Small ding - major repair?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Small ding - major repair?

Postby mattttam » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 pm

I've just bought an unused, second hand polyester board which is awesome.
The only trouble is that it's been damaged a little - presumably during storage or when it was sent to the original owner.

There are a few minor stress cracks (these seem less worrying and I'll probably leave these for now) but the main issue is a couple of decent chips in the glass on the tail.
As you can (hopefully) see from the photos, the chip/cracks go right through the fibreglass so it definitely seems like it needs work.
I'm just wondering whether it needs sanding right back (like a more major ding) or whether there's a less full-on method for fixing a chip/cracks like this?

Any thoughts or tips would be hugely appreciated.
The last thing I want to do is ruin my new board! :-|
Attachments
P1206766.jpg
The other side. Not quite so bad, but presumably still needs work
P1206766.jpg (237.55 KiB) Viewed 210 times
photo 2-2-small.jpg
The worst chip
photo 2-2-small.jpg (91.12 KiB) Viewed 210 times
mattttam

Re: Small ding - major repair?

Postby Rickyroughneck » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 pm

If the dent is right on the tail then I would give it a light sand and patch over, you can never make the tail too tough :D

If however it doesn't touch the ground, I would sand it back heavily first.
Rickyroughneck

Postby coxie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:14 am

before you go sanding it get some resin (not solarez) and work it into all the cracks with a small paint brush.
If you try sanding it as it is you will end up with chunks of glass falling off taking bits of foam with it and make more work for yourself. Usually you would thin the resin right down with styrene so it goes deeper into the cracks but you wont get that with a ding kit.
As a home fix you can warm the resin up by sticking the bottle in some hot water for a bit this will make the resin thin out, but only add a tiny but of catalyst as it will kit super quick when warm.
Work the resin into the cracks and tap the area with the side of the brush so the resin goes as far into the cracks as possible.and let it cure.
Once cured sand back as close to the foam as poss without touching it then add two patches of glass over the area. sand back to the shape of board and your done
coxie

Postby mattttam » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:48 am

Brilliant - Thanks Coxie & Rickyroughneck!

It sounds a little more complicated than I was hoping for but hopefully it'll turn out well.
If not, I'll head to North Devon Ding Repairs :D
mattttam

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design