Any tips on fixing a creased poly resin board?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Any tips on fixing a creased poly resin board?

Postby KJW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 pm

So I'm new to this forum, hopefully you guys can give me some direction on how to fix a creased and dinged up board. I've been told not to try repairs myself by all the surf shops I've called looking for advice but i might as well learn how to sometime or another. Anyways, i have a light 6' performance board made from polyester resin from what i was told by the guy i bought it from. It's got a crease right across the whole board with a little bit of cracking at the rails as well as a couple golf ball size dings which I'd also like to smooth out if possible. What I'm looking to find out is the procedure to go about fixing the crease and dings and what i would need to carry out the repair. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Cheers
KJW

Re: Any tips on fixing a creased poly resin board?

Postby KJW » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:23 am

So I'm new to this forum, hopefully you guys can give me some direction on how to fix a creased and dinged up board. I've been told not to try repairs myself by all the surf shops I've called looking for advice but i might as well learn how to sometime or another. Anyways, i have a light 6' performance board made from polyester resin from what i was told by the guy i bought it from. It's got a crease right across the whole board with a little bit of cracking at the rails as well as a couple golf ball size dings which I'd also like to smooth out if possible. What I'm looking to find out is the procedure to go about fixing the crease and dings and what i would need to carry out the repair. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Cheers
Attachments
IMG00639-20130309-0924.jpg
IMG00639-20130309-0924.jpg (240.45 KiB) Viewed 272 times
IMG00638-20130309-0924.jpg
IMG00638-20130309-0924.jpg (239.05 KiB) Viewed 272 times
IMG00637-20130309-0923.jpg
IMG00637-20130309-0923.jpg (236.04 KiB) Viewed 272 times
KJW

Postby Rickyroughneck » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Pfft, don't listen to the surf shops. Most repairs they do, you could do at home much cheaper if you are determined enough.

There is no good fix for a creased board. You could patch over the area, but the patch wouldn't be load bearing because it wouldn't be under tension until the board starts to break apart.

It doesn't look that bad though, I would just continue surfing it. If it breaks, reattach the two ends.
Rickyroughneck

Postby Black » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Looks more like its been cranked too hard on a roofrack and creased the surface. Unless you are turning so hard you need perfect flex its maybe not a bother.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby KJW » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:24 am

It's not that bad I guess, if I sanded down a strip about half an inch on either side of the crease and filled it with resin would that help? Would I have to lay some fibreglass cloth down also? I wouldn't need to cut any of the board out right? I mean resin will stick to resin if it's been sanded and roughed up?
KJW

Postby prjwebb » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:16 pm

filling it with resin will just create a stiff breaking point i reckon.
prjwebb

Postby usedtobe69 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:22 pm

that boards fucked, get it repaired properly or it'll fold in half real soon, you can see the rail is gone at the end of the crease, hope you didnt pay much for it.
usedtobe69

Postby coxie » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm with jimo on this one
It's gonna snap with the rail damage.
If you bought all the materials to do it it would cost a bit as you wouldn't have enough materials in a standard ding kit for the work that needs to be done.
You will need to fill the dents then re glass a good 8 inches past either side of the crease in a diamond shape.

It would be a proper ball ache without a decent sander and flat pad, if its not done properly its not really worth doing at all.
Take it to someone in your area that actually does board repairs not a middle man that adds commission and you will probably be looking at £45

Where abouts are you bud? So we can recommend someone in your area
coxie

Postby Leven » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Take it to a pro, and get it repaired properly. However it gets repaired will change how it flex's anyway, and so make it more likely to break.

I certainly wouldn't just fill it with resin, that'll create a stiff point, and make it more likely to break either side.
Leven

Postby swiggy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Just to throw another spanner in the works, I've got a 6'1 that has creases just like that in 3 different places along the board, its been like that for 2 years. The thing is beat to shit and I still use it at a couple of slabby brims-ness like reefs to avoid breaking boards I care about. Depending on how much you paid, and how attached you are to the board I'd be tempted just to ride it until it snaps then throw it away, it might last longer than you think. Its all a lottery anyway, I broke a new board the 3rd time I surfed it in 3ft waves, then I've had a creased board last years in much heavier waves. So much luck involved..

Maybe a little bit of re-glassing at the rail if its obviously damaged there.

I fixed a creased board myself and was never really happy with it afterwards, just didn't go as well as it used to, hard to put finger on what was wrong with it, probably flex related/board was twisted a bit or something. But it was my first go at fixing a creased board, a pro job and you might never tell the difference. :?
swiggy

Postby KJW » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:23 am

I'm living in hermanus, south africa. Already have a mate of mine that owns a surf shop who's going to have a look at it on wednesday. I have been surfing it in some big surf still, around 6ft and it never snapped but I just don't want the water to fuck it up so I've been drying it out for a couple days. Even if I don't fix the crease I just want to clean up the areas where water will be getting in. Ie. The rails and some small cracks around the dinged areas. So for those smaller cracks I could just sand them down and apply a layer of resin? Payed R1800 for the board, not a such a train smash... If I had to fix it though how deep would I have to sand down and would you put a triangular sheet(s) of fibreglass cloth on either side of the stringer, or one large piece that would go over the whole width of the board?
KJW

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design