Board progression

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Board progression

Postby OllieWhit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm sure this gets thrown up a lot on here, but I could do with a bit of guidance with regards to my next step...

Basically, I've been surfing from beginner level since Easter last year (except for a 4 month break in which I was away), going down everyday there's even a slight hint of a wave, so I'd like to think I've progressed relatively quickly. I've been surfing an 8'4" bic, I can get up on most waves, ride across it, and sling a few turns around. But I'm looking to get a new board, something smaller maybe around a 7'2"? Just something that's a bit faster,more manoeuvrable, and I can duck dive- the usual really.
I hear a fish is usually the next step? What do you guys reckon? Anyone selling anything that might be alright (north east)? A mate recommended this- http://store.magicseaweed.com/7S-Super- ... tem/18832/ but he said to contact the guy running k&k surfboards in Newcastle and see if he can shape me something similar for less, as that is just too much money....
Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
OllieWhit

Re: Board progression

Postby poodleparlourpam » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:52 am

An 8'4 bic is a great board to start on :-) ... very stable, easy boards, and you obviously feel ready to progress on, but i'd just be a little careful about going too small too soon, as it can really hinder your progression, and its a mistake many of us have made in our first years of surfing

I mean its hard to give advice as to particular boards without knowing someone's level, but, but My personal opinion (and its only my opinion! :-) ) is jumping down to a 7'2 super fish is a very big drop in size, that may prove a little too much. the difference in stability, and paddleability will be huge

those bics are so fat and floaty, and stiff and slow, which makes them great incredibly easy to ride, beginners boards...So the thing is you wouldnt necessarily need to drop length much or if atall,( in fact you could even go longer).., and still have a board thats much faster in the water,and far more manuverable than what you have now, but is also still nice and easy to paddle.....that way you keep your wave count up, and get to progress on quickly with your turns etc.

think of your next board as a stepping stone to the next one. buying second hand is a option worth considering, as you arnt continualy loosing money on brand new ones! I'd recommend something like either an 8 to an 8 and a half foot mal, or even better ,a large (7'10 ish? ) magic carpet type of board with plenty of volume and width. will go like s**t off a shovel compared to your bic! :lol:

:-)
poodleparlourpam

Postby OllieWhit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks so much for the reply! Felt sure I wasn't going to get one!

You make a good point about getting a fun, fast, and manoeuvrable board that's not significantly shorter, never even looked at it like that before!

Had a quick look at the for sale section on here and found these two:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37729

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37811

Not so sure about the second one, with such a sharp nose on it it may be too advanced? But with it being just round the corner from me and a good size thought it was worth looking at.... The first one looks pretty fun though! Looks like it will shift better than my big fat bic, what do you think?

Sorry to pester but it sounds like you know your stuff!
OllieWhit

Postby poodleparlourpam » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am

you are welcome :-)

If i HAD to choose between the two then it would be the fluid juice, hands down...but before you do anything find out the thickness of the board. this is really important, bearing in mind your bic will measure 8'4 x 23 1/4 wide and around 3 1/4 thick, it has PLENTY of volume!..loads in fact. to simplify things abit...... volume keeps you floating, which keeps you planning, which makes paddling easier, which makes catching waves easier. A surfboard is just a big float really. drop too much volume and you will struggle.

when trying to find your new board, dont just look at the length, look at the width and the thickness...all of this combine to create the volume of the board. id be looking for something 7'8 -8'2, X 2 3/4 - 3 " thick, and around 22 -23 " wide. out of interest how tall are you and what do you weigh??

also bear in mind i am simpyfying thing alot here!! there are many other factors , like rocker , and outline which should influence your descision. like you pointed out th second board had way to far advanced an outline.

it can be hard to choose a suitable board. shop sales can be helpful if you describe your ability etc, but you also have to remember they are still there to sell you something off their racks!....people dont always leave a shop with something suitable. Ideally you could go to your local shaper..they would build you something suitable. But its not the cheapest option, and you could probably do with trying out something other than your tank of a bic, to see what diection you want to go in before you invest big bucks! :-)

:-D PPP

/www.facebook.com/pages/Miller-Surfboards
poodleparlourpam

Postby Rickyroughneck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Get a secondhand board that is the biggest size you can duckdive. Continue using your bic but on days where you need a little more help getting out back, switch down a size.

As you progress you will get a much better feel for things. At the moment the key is not to spend too much money on a board which you are still likely to progress from. £150ish would be a good budget.
Rickyroughneck

Postby zboy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:56 am

hi buy a mal or longboard,my first board was an egg,still got it. but what ever you have there is pro's and con's with a longboard it could be a keeper, so you have not wasted your money, only space.if you can get out back on a 5ft day with your longboard you would be able to do anything :lol: :-)
zboy

Postby OllieWhit » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for the replies!

I ended up going for the 7'8" fluid juice board I posted above! After speaking to the person selling it she said she had it shaped for her when she was in the same position as me... It's not too different in length or witdth, however it is fairly thinner than my bic with much more of a nose on it as I'm sure you know. But I'm not expecting to be up on it straight away, it's gonna take a good amount of sessions to get used to her...

Thanks again for all the replies though, didn't expect so many!

Happy surfing!
OllieWhit

Postby dermo909 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:11 am

zboy wrote:if you can get out back on a 5ft day with your longboard you would be able to do anything :lol: :-)

I love surfing bigger waves on my longboard! 5' would be pushing it a bit but its soooooo much fun!
dermo909

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design