crystal clear epoxy

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

crystal clear epoxy

Postby coxie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 pm

So ,went to seabase to stock up on a few bits the other day and it turns out that resin research have changed their standard epoxy to the same blue colour of the kwik kick resin.
The blue colour doesn't really show in lams on a whole board but when doing repairs with the stuff it can show a very slight blue tinge where the new glass has gone in. No good for me :-x

I've been using both kwik kick and the standard resin for ages now, only use the kwik kick for repairs that are gonna be hidden by paint, surftechs etc because of the slight colour difference.

Probably a question for pete, ab3 etc but anyone know of a good quality crystal clear epoxy to save me trawling the net.

Hate it when you've used a product for years, really happy with it a then they change it.
coxie

Re: crystal clear epoxy

Postby Rickyroughneck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 am

I use easycomposites epoxy for my ding repairs and it is clear and wets well. It isn't special "surfboard" epoxy, but then I am sceptical of whether surf specific epoxy actually grants an advantage to justify the higher price tag. It only use it for ding repairs though where strength isn't an issue.
Rickyroughneck

Postby peteuk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:22 am

hi coxie, these resins are some of the best i have used , i use the low viscosity ones ,they wet out exeptionally well , no bloom and sandable quite quickly ,
if you give him a ring just make sure that you specify you want clear epoxy ,some of the first stuff i got of him was slightly amber , no problem over wood but not so good over a normal blank ,
all the latter resins have been perfectly clear but just make sure when you speak to him ,
i don/t really know if it yellows at all over time because i allways use a uv 2 pac clear coat as the final coat over epoxy and don/t have any yellowing issues ,
just up the road from me as well , pete

http://www.reactiveresins.com/Epoxy-Products.html
peteuk

Postby coxie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Cheers chaps will give them a gander
coxie

Postby kayu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Kinetix , from ATL Composites is a crystal clear epoxy. It's also compatible with a poly filler coat and gloss.....no failures. It is specifically developed for surfboards. ....not sure if it is readily available in the UK , or if they have an agent. 2/1 hardner to resin , low viscosity when mixed and a reasonable gel time under average conditions....
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby AB3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Sicomin is surf resin and clear
http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=201021076577094
AB3

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design