what fins...any help greatly appreciated...

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

what fins...any help greatly appreciated...

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Hey all hoping to pick a few brains here...

I've just bought a 9' performance longboard with fcs thruster set up... not my normal ride and I'm unsure how fin size requirement is affected by the length of the board where a thruster set up is concerned... at a fraction under 11 stone what fins would you recommend? Hoping for a good all round preferably not plastic fin set. If anyone happens to have any for sale I'm not too bothered about condition as long as they're structurally sound. By the way the board is a surftech k-star Rapoza if you want to check out the tail shape (it's pretty pulled in).
Thanks in advance!
mrkmrk2842

Re: what fins...any help greatly appreciated...

Postby Chai Wallah » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:36 pm

I used to like a nine plus cutaway 7 inch with a Stephen slater tri fin and worked well

http://nineplus.com/fin_cutaway.php
Chai Wallah

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Simon Anderson large thruster set. Can't go wrong.
buttholesurfer

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Chai... thanks for the good suggestion.. I've had a few 2 plus 1s but this is actually a thruster set up so no centre box.

Steve - so a large set isn't going to be too much fin for me at my size? This is exactly the info I was after... if you look at the recommended size fins for my weight I'd go with small or medium sizes... are you suggesting I go bigger because the board is bigger? thanks again...
mrkmrk2842

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 pm

You've got to factor in the thing isn't 6' but 9', your trying to turn more board, with a log you'll have more rail line in the water, so you'll need large templates to give more push. They have a less rake so I'm sure they'll do a fine job.
buttholesurfer

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 pm

Chai Wallah wrote:I used to like a nine plus cutaway 7 inch with a Stephen slater tri fin and worked well

http://nineplus.com/fin_cutaway.php

Naughty naughty Chai, no speed reading.
buttholesurfer

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 pm

thanks mate - that's what I was thinking but had nothing to base the theory on other than my own presumptions...
just seen that the large SA-2s come in at £74.99 - a bit too much for me at the moment so now on the look out for something similar or better still a second hand pair of SA-2s... anyone?!
mrkmrk2842

Postby flacky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 pm

I always liked the FCDS Rusty Presendorfer templates on larger shortboards. Pretty big fins, I think JP make thruster longboards, maybe mail them for advice? Or check the fins used on the McCallum quad longboards?
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks Flacky... seems like a larg set of fins is what I'm after...because it's a bit of an experiment I'll put up an ad in the wanted section and see what's around at a half decent price...
appreciate the input from you all... thanks!
mrkmrk2842

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design