Tiki vs Firewire

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Tiki vs Firewire

Postby Tozer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 am

I'm narrowing my search for a new board & just trailed a very nice Tiki FFS 6'6
Price wise they are nearly the same as Firewire & the Potatonator looks interesting (My local place doesn't have a firewire I can play with)
however when looking at the forums although FW have a good rep, I'm getting they ding quiet easily & may have build issues, so I'm thinking the carbon fibre & bamboo of the Tiki may sever me better.

I'm looking at these boards to give me a long lasting board with volume as I could have a custom made board locally for the same money

thanks for you thoughts.....
Tozer

Re: Tiki vs Firewire

Postby flacky » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 am

Go local. Diplock, Empire, bombproof
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Leven » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

I'll second that about Diplock. Got two of their boards, both second hand, and both solid. Took one out at solid 8ft Porthleven on Sat, leash was ripped off my ankle, board washed up on the rocks, and not a scratch on it!
Leven

Postby usedtobe69 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:11 pm

flacky wrote:Go local. Diplock, Empire, bombproof

this^^^,

500+ quid for an asian made water drinker? no thanks.
usedtobe69

Postby twinfin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Dont rule out luke young either i have had diplock and luke young both top quality boards and i believe they use the same blanks top quality products for less than you pay for imported crap . No brainer
twinfin

Postby coxie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 pm

usedtobe69 wrote:

this^^^,

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.79 KiB) Viewed 745 times
coxie

Postby Black » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Tozer try North Shore in Newquay for Firewire demos (it came up in another thread), also I have a Diplock you can check out, not quite what you're looking for though... I'm not stalking honest! I know folk with Firewire (some with difficulties but not all bad) but nobody with Tiki that I can think of. At the end of the day do you want to deal with a sales rep or the guy that made it?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:30 pm

usedtobe69 wrote:

this^^^,

Any board with an eps core will "drink water".
Doesn't matter who made them or where they made them.
My DVS full carbon and eps board which would make £500+ cheap in comparison will suck like a $20 whore if dinged.
Now tell us about how your board has a soul. :roll:
Cuttlefish

Postby usedtobe69 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
usedtobe69 wrote:

this^^^,

My DVS full carbon and eps board which would make £500+ cheap in comparison will suck like a $20 whore if dinged.
Now tell us about how your board has a soul. :roll:

yeh fuck off cuttlefish, where did i mention soul?

eps boards with bamboo/skinned decks are a disaster if they take in water, its the whole reason so many people crease firewires ffs.

the guy wants a long lasting board, that build isn't it.
usedtobe69

Postby Leven » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm

For me, this is a pretty simple deal.

Why do you want bamboo/carbon fibre/all that jazz? If you want a long lasting board, just get it glassed right. 6+6 on the deck, and it'll last a fair while, or if you're a big guy/heavy footed get a little more. Carbon strips just cause stress /brittle areas where they finish. Bamboo is great until it comes away from the foam.

If you really want a long lasting board, double your budget and get a complete wood one.

Or for the price of a Firewire, you can pretty much get two boards shaped by a local shaper with a life of experience and water time for you, as opposed to one board made by 8 year old girls in Taiwan. You'll also get exactly what you want, with foam where you want and need it, rocker where you want it, lines where you want them, and performance characteristics where you want them too. I recently got a board shaped that was thicker than I've ever surfed, but kept the rails really thinned out. The result? Something that paddles like it's a foot longer, and surfs like it's a foot shorter!

Nothing to do with soul, just common sense, getting what you really want and need, and supporting someone local.
Leven

Postby Black » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 pm

^^ That reminds me, know a guy who took a Firewire shape to Quiver and tweaked it for three slightly different boards at a great price.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Leven wrote:For me, this is a pretty simple deal.

Why do you want bamboo/carbon fibre/all that jazz? If you want a long lasting board, just get it glassed right. 6+6 on the deck, and it'll last a fair while, or if you're a big guy/heavy footed get a little more. Carbon strips just cause stress /brittle areas where they finish. Bamboo is great until it comes away from the foam.

If you really want a long lasting board, double your budget and get a complete wood one.

