Surf Board types confusion!

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Surf Board types confusion!

Postby steveouk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi Guys!
I've tried this before on another forum but got nowhere.

It's time for a new surfboard as I feel I have outgrown mine.

It 6'2 - 18 1/2 - 2 1/4 squashtail shortboard.

I'm 28 years old, 5'11 about 11 and a half stone but since moving from Cornwall to south wales I have rarely been in the water due to work and study but now I'm self employed I can go pretty much when I want. I used to go surfing every day and my physical and surfing fitness was excellent but now I struggle to paddle this thing. If I'm paddling out back and get caught by a set having to do a few duck dives plus paddling inbetween I'm done for! But I am building my surfing fitness back up but I still thing this surfboard fit me better was I was alot skinnier, lighter and fitter.

I love this board but I feel I shouldn't be struggling this much to catch waves.

Pros - this thing is a breeze to duckdive and it's very light on my feet.

Cons - I can't bloody paddle far on it anymore. I really have to be at the breaking point of the wave to be able to catch it. I've missed MANY a good wave in my time despite paddling like I'm being chased by a shark.

Despite surfing for most of my life, I know very little about surfboards and what makes they good and what the differences are. I don't want to fork out hundreds of pounds on a surfboard without knowing a bit about what I need to be looking for so I'm asking for your advice on this.

I want something that's light and whippy on my feet and easy to duck dive, yet something I can paddle on and not be outdone by all the longboarders doing circles on me! I know I'm going to have to sacrifice one thing or another for what I want but what should I be looking for?
More Length? More Width? Thicker? Any examples you can give me?

Thankyou so much!!!
steveouk

Re: Surf Board types confusion!

Postby Black » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Try a little wider & a little thicker. Could make a difference worth having!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby g_baby » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Well and there's the rocker to play with for a bit more glide...
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby

Postby Philshoz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:44 am

Hi Steve o

You seem to know the problem, lack of surf fitness, work hard on that and you will be good to go.

Board wise, what Black says, wider and thicker.

I got one of these this summer http://store.magicseaweed.com/7S-COG-PE-2012-Surfboard/Item/17530/ in a 6' 3", loads of volume and loads of fun. Low rocker and a deep concave, paddles like a minmal...... :-D

Good luck.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby steveouk » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks for all your replies! Can someone explain to me about what I should look for in the rocker or rails.
What different would it make to go longer also?
So many variables I'm just so confused about!!!
steveouk

Postby Rickyroughneck » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:45 pm

I would suggest straightening the rocker a little and going wider, but keeping the thickness (and thus volume) down.

I have a different set of criteria for what I look for in a surfboard compared to most people, but I would increase length and width to the largest size that I could comfortably duck dive.
Rickyroughneck

Postby steveouk » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:41 pm

What's the difference with different rockers then?
steveouk

Postby flacky » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:16 am

Flatter rocker, more speed and sit higher in water, easier to paddle, more rocker, turn tighter, go better in steep as the nose doesn't dig in.

Seriously suggest you look at something like a 6'4 -6'8 Speed Dialler. Flat, but pulled in tail, quad fins, so so much fun. Had one, loved it, and will own another but shorter. I'd say it's the ideal "one board quiver" if such a thing exists.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design