Makaha Manu: Relentless Glide

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Makaha Manu: Relentless Glide

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:10 am

12'9" Makaha at the point.

http://youtu.be/TGcKBFsNGw8
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Re: Makaha Manu: Relentless Glide

Postby flacky » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 pm

Wow, that thing really motors on take off eh! Is this by The Mount?
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:39 am

Yeah tunnel fin mania is back! The speed is addictive, the beast of desire wants more more such feeding frenzies.

That's the point at Manu Bay Raglan, which will no doubt be part of your surfing circuit soon Flacky.

We had a micro session there a couple of days ago too, 5 hours in the water and the waves picked up while we were out too which is always nice. Had it to ourselves too for a bit, when its going to be bigger in the following days small sessions can often be had during the week with hardly anyone out.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:05 am

I see one of your boards has landed in California and will be travelling down the coast?
buttholesurfer

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 am

Yep a 13 footer
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:52 am

Excellent.
As crazy as it sounds, with waves on my doorstep, I'm not seeing a reason to do the 2 hours over to Raglan. Maybe it'll change when we're over, but I'm thankful for small blessings, and knee high on a log sounds great!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:38 am

Well, I didn't bother going back to Raglan when we were in the Mount from'98 to '05 as the beaches kept me quite happily occupied, so I reckon that you might be right there. Keep in mind that Waihi Beach is a good option in W/NW wind which the Mount doesn't handle well, it has an easy paddle out up to a certain size, no annoying trench between the outside and inside sections and hardly any crowds, friendly people too. It's only 30 minutes North.

Now I'm nearly the same distance from each coast so it's just too tempting to get some of the point waves now and then. Plus I almost always used to ride Indicators and Whale Bay because that's where my house was so the point is a whole new break kind of.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby roberdy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Cruisy session there Roy, I would've been grinning like a cheshire cat after that I reckon!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby danny1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Best rot Stuart clip of all time

You nearly got covered up at one point!

AND I reckon you were tempted to cross step at one point!

Great wave
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Heavy Hitters

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:52 am

Cheers, here's the point in a different mood on Monday last... this time on the Dragon 13-9 as I wrecked a fin on the Makaha during the previous session.

Thanks to Heavy Hitters for the track

http://www.roystuart.biz/2013/02/heavy-hitter-rattlesnake-man.html

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby roberdy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Roy, all good again, your boards have such glide it is lovely to watch. Can I make a request though please? Could you teach your camera person how to zoom and pan a bit so we don't go from a nice full frame shot of your good self to a shot of your ankles? Although I am sure there are some special interest website who would pay good money for those ankle shots....

Would be nice to see the setting you are in, lines pulsing through, what the shorey looks like, crying longboarders who haven't caught any waves, stuff like that!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Cheers Roberdy, panning is happening all the time obviously, it's better not to zoom out though as the rider gets closer,it looks weird to do that. I like the close up shots as it shows the water flow over the tail.

Here's a brief overview of the break during the session, that's my dog on the rocks. This will be part of a ten minute documentary which will be out in a month or so, which will include me yapping on camera :oops:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151276696139109

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Watched that clip this am - all about the glide there Roy. I have a 12ft surfing SUP Roy which in small stuff still has so much momentum - was having a ball in 1 and 2ft waves today....was getting daft long rides :D
skimmer2

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:59 am

There's something about those tiny days...
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby roberdy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:51 am

Fair enough Roy, you gotta decide what you like the most, it is nice to see the water movement over the tail, I guess I was getting distracted by the ankles....
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby flacky » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 pm

roberdy wrote:Fair enough Roy, you gotta decide what you like the most, it is nice to see the water movement over the tail, I guess I was getting distracted by the ankles....

That says more about you than about Roy though...

We've found a spot near one of North Wales main indicators, if it's head high the main spots rammed, easily over 100 in. So this place, which is also nearer, will be waist plus. But peels and peels... Backdrop is stunning, and no one else goes.

Some special days there.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:39 am

Right after the 3 hour session on the Dragon, I took the Ghost 12 out for a slide, the swell had risen slightly, the tide had dropped and an onshore breeze came up. This board weighs half as much as the Dragon at 24 pounds, and is nearly two feet shorter.

http://youtu.be/3R41MDE63PQ
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design