Westbay Nose Slayer or Fourth Chilli Bean? Help!

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Westbay Nose Slayer or Fourth Chilli Bean? Help!

Postby draxxmenvone » Sun May 12, 2013 8:43 am

Hi folks.
I've been thinking of getting a 6'9" chilli bean for a while but had a go of my friend's westbay 7'6" nose slayer yesterday and loved it. I'm stepping down from an 8' mini mal and want something floaty and responsive to progress on. I get in the water less than once a week and am just starting to ride unbroken waves. I'm 5'10" and 13 stone.

Does anyone know if the chilli bean will be too advanced for me? I'd like a shorter wave but don't want to waste £400 on something that won't float me.

Thanks for any help.

Max
draxxmenvone

Re: Westbay Nose Slayer or Fourth Chilli Bean? Help!

Postby Dantastic » Sun May 12, 2013 10:36 am

Try to find somewhere that will let you hire/borrow one.

I was in a very similar position recently looking to down from my 7"4 mal to a sub 7ft wide floater with the chilli bean in mind. Ive been catching unbroken waves and trimming nicely on my current board so thought I'd try to get to the next level.

A friend let me use her 6"8 egg which is similar in volume and shape. I could stand up on it but catching waves is very very different/difficult. You need to paddle loads harder, take off loads later and ensure your right in the sweet spot. The second time I used it I only trimmed one wave in 2 hours. She had to go so I swapped back to my mal and then trimmed about 10 waves in the final hour. Something to think about.

You can pick up a good used board for under £200. Personally I would buy a used mal and see how you go. Summer is coming so smaller waves and more volume will be the order of the day. Rip it up on the mal, sell it in autumn and get yourself a nice fpoaty little fella to improve on up to winter as the waves get better.

How long have you been surfing?
Dantastic

Postby Scotsurf » Sun May 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Talk to Bill Atley at escape surfboards in Rock, Cornwall.
The chilli bean is his shape, he sells them under his own label 'Escape' as a Peanut.
He always has demo boards so you could probably try it out.

I had a 6'6 I'm 5'11 and 14.5stone and the 6'6 was plenty floaty for me, I had been surfing a couple of times a month for 2 years when I had it and it progressed my surfing more than any board I've owned.

What I would suggest is you keep your current board and only use the chilli/peanut when the conditions are good, say 2-3' and clean with a nice form. That way you will be able to really get a consistent wave to dial in your new stick and build confidence in it. Use your current stick for anything not ideal so your still getting waves.

I think too many people stick too much to what they know or end up with something too progressive and never actually move on to the next level.

There is a definite need to have different boards for different waves and different moods.

You will find a board that is the 'one' eventually, when you do, DON'T sell it, my biggest mistake was selling my peanut, had 7 boards since and not found anything half as fun.

Got myself a 6'4 x 23 x 2&7/8 in a similar shape (but diamond tail) yesterday, if it don't work I'm giving up and getting a peanut again!

Really can't recommend them enough.
Scotsurf

Postby draxxmenvone » Sun May 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks for your advice so far chaps. I've been surfing for maybe 15 years but with huge gaps and mostly only once a month.
Now I'm really confused! I think I need to downsize for sure but I reckon testing some boards might be the best idea. Was thinking of going to croyde for the bank holiday so might see if I can hire 3 or 4 boards to try there. I agree a quiver would be great but space is at a premium in my house. Would live to hear from someone who has the chilli and has also ridden something similar to the nose slayer.

Max
draxxmenvone

Postby flacky » Sun May 12, 2013 1:14 pm

I bought a custom from Westbay years ago, under their retro label that they no longer seem to do. TOld me it was a terry fitz shape he'd left over in Ireland etc. It came, lovely shape, felt a bit light, but took it out. surfed well enough, definitely could have done with more weight, but when I got it home the deck was a mess. Shocking glass job.

Surfed it a few more times before I sold it for about 25% of what I'd paid.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Scotsurf » Sun May 12, 2013 1:34 pm

draxxmenvone wrote:Thanks for your advice so far chaps. I've been surfing for maybe 15 years but with huge gaps and mostly only once a month.
Now I'm really confused! I think I need to downsize for sure but I reckon testing some boards might be the best idea. Was thinking of going to croyde for the bank holiday so might see if I can hire 3 or 4 boards to try there. I agree a quiver would be great but space is at a premium in my house. Would live to hear from someone who has the chilli and has also ridden something similar to the nose slayer.

Max

Max, Chilli IS escape peanut! Exactly the same board! Bill even used to make the fourth ones too, I think he farmed out the shape under the forth label as a collaboration with MSW but used a different label so as not to effect his own brand if there were ever quality issues, i think when the demand got too high they had them made in Thailand (hence he didn't want his escape name on boards made out of a factory on the other side of the planet) not sure but think they are now made by Luke Hart but I would guarantee they are cut to the same template, same concaves, same weight of glass ect.

Trust me the boards are great, talk to Bill he's a top guy and he talked me out of a 6'9 and into a 6'6 best decision I ever had forced upon me.
I'd also suggest you get bill to make you one rather than order straight from MSW you'll always have a much better customer experience buying from the guy who actually makes it than a shop who deals them, as mentioned previously Bill also makes sure of quality as its his name on the board.

As I recall when I got mine it was also a bit cheaper from Escape as they didn't have a MSW markup.
Search on here for 'Escape' and 'Fourth' sure there has been quite a few threads on this a few years back, think bill also posted to clear up what was going on with the name.
Scotsurf

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design