Otta - a nod to Simmons and Mandala from the Backyard

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Otta - a nod to Simmons and Mandala from the Backyard

Postby Jory » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeah I'm really excited about surfing it! Ride report ASAP!!
Jory

Postby JayP » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:33 pm

When you gonna finish yours off Craig? My baby's just sitting there, all finished and cured enough (IMO) with some nice Mandala quad fins in.... but I've got work starting Monday so I've STILL gotta be patient........GRRRRRR!!!!!
Love that lemony tint Jory - looks like a sherbert lemon (sort of) !
JayP

Postby Craivold » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Hoping to get it sorted next week at some point Jay - then try to get some slides in...... waves permitting!! Going to email Christophe now and will update this thread as and when some progress is made, bet it's difficult sitting there looking at yours? At least its nicely cured though - should be good for a fair few years that beastie :evil:
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby JayP » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Rumour has it you're all done. Have you set the Otter free yet?
JayP

Postby Craivold » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:11 am

Haha - yeah all done now and the Otta is not quite free yet, I'm keeping it in the house and looking at it lovingly every now and then. Sanding went quite well - the sanding coat had cured pretty nicely, the underside in particular, so it sanded well. i hit the glass on a couple of very tiny bits which wasn't too much of an issue (smaller than a 5p piece type areas) but whilst working on a stubborn area of sanding coat on the tail I didn't notice that I'd taken off a shed load on the inside edge of the tail and actually revealed foam.... :oops: . Cue Chris to the rescue with some great colour match ding repair antics. My mis-hap had almost put paid to me taking it home that day but I'm happy to say she's looking lovely and will be getting a maiden voyage this Friday in some sunny waves if the forecast holds out :-D

Pics;

Where's the beach?

:mrgreen:
Craivold

Postby JayP » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:51 am

Damn she looks good with those fins in! Think I may get mine wet friday eve too....all being well! :-D
JayP

Postby Craivold » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:47 am

Just to wrap this thread up I've posted some thoughts on the board now I've surfed it a few times on me blog yo http://dragonhilldiaries.tumblr.com/pos ... a-the-last - it's a really fun shape and built to last aswell, makes weak sectiony days a total blast :shock: . Will be nice to see how it goes in lined up Saunton so looking forward to an autumn swell or three a little later in the year.
Craivold

Postby flamesnm » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Loved this thread. Just read through it and did a compare and contrast on my first build thread. I just read that back, and added back any of the photos I've kept from the build.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16662
flamesnm

Postby Black » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Saw this at the Fishfry today, looked very well done! Only saw the top, probably crap underneath. :lol:
Nice one, think you may have been stood nearby but I'm too shy to talk to strangers. :-)
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby defever » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Yup I saw the gracious Otter with my own naked eyes today at Fry as well. Very nicely done. I had the cheek to hold it and had a proper feel (I hope you don't mind!). I booked a week with Chris from Lovefoam in April so I can't wait.

I got chatting to other guys who made their own boards with Chris and it was very interesting stories. I also met Paul from Glide, Adrian from Fluid Juice, Ellie & Dani from Miller Surfboards. Saw couple of interesting boards from Morning Light, September Surfboards, and I forgot the names but some wooden surfboards and something Halls boards from California.

Over all very interesting event! I was really nice to see the creation of otter with my own eyes, thanks for displaying!!

And Black, I might have seen you but I couldn't ask people "ARE YOU BLACK??" for obvious reasons...
defever

Postby Craivold » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Ah boys you're making me blush :oops: :)

No problem on feeling up my fair maiden dafever, I was actually happily feeling up a few boards myself until I grew conscious of the fact that the owners might actually be against this sort of activity. Was great to put a few faces to names there and meet a few other peeps that have done boards with Chris - some weird and wonderful shapes going on. Also met Onefinleary off here which was cool.

I was a big fan of the Tyler Warren (probably due to Jory posting pics of his over the last year or so) glassed by that French company - Blend Glassing Co - didn't get chance to collar the glasser but it looked very nice indeed;

Black wrote:Saw this at the Fishfry today, looked very well done! Only saw the top, probably crap underneath. :lol:
Nice one, think you may have been stood nearby but I'm too shy to talk to strangers. :-)

Haha - you sure you haven't seen the bottom? Scarily accurate - it was positioned that way very purposefully! Nah I can assure you Black that my non-expert craftsmanship does extend to the underside as well and you should have nipped over and said hello, I was there with Splinter from here and we both felt a little out of place drinking coffees amongst the sea of surfers already starting on the sauce - bet the evening was messy :P
Craivold

Postby Philshoz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Bizarrely I only met Black, Rob Vaughan and Fabrice from Blend Glassing, cool guy who offered me a good deal on that Josh Hall and an good old friend from Wales who now lives in Bude, Martin Dorey, he of Campervan Cookbook fame.

The event wasn't what I expected really, not enough boards of top quality, IMHO.

By the time I got to LoveFoam your board had gone. Shame.

Chatting to a guy in the water at Widemouth on Tuesday the evening went on very late and to a party that finished at 5.... :shock:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Black » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Philshoz wrote: Martin Dorey, he of Campervan Cookbook fame.

