Twin Keel vs Modern twin fins

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Twin Keel vs Modern twin fins

Postby samueladams » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:17 pm

G'day,

Lately I've been messing around with different fin setups. I love my quad setup due to the hold it gives but I've tried the setup just with the twin fins on and the looseness and response was mind blowing! (FCS SF4 - apart from the odd slide out, but that's a part of the experience). I was wondering what the pro's and cons were for using keel fins vs modern twins? Keels have a larger area but what are the effects of this against a modern twin fin?
I can seem to find any info on this anywhere on the internet..

Cheers

SA
samueladams

Re: Twin Keel vs Modern twin fins

Postby surfrat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:30 pm

I've used a twin with keels and one with smaller fins and one with something in between. I found the keels lock you into a turn a bit more but can make it harder to put onto a rail. Being used to surfing thrusters i preferred the ones with more modern looking fins, especially on backhand. but then the shape of the board and rocker all come into play too....
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:41 pm

I think it depends on what template your riding and foil, I've got a Pavel twin which came with Pavel keel haulers. Changed them up to CI turbo keels and the thing flies and holds in on turns , without being to twitchy on pushing it hard. The keel haulers I found were good for gunning it down the line but crap on turning.
At the end of the day if you have a pulled in tail fish , ride with MR style fins , wider tail fish keel fins. Done.
buttholesurfer

Postby samueladams » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:51 pm

The board in question is a NS flying fish 6'4. Just ordered the MR-TX fins and may try out a mates keel fins for the craic.

Cheers
samueladams

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design