New board, 85 kg(187 pounds), 184 cm(6.04 feet)

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

New board, 85 kg(187 pounds), 184 cm(6.04 feet)

Postby eivsemb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:42 am

Hi guys

It's this question again, what kind of board should I buy..:

I'm 24 years old, 85 kg (187 pounds), 184 cm (6 feet 7⁄16 inches) tall and have been surfing for 5 years now. I do a lot of sports and my physical condition is pretty good. Since I live in Norway and 9 hours from the closest surf spot, I don't get that many days in the water. I usually go to Morocco, Portugal and France a couple of times a year, and in the summer maybe like indo or southern europe. I always go to some spots here in Norway, but not that often really. Maybe I get 30 days in the water each year.

Here is my surf history:
Been getting 20-30 days in the water each year the last 5 years.
Currently I have two boards:
1) Custom shaped 7'6" from Bali, not sure of dimensions right now
2) 7S Aussie Fish 6'7" (6'7" x 20 3/4" x 2 5/8")

The Aussie Fish I feel pretty comfortable on, even though I do have some trouble catching small waves with in Norway (waves are often very "fat" and little steep, and wearing a 5mm wetsuit, boots and gloves makes it harder). In Morocco and France I've been getting a lot of waves with this and can pop up quite nicely if I'm positioned right.

This summer I was in indo for 3 weeks and surfed a Lost Rocket 6’0 20.00 2.50 (33.4cl)
It was a lot harder to surf this board compared to my 7S, but I did manage to paddle onto the waves and pop up right every now and then. I did not really get that many waves (thanks to crowded waves and big swell), but after 3 weeks I felt pretty comfortable with it. I guess it also helps just wearing a board shorts and rash guard.

So I got two questions:
1) My Aussie fish works okay for me in small conditions (when the wave gets steep enough), but I've often read that boards like this don't work that well in bigger waves. Is it so that it would be easier to paddle onto and catch bigger waves with a board that is more performance oriented and with for example less volume in the tail? Do you think I would be better suited with a smaller board for a swell in the 5-8 feet range in Morocco where the waves tend to get very steep?

2) So I will keep my Aussie fish board, but I'm thinking of buying another shortboard to my quiver. I'm thinking of something like the Lost Rocket maybe, a board with more width and thickness than a regular shortboard? Since I don't have so much experience with shortboards, I figure I would have a hard time surfing a performance shortboard. How well is a board like the Lost Rocket, Sub-Scorcher or C.I. Dumpster Diver suited for a 5-8 feet swell? What dimensions do you guys think I should get? Length, width, thickness and volume?

To sum up:
-7S Aussie Fish for those fat waves in Norway and waves that I find hard to paddle onto
-New board for bigger swell and for waves steep enough for this board (probably beachbrakes in Morocco etc)

What do you guys think? All help is appreciated! Thanks
eivsemb

Re: New board, 85 kg(187 pounds), 184 cm(6.04 feet)

Postby timpebe » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:09 am

Why not call a shaper and discuss?

People's perception of wave sizes differ a lot, maybe add to you wishlist what 5-8 ft means to you in face height (like MSW) mentiones?

What would help is that you try to describe why you think your fish is not suitable for larger wave / what would you want to change?

Personally I would not go in the direction of the models you are suggesting, I would advise to look into a board with a more stretched outline (and spend some time on the Moroccan points, in cases in fact a much easier ride than the beachbreaks that tend to close out in winter time anyway).

For instance going by what MSW offers a Fourth Doufer or if you are not partial to MSW a Quiver BumbleBart. You can use for instance the Firewire website to give you an idea of what volume you should be going for.

Size wize I would go in the direction of 6.5-6.6 x 20 - 20 1/2 x 2 1/2 - 2 5/8 probably resulting is something like 36/37/38 litres assuming PU/polyester board. Consider adjusting down if you go for an EPS board to compensate for extra flotation.

Hope it helps.
timpebe

Postby thanasio » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:16 pm

have a sub scorcher 5'10 for sale if interested...
look here...!
http://www.a1surf.com/classifieds/lost- ... ified.aspx
thanasio

Postby eivsemb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:12 pm

thanasio wrote:have a sub scorcher 5'10 for sale if interested...
look here...!
http://www.a1surf.com/classifieds/lost- ... ified.aspx

Firstly I live in Norway so the shipping would be really expensive probably, and secondly that board is probably too small :)
eivsemb

Postby eivsemb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:28 pm

timpebe wrote:Why not call a shaper and discuss?

