Wood veneer, best glue?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Wood veneer, best glue?

Postby roberdy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Not exactly for board making but someone in the compsand community might be able to help! My father in law has a 1946 Riley, well, I say he has one, he has the constituent parts thereof, they are not exactly "together" yet though! Anyhoo, we have some nice wood veneer to cover the wood on the dash (its a bit knackered) but not sure the best kind of glue to use on it, Anyone out there got some advice?
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Re: Wood veneer, best glue?

Postby kayu » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Funny you should post this.....I have restored the wooden dashboard for 2 Rileys some years ago......I vacuumed the veneer with a thin coat of epoxy.........it was burl walnut venneer ,same as a Jaguar...........no need to cut out the instrument holes until after the veneer is on.........as I remember , the Rileys have a flat dashboard , so you could clamp it down on a flat surface if you dont have vac gear....... :wink:
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby roberdy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Nice one Kayu, good info, thanks! I'll pass that back to father in law and see if he comes back with more questions if you don't mind me asking :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby JoeHart » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 am

Rabbit glue or I'd go with a PVA based glue, paint it on both faces, allow to dry then gentle use an iron to heat the veneer and Iron it on.

cheers Joe
JoeHart

Postby kayu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:12 am

JoeHart wrote:Rabbit glue or I'd go with a PVA based glue, paint it on both faces, allow to dry then gentle use an iron to heat the veneer and Iron it on.

cheers Joe
A good tip Joe......some veneers can be bought with heat gluealready on one side , for iron on application...... :-D.......although standard veeneer is .6mm in thickness , which leaves not much margin for error in the sanding department !
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design