Tuflite nose crunch

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Tuflite nose crunch

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:32 am

I've just got a tuflite board but there is a slight nose crunch on the board. There is no foam showing but the stringer is just poking through. I've heard two things:

1. only repair a tuflite board if the foam is showing.
2. repair a tuflite board if there is the slightest crack/damage as they take on loads of water.

Just wondering whether it would need to be repaired or if it is fine.

Thanks all
Laurie_4surfing

Re: Tuflite nose crunch

Postby Philchapman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Is it a Surftech? If so, does it have a wooden stringer? If the stringer is poking through it will take on water. Make sure you use Epoxy if it has an EPS core.
What's the board model? That might help to narrow things down a bit.
Philchapman

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:35 pm

It's a 6'10 Stretch F-4 model, the nathan fletcher one. To be fair, I'm not sure if its wood or just a repair. Like I said, don't know a whole lot about surftech...could just be paint chipping. I didn't repair my PU board when it had a similar thing and took on no water!
Laurie_4surfing

Postby Philchapman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:08 pm

I don't think they have a stringer normally. How big is the crunch? Does it have rough edges where the glass has cracked? Is there a route for water to get in?
If not, probably okay to just keep surfing it.
Philchapman

Postby coxie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 am

stick a picture up of the damage or you can email me one over to dingdevils@btinternet.com.
As phil says, surftechs don't have stringers, what you can see is probably the hight density foam skin.(divinycell)
Simple way to tell if it's watertight is to stick your mouth over the damage and see if you can suck air through the cracks.
If you don't fancy doing that then stick the board outside in the cold for an hour then put the board in a warm room for an hour.
Smear some soapy water over the damage and if it's not water tight it will blow bubbles as the air warm up and expands inside the board forcing it's way out of the cracks.

If you ever think you may have got water inside the board then put some cling film over the damage and tape round the edges so it is air tight.
Stick the board in a warm room for a few hours and if when you come back to it the cling film has misted up on the inside then there be water in the board.

For getting water out of the board stick the board in a warm room with the damage facing down, as the air inside the board warms up and expands it will push the water out.
After a few hours the air inside the board will reach room temperature and stop expanding and the drips will stop.
With the damage facing down at all times put the board out in the cold again to shrink the air insdide the board and repeat the process for as long as it takes to get nothing out. Could be days or weeks.

8)
coxie

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:55 am

Now after what you guys have said, I don't think it is a crunch or a very minor one at that. But it does have a few rough edges, no visible holes though...just thought that if it was wood that water would soak into the board.

I'll take a picture around lunch time and put it up :)
It looks like that its taken off the paint job and the white layer, if that makes sense?
Done the simple test and just ran out of breath so guess it is water tight. I might do the other test at lunch time.
I haven't surfed it yet as only got it on Sunday and no waves. The guy said that it has been sat in his house for quite, hence the sale but just to see I have put cling film around the nose just to see if there is any water.

Thank you so much for your help guys! really appreciate it. Rather just repair it than risk severely damaging the board.
Laurie_4surfing

Postby thechimp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 pm

All good info on drying it out, but just buy a west system epoxy repair kit from scott bader or a kit from any surf shop, i've had 5 surftechs and have had to repair them all, had 2 inch off the nose of a mccoy just sanded it and filled with the resin, hardner, pigment and a bit of epoxy filler, then wet and dry and spray with a can of car spray paint. If you don't fancy doing it yourself take it to matey above for a pro repair!
thechimp

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design