People's perception of wave sizes differ a lot, maybe add to you wishlist what 5-8 ft means to you in face height (like MSW) mentiones?

What would help is that you try to describe why you think your fish is not suitable for larger wave / what would you want to change?

Personally I would not go in the direction of the models you are suggesting, I would advise to look into a board with a more stretched outline (and spend some time on the Moroccan points, in cases in fact a much easier ride than the beachbreaks that tend to close out in winter time anyway).

For instance going by what MSW offers a Fourth Doufer or if you are not partial to MSW a Quiver BumbleBart. You can use for instance the Firewire website to give you an idea of what volume you should be going for.

Size wize I would go in the direction of 6.5-6.6 x 20 - 20 1/2 x 2 1/2 - 2 5/8 probably resulting is something like 36/37/38 litres assuming PU/polyester board. Consider adjusting down if you go for an EPS board to compensate for extra flotation.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the answer. Well I just wrote 5-8 ft but I guess it really depends on the break etc. I mostly think the fish is not suitable for larger waves because of what I've read and heard earlier regarding boards like these, not that I in fact can point out exactly what I feel is missing about the board. My perception was just that it might be easier to paddle onto (and duck dive under) and catch bigger waves, but again, I can't exactly tell if my current board makes this harder. Anyway, I will try to get a second hard board so I can probably sell it for the same price later if I want. Second hand boards sell really cheap here in Norway actually.

Yeah I'm thinking of 36-39 litres in volume, would probably need those extra litres when surfing with a wetsuit on. Most shortboards that I find second hand is typical 18-19 inches wide and probably suited for more experienced surfers. I am being realistic here, and I surely don't think I am skilled enough for a board like this, so I want a board that makes it easy to catch waves (ideally in all conditions) and that can also hold a bigger swell. Preferably low rocker and wide for extra paddle speed and balance. I have been looking at the Firewire's for a while now, so what do you think about the Firewire Dominator (6'2")? It seems to be a wave-catching-machine, but still works in overhead surf. By the description and reviews I've read it seems to meet my critera.. just sad these boards are so hard to get here in Norway :/ I guess it will be hard to find these in Morocco as well, I'm actually going there in January so I might look around.
eivsemb

Postby u4d18 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm

I'm pretty much the same weight / height. My stock board is a 6'4 thruster (I have 2). I also surf a 6'2 surftech 2, a 6'3 simon anderson quad and some other boards. I use to 6'4 thruster and 6'3 quad all the way to double OH+, thereafter I have a larger pin tail. One is 6'4 x 19 x 2.5 the other is 6'4 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8. The 6'3 quad is 19 1/2 x 2 1/2. Funnily enough I was using a 6'2 Lost Round Nosed Fish for an experiment yesterday at head and a half. It was ok when the waves were fatter but I was struggling to get into the hollower waves as the tide dropped. I swapped for the 6'4 x 18 and got into the waves straight away. I think you can downsize for the epoxy boards a little as they are more buoyant. I've never tried a firewire. My surftech 2 is a rusty josh kerr.

Hope this is of use.
Cheers
u4d18

Postby timpebe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 am

eivsemb wrote:
timpebe wrote:Thanks for the answer. Well I just wrote 5-8 ft but I guess it really depends on the break etc. I mostly think the fish is not suitable for larger waves because of what I've read and heard earlier regarding boards like these, not that I in fact can point out exactly what I feel is missing about the board. My perception was just that it might be easier to paddle onto (and duck dive under) and catch bigger waves, but again, I can't exactly tell if my current board makes this harder. Anyway, I will try to get a second hard board so I can probably sell it for the same price later if I want. Second hand boards sell really cheap here in Norway actually.

Yeah I'm thinking of 36-39 litres in volume, would probably need those extra litres when surfing with a wetsuit on. Most shortboards that I find second hand is typical 18-19 inches wide and probably suited for more experienced surfers. I am being realistic here, and I surely don't think I am skilled enough for a board like this, so I want a board that makes it easy to catch waves (ideally in all conditions) and that can also hold a bigger swell. Preferably low rocker and wide for extra paddle speed and balance. I have been looking at the Firewire's for a while now, so what do you think about the Firewire Dominator (6'2")? It seems to be a wave-catching-machine, but still works in overhead surf. By the description and reviews I've read it seems to meet my critera.. just sad these boards are so hard to get here in Norway :/ I guess it will be hard to find these in Morocco as well, I'm actually going there in January so I might look around.

http://bluesurfari.com/news.php?art=33 Going by this write up getting into waves should not be an issue with your current board.