Or for the price of a Firewire, you can pretty much get two boards shaped by a local shaper with a life of experience and water time for you, as opposed to one board made by 8 year old girls in Taiwan. You'll also get exactly what you want, with foam where you want and need it, rocker where you want it, lines where you want them, and performance characteristics where you want them too. I recently got a board shaped that was thicker than I've ever surfed, but kept the rails really thinned out. The result? Something that paddles like it's a foot longer, and surfs like it's a foot shorter!

o
Nothing to do with soul, just common sense, getting what you really want and need, and supporting someone local.

You advise about using common sense right after throwing the "made by 8 year old girls in Taiwan" kind of ruins your credibility.
Cuttlefish

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:30 pm

500+ quid for an asian made water drinker? no thanks.[/quote]
Now tell us about how your board has a soul. :roll:[/quote]
yeh fuck off cuttlefish, where did i mention soul?

eps boards with bamboo/skinned decks are a disaster if they take in water, its the whole reason so many people crease firewires ffs.

the guy wants a long lasting board, that build isn't it.[/quote]

Come and say it to my face. Lol.
Firewire don't just use rapidfire as a construction type.

Any EPS board will suck water so the owner needs to get it out of the water asap then dry it out properly and repair it.
Cuttlefish

Postby usedtobe69 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
Come and say it to my face. Lol.
Firewire don't just use rapidfire as a construction type.

Any EPS board will suck water so the owner needs to get it out of the water asap then dry it out properly and repair it.

nah you're good, i don't really like australia, unless you're paying? then i'll happily come :-D

the op is asking specifically about the bamboo style of boards from tiki, which looks like a rapidfire ripoff, both less than stellar surfboard builds as far as longevity goes,

eps is a bad choice of core for anyone who dings boards, less than average surfers are prone to dings from being generally clumsy fucks,

i don't ding mine so it's fine for me, i like eps, despite it's HUGE flaws as a surfboard core.

i like really some of the firewire shapes, but would never pay the full retail price for them, trade+vat(£350-410ish??) and then i'd be more interested.
usedtobe69

Postby Leven » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
Leven wrote:For me, this is a pretty simple deal.

o

You advise about using common sense right after throwing the "made by 8 year old girls in Taiwan" kind of ruins your credibility.

It's called sarcasm. Look it up. Reputedly the highest form of intelligence.
Leven

Postby flacky » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 pm

How are they justifying these prices? I can understand why Al Merrick wants to charge 500 notes for a shortboard, I used to understand how shapers charged more for trad fish as they had to use long blanks to keep the thickness with the flattened rocker, but now they are making blanks purely for these boards, so why the price? I thought EPS was supposed to repel water ingress?
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Actually Leven sarcasm is known as the lowest form of wit.
Carry on showing everyone how smart you are. :wink:
Cuttlefish

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Hi Flacky,
Surftech are using a foam that doesn't suck water like eps does.
Just about everyone else is using eps that's sucks.
Usedtobe69 I can't afford to be flying you over to beat me up.
I spend too much money on handshaped surfboards to afford that.
Just get the decorator to come around and give me a kicking since he's on the Sunny coast now. :)
Cuttlefish

Postby kayu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 am

The EPS/suck water thing , pertains mainly to an eps core that has been shaped , and glassed with epoxy.......also cutting corners out of the production process to lower production costs , and make more profit per board.......the quest for "ultra-light" high performance boards is probably responsible for most of this.......a good eps core , with a properly made skin and rail system ( wood -- carbon---modern composite tech) will always be far more durable and ding resistant to any poly board that has been glassed too light............a 4oz glass job on a PU / PE blank is asking for trouble , and they fail repeatedly unless wrapped in cotton wool for their whole existance......but people continue to do it , to achieve ultra-light weights.............and big surfboard companies continue to cut corners to make more profit.....(lol).....if you got some local boardmakers , that make good boards to your liking , treat 'em well , they're gold.....without them we're on the road to oblivion !.. :lol:
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby Leven » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:38 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Actually Leven sarcasm is known as the lowest form of wit.

"Lowest form of wit, highest form of intelligence" so goes the saying....like I said, look it up, you might learn something.
Leven

Postby Rickyroughneck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:16 pm

kayu wrote:The EPS/suck water thing , pertains mainly to an eps core that has been shaped , and glassed with epoxy.......also cutting corners out of the production process to lower production costs

EPS sucking water is due to it being open cell. Construction method has nothing to do with it.