Damn didn't realise it was him and to think I could have got his autograph!!! :lol: Thought he looked familiar.
Black

Postby Craivold » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Ah thought it was him but wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to barge in and say "You''re the bloke off the telly aint ya!?" or similar such jolly jibes.

Philshoz wrote:The event wasn't what I expected really, not enough boards of top quality, IMHO.

By the time I got to LoveFoam your board had gone. Shame.

Chatting to a guy in the water at Widemouth on Tuesday the evening went on very late and to a party that finished at 5.... :shock:

Shame we didn't bump into you Phil - didn't stay that long to be honest but would have been good to meet you. Party sounds crazy, wonder if the tattoo bar stayed open for the duration - some peeps could have been waking up with some interesting tats come morning time :shock: . Have to agree with you really - this was my first Fry and I expected a lot more boards generally, didn't seem to be that many local companies representing on the whole and some of the stands not that well defined/marked out. We saw Jools (Gulfstream) there and wondered if he'd bought some Sea Peas with him as I fancied a look at those, we nearly walked right past them without noticing! Luckily caught a glimpse on our final lap of the place before leaving - really liked the matt black one with gloss band across the middle :2d .
Craivold

Postby Jory » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:33 pm

The Matt black one is lovely isn't it!
Jory

Postby splinter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 pm

I was slightly dribbling over the black sea-pea! :2d

Philshoz wrote:The event wasn't what I expected really, not enough boards of top quality, IMHO.

I agree. Not enough boards to check out generally.
splinter

Postby Black » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:28 pm

splinter wrote:I agree. Not enough boards to check out generally.

Yes, wasn't as well represented as previous events (economics at work I suspect) but still where could you go to see such a collection of those styles of board?
Black

Postby defever » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:22 pm

WOW looks like I missed whole lot of fellow weeders... I was there too... But I don't recognise Jools being there?! I saw our fellow Plymouthian Luke Young when I got there but he soon left. Adrian was walking around talking to pretty much everyone, which was nice to see that such a well experienced and significantly known shaper is still grounded and learning from other fellow shapers.

On the day, I was told that Fish Fry isn't a one year event only in Crackington. Apparently there's Fry pretty much every weekend somewhere along the coast. Few weeks ago it was at Newquay Harbour. So may be last weekend gone wasn't particularly a good timing for a lot of people who intended to turn up?

I don't know. I was too slightly disappointed initially when I got there, thinking, is this it?! But when I got talking to some people it was actually pleasant to get into semi-intensive conversation with handful of people. It was very inspiring, knowledgeable experience for me. It was well worth the travel for me.

I liked September boards from Crantock (nice guy and his beautiful wife), and the green-ish fish next to that French dude's red fish and Rob's boards. I was very impressed with Ellie Miller's boards and her friend Dani's hand planes. And many more. The most memorable boards were Morning Light's; I'm saying this in good intention and no insult intended - it was really nice to see the rawness of his great effort. I could really see what he did and where he can improve to make his next boards better. I'm booked with LoveFoam next year so it was very useful to see how/where things need more attention to make a near perfect board. Looking at Fluid Juice, LY, Glide, etc. I can't make out in terms of how things are done.

I'll be more vocal next year and will try to find out when/where the other Fry events happen. It was an eye opening day and I like to visit again.
defever

Postby Philshoz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:16 am

I reckon my 'Brittney' wouldn't have been out of place....... :lol: Black wanted to see it but I only brought one board over,

Next time we need to set up a Weeders Forum zone......... :roll: Miffed I missed so many of you......

and were the Sea Peas there all day, I only got there around 2......
Philshoz

Postby Morning Light » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:34 am

I have to admit the fry was a little disappointing, only saying that as last year was better, and was thinking this year can only be better and bigger ...
It was a good day in the end tho, not sure it was worth the 400 mile trip, but met some nice folks..
I think next year we need some name badges ? ! ?
Missed out on talking to a few people ( defever, etc... )
Thanks for your kind words regarding my boards dude.
Hopefully I can return next year with some improved stuff eh ....
The two boards I was showing at the event are for sale ........
Morning Light

Postby Black » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 am

Hmm looks like I went round with my eyes closed if I was even there at all....

Am I the only one to see Seasick Steve? :P
Black

Postby Philshoz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:30 am

Black wrote:Hmm looks like I went round with my eyes closed if I was even there at all....

Am I the only one to see Seasick Steve? :P

I told you that wasn't him..............it was the tribute act 'Homesick Steve' who only plays in that one pub......... :roll:
Philshoz

Postby Morning Light » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 am

I saw him too...
Apparently he lives in the village !!
Morning Light

Postby Craivold » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm

:lol: we thought it may be Seasick Steve but it seemed odd that he'd made it down to the Fry!

I think it was mainly down to the amount of boards on last years vid/pics that raised my expectations too high perhaps - certainly still worth the visit as there was still an array to be seen but I'm hoping next year will be better and I'll certainly try to make it down. Judging by the amount of undercover weeders involved I think name badges could well be worth a shout :)
Craivold

Postby Jory » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Not sure about seasick steve but Thom Yorke from radiohead genuinely does live (part time) in the village!
Jory

Postby Morning Light » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:34 pm

One of the barman told me that sea sick lives in the village ! who knows ....
Must be a celeb village like port issac , aka port wenn ...
Morning Light

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design