Longboard for DOH surf

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Longboard for DOH surf

Postby surf40 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 am

I'm looking for some wisdom from the collective group here at Magic Seaweed Forum. I'm 55, 6'2 and 180 lbs and have been surfing about 20 years. My home breaks are the beach breaks in Oxnard in Socal. I usually surf a 9'0" longboard up to about head high. It is a 2+1 setup. I also have a 70's era single fin 7'8" that works well in the OH surf, and a 7'4" Channel Island M-13 for the hollow days.

For the past several years I've been using a BIC 9'0" for my "big wave board", 1.5X to DOH days. Despite all the bad press this plastic pop-out gets, it really serves me well in large surf. I like the length and paddling of the board on big days, getting in nice and early. Well I broke my BIC a few months ago on a DOH day. This is the 2nd BIC I've broken in the last few years. I get them used for about $150.

So, instead of getting another used BIC for my "Gun", I'm looking for suggestions. I liked the BIC for its nearly indestructible build. I"m looking for a longboard for big waves. I will sacrifice some handling for ruggedness. Also, I don't want to spend a lot for a board that will probably break in a year or so in big waves. That's what made the used BICs so nice, not much heartache when it broke.

So, let me have it!
surf40

Re: Longboard for DOH surf

Postby Rickyroughneck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:20 am

I can't really advise you, but how often does SoCal get above overhead height? Thinking of moving there and I am curious.
Rickyroughneck

Postby surf40 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:38 am

The NW breaks get overhead waves pretty regularly in the winter. Summer is South swells that are smaller, usually head high with a few bigger swells.
surf40

Postby cproctor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:58 am

Go and have a chat with Malcolm - bonzer longboard . It's a no brainer
cproctor

Postby cproctor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:02 am

cproctor

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 pm

What's interesting about your Bic experiences is that a local I know who's mates with Darrell Dell that shaped the plug for the Bic 9'4" Nat Young model rides that model Bic when its bigger.
He has a quiver of handshapes by Darrell (Rooster) but reckons the Bic is the business when it's pumping.
He is only mid 70 Kgs too.
I've also seen him riding it when it's micro as well.
Cuttlefish

Postby kayu » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:23 am

surf40 wrote: Also, I don't want to spend a lot for a board that will probably break in a year or so in big waves.

So, let me have it!
If you keep being a cheapskate surf40 , your boards will be lucky to last through a decent swell !... :lol: ..............have a look at the Takayama speedshapes , in surftech......although , Ive heard DT pulled the pin on surftech last year , so a new one may not be available.....
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby mister-griffster » Mon May 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Bonzer or DT speed shapes are a great call - possibly a Bing Pintail or Pipeliner as singles - BUT - for my money check out some of Marc Andreini's recent boards - a bit more in the 'hull' camp than a trad board, but still with a great balance of foam / volume and boards that are built to last.

Kirk3 can advise best and it depends on what you really want - by the sounds of the Bic it's that you like the paddle power and getting in early to the bigger stuff - but having snapped 2 (I've also destroyed one on a wave around head and a half) I'd just say they were false economy.

Marc makes all kinds of shapes that will go wild in the big stuff - from his Serenas to the Special K that he cooked up with Kirk - the Special K is direct from the Evolution school of surfing and if you want proof of the shape, check out Nat Young's surfing at the end segment of Hot Generation - the board is very similar to a Special K / Gato Dagger shape and the board has speed to burn - for me, this is the ultimate experience of riding decent sized surf on a 'longboard' - going thru the gears, wailing with speed but all under control. These boards would also have a looseness that feels more akin to your 9'0.

Of course it's all horses for courses. Give the folks at Mollusk a call - they have second hand 'bargains' thru their hands all the time, or even try Mitch's - more money of course than the 150 for a bic, but I'll guarantee you they outlast those old beaters and save you a few dollars in the long-run. happy hunting
mister-griffster

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design