Board Dilemma, Tips & Suggestions please.

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Board Dilemma, Tips & Suggestions please.

Postby castlerei » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Brothers,

I'm having a very big dilemma on what kind of board should i get next. Your knowledge, tips, and suggestions will be grately appreciated.

'm Rei from Phils, I live in Bali as of now and been surfing for 8 months. I ride a 7'0 funboard (a hybrid) on thruster. It's my first board and I'm pretty happy with it, but it pisses me off every time I scan the board after surf I always see cracks and dings, actually it had been minor repaired 2x already. So I'm getting a new board. What size & kind of board is a good transition board? One suggestion I got is it's safer to get the same shape as my current board but 6'8 in height, rather than going to a full short board. And told me shortboard shaped boards in 6'8 size is short boards for big guys, and further explained the reason for that is the board size has something to do with where you step your front foot on the board, in that case for a 5'11 guy like me riding a 6'8 shortboard is no good. Is Firewire Potatonator or Addvance a good choice or do you have a board suggestion?

A little information:

My current board is:

7'0 x 20 3/4 x 2 3/4 (photo attached)

•my height is 5'11
•my weight is around 150-170
•goofy footer
•still a novice though i can ride and catch greenwaves and ride walls a little, no cutbacks and snappy ripping stuff yet but that's the kind of surfing im after.
•Transition: foam board 1 month, then my current board from there.
Hope these info helps.

So guys, your knowledge is really a big help here.

Thanks! Yeeeeeeeeew!!

-Rei
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (86.25 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Last edited by castlerei on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
castlerei

Re: Board Dilemma, Tips & Suggestions please.

Postby Jamez » Wed May 01, 2013 6:47 pm

stick with the 7-0 till you can answer the question yourself

going short too early will only make you step backwards
Jamez

Re: Board Dilemma, Tips & Suggestions please.

Postby filfar » Tue May 14, 2013 8:37 pm

that's really sound advice, great post :sunny:
filfar

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design