Having another crack...

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Having another crack...

Postby shackattack2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 am

Opportunity has allowed me another crack at making a board. Upon mourning my favourite board (Lost Rocket) which was stolen by some airhead on the Gold Coast, I decided to attempt a similar shape but with a twist. The nose profile is taken from a 6'2" rocket, and the rest is pretty much improvised to make it suitable to the bigger stuff. Think more or less a "Lost rock up". But bein g the amateur I am, I ended up taking a little more width off than I had hoped, so this is called the Lost Cock Up.

Dims are 6'1 1/2" X 19 1/8 X 2 1/2. Full rails with plenty of volume distributed out. Slight hull in the nose into flat then single into middle section, into deep double followed by vee out the tail. Rocker prety much the same as the "rock up". I gouged out a bit of concave on the deck around the front foot area to get that positive feel out of a thicker board. Plenty of volume just up centre where the wide point is for paddling etc etc

All good in theory.... It may be crap. It may be excellent. :-)

http://tomsandbasil.com/
shackattack2

Re: Having another crack...

Postby Morning Light » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 am

That doesn't look to bad, but thrusters not my bag !
Would look awesome with a nice single fin to go with all the foam though ... :wink:
Morning Light

Postby gavtheoldskater » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:37 am

ive got workspace envy!
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby shackattack2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:46 pm

It does have a distinct single fin flavour. If I was in ireland I would definately go that route....maybe even a 2+1

This will be ridden in hollow beachies mostly so looking for something with quicker directional change and squirt. Possibly looking at a 5 fin set up. I'll decide on the day I mark the fins in :lol:

The workspace is perfect! Lucky to get a lend of it
shackattack2

Postby mister-griffster » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Widowmaker :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby 42naminori » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:56 am

Props; Looks like it will scream down the line.

Critique; The double concaves need to be blended much more. They need to be an extension of the rail. I'm sure you could take a straight edge to your favorite board and see what I mean. I'd also add a bit more rocker in the tail and reduce the volume of the tail block as it will fatten up quite a bit with glassing...same goes with the rocker from the pics it looks like you might get some reverse rocker after laps and glass.

You could easily fix all of that in less than an hour or you could just tell me to go fux meself. Either way good luck!
42naminori

Postby shackattack2 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:27 am

Critisism is good!

I ran out of time to glass it (lost the space) and had to ship out of the shed. So I took it down to my local shaper and he's tuning it up for me. His comments were pretty much the same....scream down the line but might have a few issues with turning it. I asked he take some volume off the rails....plus he said to extend the tail rocker just like you said. I don't know why I do it...honestly. The last 3 or 4 boards I attempted I got carried away and satrted making all sorts of weird channels and wings etc thinking I'm Matt Biolos :lol: K.I.S.S. and all that

So by operating on the 2nd opinion principle I'd say your comments are worthy naminori

p.s. what's reverse rocker? :?

I decided on the 5 fin option because it's been a while since I had a quad in my collection. I've ridden Decorators NPJ 2+1 a few times on the bigger days and it is sublime....just might be limiting myself a little with the widowmaker type set up.

Hope to get it sorted before heading to Byron next weekend :-D
shackattack2

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:18 am

Looks great! This thread could well motivate me to pull me finger out and get a shape done

Keep coming with the pics
Archy_is_God

Postby shackattack2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 am

Drum roll....................

Kitty photobomb....

Glassed with a stitched cloth by local shaper Bart Watkins. Rails are chunky. Its got beef up front. It looks like it goes fast.

I'm a skinny 6'3 ish and the board is 6'2 x 19 x 2 1/2. Missed a couple of swells unfortunately and looks like its gone crap for a bit so not sure when I'll get to ride it. Down on the goldie over easter so maybe a few at Kirra :P

Yeah Archy there's nothing like a self shaped board...can't recomend it enough. However being an enviro type the mess stresses me out a little.
shackattack2

Postby shackattack2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:17 am

First outing today at a very average Ti Tree. Waist high, pretty junky, some mini walls in between dead spots. Set up as a quad....home made foam core fins (v small back fins). Goofy foot so on my backhand.

Catches waves beautifully and planes through flat spots with all that volume up front. Paddles perfect through the chop...I hulled out the nose and not sure whether this is responsible for it cutting through the water better. Manouverable...didn't get a chance to beat it off many sections due to the shite conditions though I threw it up vert once and got a bit of rock and roll action over a foamy close out. It felt livelier than I expected (its got chunky rails).

Verdict: Pleased. Hard to judge fully but I reckon it's a goer for hollow overhead fast waves. Gets in early and it's short enough to throw around, with the round pin keeping a check on any funkyness.

I know this would be perfect for a certain long left hollow sandbar back home :p

Oh and it's actually 19 1/8 wide. I hoped for something about 19 3/4 or 20 with less rail volume to give it a more hp feel. This is more like a cruise missile
shackattack2

Postby roberdy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:21 am

looking good there Shack! I think naimori meant reverse rocker as in it ends up curving away from the board line instead of into it ;-)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:43 am

Nice looking board Shack...this forum has gone abit shy at the moment with backyard shapers. Think I might have a pop at another blank soon.
buttholesurfer

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:56 am

That looks right up my street, my kind of dims, too.... :)

Good work and quite inspiring TBH

Let's see these fins then!
Archy_is_God

Postby shackattack2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 am

Fins:

Medium sized....I got them off a guy on ebay. The blues are side bites made by a local fella who did me a 2+1 hull

Few on the beach today out front. I'd describe conditions as "slabby" shoulder high glassy beach break. Short rides (short period swell). Set the board up as thruster and it felt much more pivoty. Handled the steep drops well but just not enough of a wall to batter down the line, wack a few turns and get a real feel for it. Got to see the inside of a few though, with a few lip bashes. It works!

Buzzzzzzzing 8)

Still looking good out there so power nap and back to work!
shackattack2

Postby shackattack2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:01 am

I'd been eyeing up today as the test day for a while and huey didnt dissapoint, delivering solid overhead barrells on the beachie out front. Absolutely noodled after a 4 hour surf (and solid day surfing yesterday too). Clear blue skies, swimming pool water and 30 degrees 8) Good to see after the run of bad weather and crap conditions on the beaches the last few months.

Anyway the board preforms well in this stuff. Really solid on the take off. Its got plenty of inertia when you start battering down the face but feels very controllable. It turns and smacks lips etc but not the same as a shortboard. You just have to apply more poweron the back foot to snap it round. I got one shoulder section off a bomb I managed a really long full rail open shoulder carve that felt beautiful. Just need to be heavier footed than you would on a standard shortboard

It works for what it is I will be happy to keep it in my working quiver. Nothing feels funny about it. When I feel like doing more arse wiggling I'll take the 6'2 Aloha quickshift out, but for solid days it'll be this little fella.

Stoked
shackattack2

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design