basic repair question

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

basic repair question

Postby DRG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi,

I have a basic repair question.

I am repairing a board with a damaged tail. I have removed all the broken fiberglass from the tail that also extended about 4 inches up the board. Question is should I:
1. Qcell on the whole damaged area, I.e. level the broken area on the board surface and shape tail, then let it dry, then apply layers if cloth and resin.

Or

2. Use qcell only to fill in the gouged out foam but layer up cloth and resin and sand to reform everything else.

Sorry, that is a crap description, basically am asking the extent I use qcell mix

Cheers
DRG

Re: basic repair question

Postby Rickyroughneck » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:52 pm

Depending on the quantity of q-cell you are using, it might be easier to buy some expanding or pourable PU foam. Once applied, the foam can be cut to shape with a knife which is a lot easier than sanding q-cell (lighter too). If you get bubbles, you can mix a small amount of q-cell to smooth it over.

I would beware of filling large areas with q-cell. It is a pain to work with, especially if there is a boundary with foam.
Rickyroughneck

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design