Extruded PS (XTR) is waterproof, confusingly sometimes also called EPS. I am baffled as to why more surfboard makers don't use it; it isn't particularly expensive either, still cheaper than PU.
Rickyroughneck

Postby prjwebb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 pm

The issue with XTR is the gassing/delam issues. i know there are ways of minimising/preventing it but I imagine it puts a lot of shapers off because they'd rather not risk it.
prjwebb

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:19 pm

Leven wrote:

"Lowest form of wit, highest form of intelligence" so goes the saying....like I said, look it up, you might learn something.

Oops must have missed the part where you actually used sarcasm in your post. :oops:
Cuttlefish

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Rickyroughneck wrote:
kayu wrote:The EPS/suck water thing , pertains mainly to an eps core that has been shaped , and glassed with epoxy.......also cutting corners out of the production process to lower production costs

EPS sucking water is due to it being open cell. Construction method has nothing to do with it.

Extruded PS (XTR) is waterproof, confusingly sometimes also called EPS. I am baffled as to why more surfboard makers don't use it; it isn't particularly expensive either, still cheaper than PU.

FEPS (fused expanded polystyrene) is used by Surftech and they say it doesn't "off-gas or suck water" like EPS.
Cuttlefish

Postby usedtobe69 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:28 pm

XTR is it's own brand of extruded polystyrene foam, xps/ixps is extruded polystyrene too, it does delam if it gets hot apparently, XTR doesn't (although my footwells are spongy,no big deal though)

you can only get XTR in the states from XTR themselves, i believe and they are the only ones allowed to glass it.

escape in kernow do loads of ixps boards, i haven't heard too much about any problems they have, i'll more than likely use it when i shape my next boards after my tomos die.

the stuff is so tough it's crazy, and water proof :shock: shapers probably don't use it because most people don't even know it exists so don't get asked for it.
usedtobe69

Postby usedtobe69 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
FEPS (fused expanded polystyrene) is used by Surftech and they say it doesn't "off-gas or suck water" like EPS.

is that the stuff the simon anderson surftechs are made from?
usedtobe69

Postby Leven » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:45 pm

When did Surftech change how they make boards then? Saw one a while ago that was snapped, and it was literally like polystyrene under a layer of plastic! Awful thing!

Cuttlefish wrote:
Leven wrote:

Oops must have missed the part where you actually used sarcasm in your post. :oops:

See? You've learnt something already! :wink:
Leven

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:02 pm

But who is schooling who?
:idea:
Anyway, sun's just come up and it's time to go and hug a tree.
Well, part of a tree.
It's Alaia time.
The water is warm and the wind is offshore here on the Sunshine Coast on this fine Autumn day.
There's a fine sandbank with a hollow little left that will be perfect for some glide and slide as the tide drops.
8)
Cuttlefish

Postby Jamez » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:39 pm

sucks water????

more like some of the advice here is sucks ass!

Ive ridden plenty of epoxy eps boards from china and pleny of quality pu boards from top uk and abroad shapers

Lets get one thing straight all manufactuers will have quality control isues and produce a couple of shit boards....so dont get hung up on the....."yeh i know some guy who creased his firewire....etc." crap some of the guys are posting here.

Firewire wise ive owned about 6 over the last 10 years and the FST construction is the most durable strongest board out there....ive ridden an alternator for over 2 years cleaned it up and it lked like new...not a single compression dent on it.....and hand shap would have been fuked after a solid 2 years......i drove over my sweet P recently, flipped a fin plug out however there wasnt a mark on the board.

However the Rapidfire Firewire i will admit is the biggest ile of shi t to ever come out. stay away. Stick with FST.

Plenty of good handshapers out there who will do epoxy or polyester if that takes your fancy

Getting the right shape will be key to getting a good board......

HAPPY huntinG

J :wink:

BTW - before anybody gets on my back about local shapers...etc., im currently riding one Firewire FST and 2 x hand shaped JP's...all go well!!
Jamez

Postby usedtobe69 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:17 am

Jamez wrote:
Firewire wise ive owned about 6 over the last 10 years and the FST construction is the most durable strongest board out there....

This is misleading, there are many tougher/stronger builds than FST.

Fst will still suck water if gets dinged, like any other EPS cored board, apart from the newer surftechs it seems.
usedtobe69

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design