Ectic concepts Freakoid

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Ectic concepts Freakoid

Postby Surfer1979 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Has anyone ridden the dale walker freakoid? I love the ectic concepts boards and have a chubster on the way. Looking to order something different and wanted to see if anyone has any feedback on the freakoid?
Surfer1979

Re: Ectic concepts Freakoid

Postby wigsy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:20 pm

I recently bought one from a member up north, but not been able to get in the water on it as I've had an ear infection.

It's not an exact Freakoid, more of a cross between the Freakoid and the Chubster.. Can't wait to get it in the water though!

e - bit of a useless post really, didn't appear to answer your question in any way at all. Sorry to have brought you back here for nothing.
wigsy

Postby SST » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 pm

I've never tried a freakoid, but an Ectic 7'0 rolled bottom magic carpet and 9'0 twin fin longboard are on the way, can't wait to get them into some Shetland water...

The 9'0 might be a beast to turn, but there's plenty of float and I've no shortage of weight to stand on the back. Plus it was up for a bargain price.

Dale's been really helpful all along & happy to chat about options etc without any commitment.

SST

Postby Surfer1979 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks his boards are really exciting heard nothing but good things. Th chubster turns up today then plan to get the freakoid in feb going to talk to him about some tomo designs I've seen on his website The speed guys get off these 'alternative' shapes is crazy
Surfer1979

Postby SST » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 am

They do look like a ridiculous amount of fun, absolutely flying even in the mushy stuff. Sadly far to small for me ride for now, I'd love to hear a ride report when you've had a few goes....
SST

Postby Surfer1979 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:39 pm

The chubster turned up today it looks great went for 5'8 and reckon I could go shorter there is a new model out the dino jnr gonna get a 5'6 (never thought I would even be able to paddle a 5'6 but I am on a diet now post Xmas) these boards have got me properly excited again I feel like a grom! Swells gone shite locally but will report on the chubster once it gets wet spoke to dale today he is super helpful I also pointed out that it looks like tomo is taking some of his inspiration and putting it into the new tomo boards
Surfer1979

Postby Craivold » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:47 pm

I picked up a chubster 2nd hand myself back in Nov (lets furnish with a pic)

and have so far ridden it in mushy thigh high Saunton (would have struggled to ride anything other than a longboard that day I reckon) to clean chest high low tide beachy and it has been an absolute blast. Really fast and surprisingly for the width/thickness very loose as well, get down low and you can really get it on rail, and it loves to rise and fall as you cain it down the line! It's ousted my 5'10 Speed Dialer as my daily driver, in fact don't think I've ridden the dialer since I've had the Chub. At 5'2 it's sounds tiny and if I hadn't been able to man handle it in the shop and had just been looking at pics on the net I'm pretty sure I would have wanted a bigger one but that would have been a mistake I reckon. It's 23" wide and 3" thick so wider than some longboards and only just fits neatly under my arm (I'm about 6'0 - don't know my other dims or volume but I have quite thick rails and an ugly nose) but the rails and nose are quite foiled so the foam is only where you need it - in fact I think there's something on his website talking about that?

Anyhow - I've been looking at the Freakoid too - definite Tommo and Sim influences so would be interested to hear from anyone who has a go on one, for me it's probably between that and an Empire Lumus as my next board - something that will keep some of the glidey fast elements of the Chub but will offer a bit more performance.
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby Surfer1979 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Ordered a Freakoid - 5.9 x 21 x 2 3/4

Have you seen the latest Firewire Tomo board? its basically a skinny freakoid shape - check out stu kennedy on it (Vimeo) its bonkers the way he surfs it - i reckon these boards are going to change alot of contemporary thought - who came first with the idea though? Tomo or Dale or is it just the continued evolution of Simmons - either way its great and got me off my longboard back onto a shortboard
Surfer1979

Postby russneversleeps » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Really intrigued by these boards but not seen one inthe flesh yet.
Are they traditionally glassed or epoxy (or something more exotic)?
Or rather..
Are they built to last or more for high performance?
russneversleeps

Postby zboy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:42 pm

mini sims 001.JPG
mini sims 001.JPG (41.27 KiB) Viewed 922 times
great board dare i say the best all round board i have had used it on reefs points low tide beachies and delivered every time gets in real early loves a tube and the bigger it gets the better the glide.apart from that its help my surfing no end being a hull, foot positioning, weight and the like. :-D
zboy

Postby ectic Concepts » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Hey guys. . . Just got myself an account on here now & would like to thank you all for your kind words...
This just gives me more drive in my design & I look forwards to the feed back through 2013!
God Bless you all

Dw x
ectic Concepts

Postby SST » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Finally had a first surf today with the Ectic Mega Simmons, and it was a revelation!

