What is a "standard shortboard"?!

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

What is a "standard shortboard"?!

Postby defever » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Hello forum users,

It has been bugging me for a while so I thought I'd put it on here. I am prepared to receive reasonable answers as well as useless jokes and cynical answers on this...

Flicking through the world wide web, I see several board shapes referring to "standard shortboard" dimension for a comparison. For example it's quite common these days to read something like:

Order this board x -x inches shorter, x x/x inches wider and x/x inch thinner than your standard shortboard.

Well, what is the "standard" shortboard? And what is the "standard" shortboard for me??
Who says what is "standard" for a shortoard, and "the standard" for me?
Is it referring to the allegedly universal dimension 6'0" x 18" 1/2 x 2" 1/4?? Surely that's not a "standard" shortboard for everyone...

It wouldn't matter if I speak to a shaper directly and have a shared decision on what is to be made, but these "standard shortboard" comparison seems to be a common guideline. And this is written in both corporate big brand and passionate hand shapers' websites. WHY the comparison? Am I missing something?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you!
defever

Re: What is a "standard shortboard"?!

Postby Black » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:31 pm

They are giving you a way of judging how the "new" shape rides by comparison to your stock thruster you may ride. I would judge the stock thruster as roughly your height long by thickness/width according to your build. Its using the shortboard common thruster as the standard & if you don't ride one its not much help!!
Never growing old together...
Black

Re: What is a "standard shortboard"?!

Postby mister-griffster » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:10 pm

^ What Black says - it basically assumes that your riding a thruster suited to your specific ability / height / weight - it's a rough guide is all - unless you're kelly slater you'll be hard pressed to tell a massive difference in a 6'1 or 6'2 of a certain shape.

Basically, do yourself a favour - scrub the current board market hyperbole and go back to the guys of the late 60's / early 70's - guys like Greenough, McTavish, Peterson, Fitzgerald, Brewer, Lynch et al - in a 6 year period these guys came up with every conceivable shape under the sun - you'll learn more about boards form the mistakes / successes that these guys had in their board development which informas every shape we ride today - you'll get a far better grounding on surfboards and what works and why - you can then sidestep the modern BS / sales-speak and then learn / decide in what works for you and not what someone is trying to sell you.

Good luck mate - it's a wide world out there once you get away from 3 fins ;)
mister-griffster

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design