Ding repair with a UV torch

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Ding repair with a UV torch

Postby Pablo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 am

Hi,

Saw a youtube clip with someone doing this.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this and would you know if the torch has to have a certain UV strength/output?

Thanks.
Pablo

Re: Ding repair with a UV torch

Postby coxie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 pm

I've seen kits with a uv torch supplied with it. Pretty pointless unless you only like doing repairs at night. I have. Uv lamps in the workshop but only ever use them when it's chucking it down with rain and I can't put boards outside. Uv resin will cure on the cloudiest of days it just takes a little longer.
coxie

Postby Rickyroughneck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 pm

I bought a 60W UV bulb and had it almost no effect on the repair. On a polyester repair it sped up the cure slightly but I think that was due to the heat rather than the UV. I doubt a battery powered torch would make much of a difference.
Rickyroughneck

Postby finlay » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:40 pm

I wish I was joking but I tried to cure a 12ft board glassed with double 6oz Volan and a deck patch in the middle of the night in the dead of winter - using UV resin + UV lights.

It worked after a fashion - I had an old tanning bed and a handheld beast of a UV lamp used for curing resin used in building circuitboards I think.

A word of warning though - my eyes got totally sunburned a la snow blindness, and I had to spend a few days indoors after.
finlay

Postby Black » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:40 pm

finlay wrote:I wish I was joking but I tried to cure a 12ft board glassed with double 6oz Volan and a deck patch in the middle of the night in the dead of winter - using UV resin + UV lights.

It worked after a fashion - I had an old tanning bed and a handheld beast of a UV lamp used for curing resin used in building circuitboards I think.

A word of warning though - my eyes got totally sunburned a la snow blindness, and I had to spend a few days indoors after.

I remember the old tanning machines back in the day were renown for blinding & burning folk - needed goggles (and the right uv)!!!
Never growing old together...
Black

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design