Pretty rubbish mushy 2ft beach break here today, but the board paddles like a bullet and really will catch anything. It took me a while to realise I needed to stand back all the time, but with 105kg of ballast it turned so much easier than my black & white performance noserider.

A few more good sessions and it might be time to sell the other longboard, seems perfect for small days. I would definitely say for "bigger" surfers a simmons longboard is definitely worth looking at.

Still beaming with stoke now!
SST

Postby wigsy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 pm

I've surfed mine about 5 times now, mostly offshore conditions, but ranging from knee high just just about overhead and pitching.

Excellent toy. Paddles well, catches waves easily, is stable, but certainly takes some getting used to. The first few turns I tried ended in a drilling each time, going backhand still hasn't been dialled, and I've buried the nose and gone arse-over a few times too.. But when it all comes together, I've never surfed anything faster. Down the line speed is immense. Once I'd figured out where to put my weight I was flying.

I did find myself stepping off the back occasionally to begin with, but that soon changed.

It was so good in the small stuff that I'm even considering selling my log, as I won't be using it much!

Verdict: Get one.
wigsy

Postby ectic Concepts » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:58 pm

I love this feed back... Think I may do a eCtic Concepts feed back page on my site :)
Glad you are all enjoying them so much ;)
ectic Concepts

Postby Surfer1979 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:11 pm

The new Freakoid being picked up Friday!
Surfer1979

Postby Craivold » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:41 am

wigsy wrote:Excellent toy. Paddles well, catches waves easily, is stable, but certainly takes some getting used to. The first few turns I tried ended in a drilling each time, going backhand still hasn't been dialled, and I've buried the nose and gone arse-over a few times too.. But when it all comes together, I've never surfed anything faster. Down the line speed is immense. Once I'd figured out where to put my weight I was flying.

Yeah Wigsy took me a while to work it out on the backhand and still don't think I've got it dialed yet but found it a lot easier if you really open your body up so that your chest faces where you are going (I've found needing to do this more so than any other board I've tried perhaps it's to do with the width?) as soon as you do that you can really start to choose your lines just like on your forehand.

ectic Concepts wrote:I love this feed back... Think I may do a eCtic Concepts feed back page on my site :)
Glad you are all enjoying them so much ;)

Great to see you on here Dale, really love the Chubster and didn't know knee high waves could be so much fun! Looking forward to some more small clean swell so I can take it for another spin :mrgreen:
Craivold

Postby wigsy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Craivold wrote:Yeah Wigsy took me a while to work it out on the backhand and still don't think I've got it dialed yet but found it a lot easier if you really open your body up so that your chest faces where you are going (I've found needing to do this more so than any other board I've tried perhaps it's to do with the width?) as soon as you do that you can really start to choose your lines just like on your forehand.

I've also found that putting my leading foot just off centre helps too, wave side.

Few of my friends have had a go on mine, and whilst they enjoyed the straight line speed out of the box, they didn't enjoy having to re-learn turning!
wigsy

Postby Craivold » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 pm

yeah thinking back to some of the backhand waves I've had on it I may be doing that without thinking about it much but will be more aware of it next go out as I reckon thats the way forward.

Check this video out of someone in Chilean lefts on a Mandala shape not too disimilar to the mini sim idea, first few mins shows some backside action with the foot placement just as you suggest

https://vimeo.com/32741842

8)
Craivold

Postby Surfer1979 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:50 pm

The freakoid is amazing surfed it in shit onshore northerly slop today (desperate to get it wet) had a steep right and it was like a friggin rocket - i took the quad option, its quite stiff but in a way that gives you ridiculous amounts of drive - dale put a step nose in (i didnt know! and thought WTF) But i learnt a lesson today - trust your shaper! If you boys buy one go short - I am 5'10 and 13.8 stone and mine is 5'7 i NEVER thought id ride a 5'7 and enjoy it

On my first wave today i actually laughed out load as i pulled off the back of it!

Thanks Dale....saving up for the next one now!
Surfer1979

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design