly for me! :-)

It's my favourite board at the moment and my new credo is: The only surfboard better than a McCoy is a bigger McCoy! :lol:

I think the problem had been that I was moving too hectic for a longboard, not enough "cool".... :wink:
MrMik

Postby nawgy1979 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:55 pm

What made you 'click' with it do you think ? just adjusting your style ??
nawgy1979

Postby MrMik » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:24 am

nawgy1979 wrote:What made you 'click' with it do you think ? just adjusting your style ??

I don't quite know. It feels like it is a bonding process that occurs whenever I work on something with some dedication for a while. Although it feels like the board is behaving better now, it is of course me who has changed in the process. It's as if my subconscious decides that this must be a great board because I have spent so much time trying to fix the ding.

It's probably just because I have not had a proper (sufficient volume) longboard in 12 years and needed to get used to it again.

I have now spent some more time and given the board a nice cork deck grip and a few layers of paint to protect it from the sun. The cork turned out to be very nice to surf on and I think I'll be having many great sessions on this board.

I'll try to post some pictures of it later on.
MrMik

Postby MrMik » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Here are some photos of the board:
Attachments
Performance DB Rocker.JPG
Performance DB Rocker.JPG (15.44 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Performance DB Deck.JPG
Performance DB Deck.JPG (30.36 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Performanc DB Bottom.JPG
Performanc DB Bottom.JPG (23.46 KiB) Viewed 307 times
MrMik