Anyone know of a good glasser in the south west Uk?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Anyone know of a good glasser in the south west Uk?

Postby davusp » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:10 am

Hello all.

I've just finished shaping up my first board and want to get her glassed. Shaping is one thing, but to do a half decent glass job is something I'm not feeling too confident about taking on, primarily as I kinda don't want to wreck what I've done!

Cheers

Dave
davusp

Re: Anyone know of a good glasser in the south west Uk?

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Where are you?

There's Laminations, Foam Asylum, Diplock Phoenix, Gulfstream, the Black and White chaps....

Are you planning on sanding it yourself?
Archy_is_God

Postby Leven » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:05 pm

The south west is pretty broad! Devon? Cornwall? North/South? East/West?!
Leven

Postby davusp » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:19 am

Thanks both for replying! Much appreciated.

I'm in south gloucestershire, but don't mind dropping off as I tend to hit North Devon and south wales pretty regularly. I'm after getting my fins glassed in too, so don't know if this complicates matters.

I tried contacting laminations via email and phone call but never seem to get a response. I wondered if they'd gone out of business?
davusp

Postby Leny » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Paul Blacker in North Devon
Leny

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Leny wrote:Paul Blacker in North Devon

Good call
Archy_is_God

Postby flacky » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Last edited by flacky on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby flacky » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Ellie Miller!!!!! On here as poodleparlourpam
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby davusp » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:24 am

thanks all.I've seen Ellie's boards on twitter and her blog, she makes great boards for sure.
davusp

Postby dada » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi,Diplock just outside Wadebridge is a superb glasser,they have years of experience,very important as there are quite a few relative beginners out there.Until you have made at least 100 boards i dont think you have enough experience.Cheers Dada.
dada

Postby Craivold » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:20 pm

If you're interested in learning to glass the board yourself (would be a shame not to after shaping it no?) give Chris Hartop a shout https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lovefoam ... e&refid=17 or https://twitter.com/Eviltwinfin

He really knows his stuff and will take you through it every step to make sure you don't ruin all that good work.... Am making a board with his help at the moment and I think it could have gone pretty wayward without his watchful eye on the case :shock:
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby poodleparlourpam » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Dont be afraid to have a go at glassing yourself.... really its not rocket science! :lol: Its nerve wracking the first time, thats true, but if you've had the balls to shape something then why dont you think have enough skill to glass it.? :-) dont listen to all the naysayers!... there are so many scaremongers who will tell you that you will balls it up, i had it loads before i finally stumbled upon Tim (mason) who said exactly what im saying to you and He was totally right. :-) im very glad i listened to Tim. glassing has become one of my favourite parts of board building. its very satisfying, and really good fun.

I was really unsure about glassing my first shape...for exactly the same reasons as you...didnt want to screw up all that hard work, but after being convinced to give it a go i realised its not quite the big deal everyone makes it out to be. Its hard, yes, but you and you alone will know if you have what it takes to pull it off. it Is good to be a bit anal where glassing is concerned! :lol:
you have to be ubber prepared and leave absolutely nothing to chance, but its not as bad as everyone makes out. there are horror stories in their thousands!...but dont let them put you off. once you've done it a few times, then you re-read these tales of horror, you realise most the time it goes wrong because people do really, really, stupid things, and go into it having done bugger all research,and are using zero common sense.

Glassing on fins can be a little tricky, but if you take your time, its o.k too :-)

Steve Pirsch has a good guide if you havnt seen it already: http://www.surfersteve.com/glassing.htm. worth a read. :-)

:-D
poodleparlourpam

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design