Tiki vs Firewire

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Tiki vs Firewire

Postby Leven » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Bearded Gimp wrote:
Leven wrote:I'll tell you what really gets me though (a little off topic!), is Channel Islands (amongst others that do this too) and how they shape boards. I can buy an Al Merrick and it'll cost me the best part of £600. As I'm in Europe, that's been shaped by machine and finished/glassed under license in France. To me, that defeats the point of buying an Al Merrick! What do I get for my money? A French guy running a machine and an Al Merrick template. I may as well go to someone local, and pay half that for the same template, just with a different sticker on. I do try and apply this philosophy to most things in life....I buy bread from the local bakers etc. Unfortunately, it's not always practical or convenient to it though!

It's not just the template though is it, it's the whole board. So rocker profile, bottom contours, rail sharpness etc etc. As you found (I think it was you) with your local dumpster diver copy that was a piece of shit, just copying the template gets you about a tenth of the way there.

Not me! I had one made locally, just not quite enough volume (length actually, I went too short), so sold it on. Board absolutely flew though! My fault for cocking up on the dimensions. Piece of shit?! Where on earth did you get that from?! I think not. Quality piece of local craftsmanship? Absolutely.

Totally agree about bringing in boards by world renowned shapers, and it's a good chance for local shapers to up their game, but does an Al Merrick made and glassed in France, in the same factory as Lost, Bradley etc come into that bracket? I don't think so.
Leven

Postby Bearded Gimp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Maybe it wasn't you. I remember someone complaining that they couldn't paddle it into waves or something.

Without wishing to labour this point because I don't really care, if the French Merrick is an exact copy of a board designed by world-renowned shaper Al Merrick and looks and rides identically to one shaped by Merrick would, how does it not "come into that bracket"?
Bearded Gimp

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm

With all morality aside, custom shaped PU blank with epoxy glass is hard to beat for me for longevity and performance. Feels nice under foot for me, too.

I feel Coxie is well-placed to comment on quality of different types of surfboard constuction for obvious reasons and I think I know his opinions, but also don't blame him for being diplomatic in his answers here :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby Leven » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Bearded Gimp wrote:Maybe it wasn't you. I remember someone complaining that they couldn't paddle it into waves or something.

Without wishing to labour this point because I don't really care, if the French Merrick is an exact copy of a board designed by world-renowned shaper Al Merrick and looks and rides identically to one shaped by Merrick would, how does it not "come into that bracket"?

Isn't that contradiction on what you said earlier? What if someone locally copies a Merrick exactly (rails, rocker etc)?

Bringing in shapes from world class shapers, from their own factories/shaping rooms/basements/dungeons is one thing. Bringing in mass produced boards, made under license in a factory where half a dozen other brands are also produced is something totally different. You're making a massive assumption that they'll be identical, and they won't. The factories will be set up differently, the boards will be glassed differently, conditions they're made in will be different etc. If it was a factory producing just Al Merricks in Europe, fair enough, but they make Bradley's, Lost's etc, so they can't be geared up to just make Merricks. Hell, the blanks could even be different to Santa Barbara, different foam etc. That's why I'm not convinced it comes into that bracket.
Leven

Postby Jamez » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm

agree ... you basically paying an extra £200 for sticker
Jamez

Postby prjwebb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 pm

It's not like Al is even touching Dane and Slater's boards let alone general US boards, so I don't see them being machined and 'scrubbed' in Europe being any different to them being machined and scrubbed in USA.
That said, DTL are bringing in the US CI's not the Pukas ones. The Lost boards are from Pukas though and I think Matt does have a lot to do with final checks if not finishing work on the US Lost boards, plus at least you can talk to him via his blog for tweaks and advice on shapes.
prjwebb

Postby coxie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:With all morality aside, custom shaped PU blank with epoxy glass is hard to beat for me for longevity and performance. Feels nice under foot for me, too.

I feel Coxie is well-placed to comment on quality of different types of surfboard constuction for obvious reasons and I think I know his opinions, but also don't blame him for being diplomatic in his answers here :lol:

If ever there was a thread :wink:

There is a vast difference in the quality of the merricks at the moment, I'm re glassing the tails on lots of the ones glassed in California lately and they seem really soft.
If I was to get a merrick at the moment id be looking out for the Australian ones for build quality.
coxie

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:51 pm

this thread is hilarious

Luke young- i have had the same board for 4 years, its second hand. BULLET PROOF

mate of mine rides a diplock , second hand, BULLET PROOF

only board i have ever had to constantly repair ( which eventually snapped in the shorebreak at bournemouth peir :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: ), was a tiki superbly...it only cost £240, so what do you expect ?

£500+ notes for a sevens super fish, crap glassing, dings fair too easily ? no thanks. also seen those bamboo type things in the water, and i think i remember riding a demo one as well at somepoint. might as well have just had bamboo patterned cloth, nothing special at all
Vince Noir

Postby Tozer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for all your thoughts, it has been interesting to watch.

I managed to save a few quid & keep it local, as I got a TDS which was custom made for someone in with simliar skill (lack of) & size to myself, first paddle seems fantasic. The chap I got it off is using the money for a black & white so all is still local.

Cheers
Tozer

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design