Roberts Flexspoon

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Roberts Flexspoon

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:58 am

DSCN0261s.jpg
DSCN0261s.jpg (108.48 KiB) Viewed 640 times

DSCN0259s.jpg
DSCN0259s.jpg (102.94 KiB) Viewed 640 times

DSCN0263s.jpg
DSCN0263s.jpg (53.28 KiB) Viewed 640 times

No, not mine sadly. Built by Roberts Surfboards in Ventura for a Hawaiian friend. I volunteered to pick it up as I was dead keen to check it out, and the waves happened to be good up there! Pretty amazing thing- quad set up, I think the fins are Robin Mair/Hanalei Fin Co templates and the board really does have a lot of flex. I'm dropping it off to be shipped tomorrow so hopefully I'll get a ride report soon.......
surf nonsense: http://waveslide.blogspot.com
Kirk3

Re: Roberts Flexspoon

Postby tynemouthmatt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:14 am

drooling over that........should really make some headway with mine
tynemouthmatt

Postby defever » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:28 am

What... is this?! Why the shape of a shovel? Can you paddle prone on this?

I'm keen to hear what inspired to create such a shape.
defever

Postby Matt Rose » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 am

Phwoar!! Kirk have I seen this on a blog?
Matt Rose

Postby flacky » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:56 am

defever wrote:What... is this?! Why the shape of a shovel? Can you paddle prone on this?

I'm keen to hear what inspired to create such a shape.

Greenough. End of.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby defever » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Okay I've come across that name enough so I shall look into who is Mr George Greenough and his legacy... I expect to be amazed.

Thanks flacky!
defever

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Defever, definitely check Greenough out- he did so much stuff that was so ahead of it's time- mats, kneeboards, fins, boats- surfing's greatest design genius I'd say this is worth a look, 25 secs of George redifining the act of waveriding: http://youtu.be/cVS0bH2GDeQ
Here's a few more of the board, I'm about to head off and hand it over to Jeff at Ninelights who's shipping it along with a board he made that I'll try to get some pictures of, and a DVS Hydrohull fish- decent haul of boards!
DSCN0260s.jpg
DSCN0260s.jpg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 555 times

DSCN0262s.jpg
DSCN0262s.jpg (118.23 KiB) Viewed 555 times

DSCN0264s.jpg
DSCN0264s.jpg (129.13 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Kirk3

Postby defever » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 am

I blindly assumed that the board is meant for stand up surfing! I was wondering how one can stand on such a glass thin deck... doh.

Very interesting. Absolutely nothing like what I see on surf shop racks like Webber, Al Merrick, McTavish, Quiver, JS, JP, etc...
defever

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:48 pm

^ Defever - you can actually get stand-up versions of this board - Kirk3 or Seasofcheese can fill you in ;)

I'd be VERY interested in hearing how this goes Kirk3 - Greenough was lightyears ahead of his time - no doubt - (Great segment in Fantastic Plastic Machine on him at the end) - but one thing has always slightly bothered me about the flex-spoon design of his - on the drop,or speed trimming across a wave theres a lot of 'bounce' from natural chop on the water and the spoon is obviously maxing out - however, once the thing is rolled onto it's rail it becomes a different animal - perfectly smooth and true lines through the turn, carrying speed and power where other boards lose it. -Amazing. There's an 'itch' that has to be scratched tho - and that is how to make it trim and gain speed as smoothly as those turns. The 'itch' is no doubt my own ignorance when it comes to hydrodynamics. Just wondering if the foil / fin placement of this quad addresses that issue?

To be an all-round surfer I kind of think we all need one of these in the quiver - seasofcheese, we may need to talk ;)
mister-griffster

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:48 pm

^ Defever - you can actually get stand-up versions of this board - Kirk3 or Seasofcheese can fill you in ;)

I'd be VERY interested in hearing how this goes Kirk3 - Greenough was lightyears ahead of his time - no doubt - (Great segment in Fantastic Plastic Machine on him at the end) - but one thing has always slightly bothered me about the flex-spoon design of his - on the drop,or speed trimming across a wave theres a lot of 'bounce' from natural chop on the water and the spoon is obviously maxing out - however, once the thing is rolled onto it's rail it becomes a different animal - perfectly smooth and true lines through the turn, carrying speed and power where other boards lose it. -Amazing. There's an 'itch' that has to be scratched tho - and that is how to make it trim and gain speed as smoothly as those turns. The 'itch' is no doubt my own ignorance when it comes to hydrodynamics. Just wondering if the foil / fin placement of this quad addresses that issue?

To be an all-round surfer I kind of think we all need one of these in the quiver - seasofcheese, we may need to talk ;)
mister-griffster

Postby mister-griffster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Hell yeah Joe - that's one sweet piece of craftsmanship - my my, there's some talented peeps on this forum - and some stinkbugs like me :lol: _ you gotta tweet that when it's done, and give us a ride report!
mister-griffster

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:02 am

"To be an all-round surfer I kind of think we all need one of these in the quiver"

Hey Griff... nice thought but I'd make sure you feel one first and preferably paddle it too... these things have zero buoyancy and are surprisingly heavy...you need to be in great shape to use these properly...I used to think I'd like one until I realised quite what was involved...they also really want a nice wave too! Greenough is a legend.
mrkmrk2842

Postby Matt Rose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Matt Rose

Postby JoeHart » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Cheers boys, can't beat a bit of paulowina. In fact it the last of my stash so happy and sad to see it used. The boards really light with a good flew pattern to it, more of a velo/paipo hybrid but still think it will do the business on the left reef it was designed for. Should float pretty well, as well and who knows I may even beable to stand on it!! Taken ages to get done because of work and kids but glass the fin bases tomorrow then a couple of spray coats of varnish. I'll do some good photos and reports when finished.

Cheers Joe
JoeHart

Postby mister-griffster » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Very nice Joe - you got bigger balls than me taking on the slab I think you're taking on ;) good on ya mate - can't wait to hear how it goes
mister-griffster

Postby Kirk3 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Joe,
that board looks amazing (as does the wave!). The guy who owns the Flexspoon has apparently talking to Jeff at Ninelights about a compsand paipo project so I'm hoping that will come off as I bet it'll be an interesting collaboration. What's the weight like on that board- I was surprised at how heavy the spoon was, but they are meant to have negative buoyancy and you can see why the boards fly once all that mass and low centre of gravity gets moving!
Kirk3

Postby flacky » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:51 pm

How many layers of glass are you talking on that?
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby JoeHart » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Cheers Kirk, I'm loving the paipos at the mo. That would be such a cool project. I was thinking about doing one a while back (manage to salvage some hi tec carbon honeycomb sheets) The wooden velo is really light (similar to a standard shortboard) and has positive buoyancy, luckily I'm a fat bugger (15 stone) so the end effect should be similar. And the wave............it doesn't get big only 4ft but then it gets wide, and bigger it breaks on a slightly different reef. Heres some footage, mums the word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3JLldCUCsE

cheers Joe
JoeHart

Postby zboy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Kirk3 wrote:
DSCN0261s.jpg

DSCN0259s.jpg

DSCN0263s.jpg

No, not mine sadly. Built by Roberts Surfboards in Ventura for a Hawaiian friend. I volunteered to pick it up as I was dead keen to check it out, and the waves happened to be good up there! Pretty amazing thing- quad set up, I think the fins are Robin Mair/Hanalei Fin Co templates and the board really does have a lot of flex. I'm dropping it off to be shipped tomorrow so hopefully I'll get a ride report soon.......

sweet as :-)
zboy

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Mental

Wish my knees were good enough to actually try something like that out
Archy_is_God

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design