On bigger waves, assuming you are going to Taghazout area: less volume helps with duckdiving, more volume and a bit of length to the board helps on the long paddles on the points and getting in early, I personally would prefer the latter.

On the Dominator. Never ridden personally but seems to be a more small to medium wave biased design. Going by what people have told me, a Firewire will feel much more lively under your feet. Imo for an average surfer there is a good and a bad to that. I use EPS in less critical conditions and stick to PU/Polyester in choppy or for me critical conditions.

I would not rely on what you could find in Morroco. Not much decent boards available when I have been over there in the past.

Or otherwise: just stuff the Aussie Fish in your boardbag in January and go and enjoy your trip and experience it (and keep some cash in your pocket for next trip or a nice quality board made just for you using your feedback of you Morroco trip). Or... travelling with two boards is never a bad idea... or...

Good luck!
timpebe

Postby timpebe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Afterthoughts (whilst my mind was drifting away to long Morrocan point breaks):
-What about a 6.4 / 6.6 Santa Cruz Pumpkin Seed. Very versatile board in my experience. Will defo also handle more juice waves. Rode it myself at large Anchor point. Much better than my standard thruster;
-What about a 6.4 / 6.6 (a quick question to MSW should give you answer w.r.t. estimate volume to aid you choice) Skindog Transformer. Personally I have no experience with the board itself but I ride something similar in 2+1 fin setup myself in largish walling conditions. Very easy board to ride and you can really play around with fins. A bargain at the MSW current price imo!
timpebe

Postby eivsemb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:14 am

timpebe wrote:Afterthoughts (whilst my mind was drifting away to long Morrocan point breaks):
-What about a 6.4 / 6.6 Santa Cruz Pumpkin Seed. Very versatile board in my experience. Will defo also handle more juice waves. Rode it myself at large Anchor point. Much better than my standard thruster;
-What about a 6.4 / 6.6 (a quick question to MSW should give you answer w.r.t. estimate volume to aid you choice) Skindog Transformer. Personally I have no experience with the board itself but I ride something similar in 2+1 fin setup myself in largish walling conditions. Very easy board to ride and you can really play around with fins. A bargain at the MSW current price imo!

The Skindog Transformer looks nice, yeah. Since I don't get out in the water that often I really need the extra volume and paddle speed. There are really not that many shops that sell surfboards in Norway, and definitely not in my area, so I might as well buy from the UK if I'm getting a brand new one. Well I'm still thinking about the Firewire Dominator, as it would make for a good travel board and its good wave catching abilities. When I go on a surf trip I really don't want a board that I cant get up on to.. so the way I see it, the Dominator would work pretty well as a versatile board for most conditions, so I'm thinking of maybe buying this and selling the Aussie Fish as they probably do the same job.

So what dimensions do you think I should get? As said I'm 187 pounds (85 kg) , 6.04 feet (184 cm) tall, and will most often be surfing with a wetsuit. In Norway I usually wear a 5 mm with booties and stuff, so that would add a lot of weight I guess.. I'm thinking either 6'2 (38.1 L) or 6'4 (40.6 L). To compare, the Lost Rocket I had this summer was 6'0 and 33.4 L, but again that board felt a little to small and I was just wearing boardies.. I hear the Firewires are really light so that should add a bit of extra bouyancy in my favor I guess. Any thoughts?
eivsemb

Postby timpebe » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Can not help wrt Firewire. I have no experience with the board. You are right that you can go slightly smaller with an EPS/Epoxy board as it has more flotation. Think 3-5 liters.

Maybe not the answer you were hoping for but honestly best advice I can give is: call a shaper and be honest and tell what you are looking for. I highly recommend the guys at Quiver Surfboards. They will sort out shipping for a fair price, they always have done for me. Many good shapers there. Make sure you personally speak to them on what you need. Stuart Darcy is still available to shape for another week I believe (you will need to hurry up to get ready and properly cured for Jan anyway).
timpebe

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design