"It paddles like a mal and surfs like a shortboard..."

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

"It paddles like a mal and surfs like a shortboard..."

Postby BicManLike » Wed May 15, 2013 6:49 pm

So says the description on the website!

I'm looking for a new board and was interested to see the boards on Grant Miller's Australian website - http://www.grantmillersurfboards.com.au/boards.aspx

In particular I'm interested in a Waterskate - http://www.grantmillersurfboards.com.au/waterskate.aspx

or a Powerglide - http://www.grantmillersurfboards.com.au/powerglide.aspx

I'm looking for a change from a longboard and would be interested in the opinions of any experienced surfers/shapers.

What do you think of the designs....have you surfed one of these Miller boards....and are there any UK shapers who offer/or could make something similar. I can't justify the $300 shipping to import one!
BicManLike

Re: "It paddles like a mal and surfs like a shortboard..."

Postby Cuttlefish » Fri May 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Several years ago I ordered a waterskate (first pic) from Grant.
Imagine my suprise when I opened the box and there was a v- skate model instead.
Anyway...I surfed the shit out of that board for 2 years as my one board quiver.
Then I got him to shape me a powerglide 7'er.
All good this time.
Make no mistake.
I have yet to come across any board that paddles like a longboard and turns like a shortboard.
Closest to this fantasy scenario is my Surftech (boo hiss from the gallery) Takayama scorpion 6'8".
The quad set up and pintail is an absolute winner in allowing cutbacks as good as I can do on any shortboard.
Food for thought if you go custom from local shapers.
Cuttlefish

Postby Philshoz » Sat May 18, 2013 5:51 am

Very similar planshape....http://store.magicseaweed.com/7S-COG-PE-2013-Surfboard/Item/17530/

I got one of these a year ago as an experiment to see if I could drop down to a shorter board at my age... :shock: Got the 6' 3"

Very pleased with it and won't break the bank. OK, it's GSI and the glass is ........but like your subject line says "paddles like a mal and surfs like a shortboard"

I am getting a custom next, based on this template, a 5 + 4 setup with single centre box, 6' 6" I think. A bit more foam for winter and all that extra rubber.
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby BicManLike » Sat May 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. If I was in Aus I'd ask Grant to shape me a Powerglide - but I don't want to buy one without surfing it first, and the $300 to import it is too much.

Like you Phil, I'm the wrong side of 50. I picked up a secondhand fish the other day to have a play with. Thanks for the information about the COG, it looks interesting. If I hadn't bought the fish I'd have been tempted to buy a COG - enjoyed your blog too.

I still need to replace the longboard my son snapped in half a couple of weeks back. I spoke to Adrian Phillips at UK shaper Fluid Juice today. http://www.fluidjuice.co.uk/surfboards.html
He was really helpful. They sell the ULTIMATE LONGBOARD.

It looks like a good compromise and he has a 9'3" demo board too. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's surfed it.
BicManLike

Postby cricket » Wed May 22, 2013 1:55 am

Just wanted to chime in and say I have recently acquired a 7ft4 Miller Powerglide (I live in Australia; indeed surf about 15min from where Grant lives). Coming off a 9ft1 mal - basically the only board I have surfed for the last 5 years - I was very focused on the differences. I can say that I could notice hardly any difference in paddling, apart from maybe having to start a few feet closer in to catch the wave. However, there is a difference in 'glide' particularly in small waves (like 1fters). On the LB, you catch the wave and glide along, with the shorter board you do fall off the back of the wave a bit. Not the board's fault; its the trade off for a shorter board of course.

Grant's 'trick', if I can call it that, is that the thickness of the board extends right to the rails and almost to the nose and tail. If you look at most boards, even LBs, they start thinning out a long way from the edges (particularly nose/tail). Even the 7S Cog linked earlier thins out a lot. Grant keeps the width almost the way through and this increases the volume (and stablity). Plus he keeps the rocker low. Hence, from a paddling point of view, although its 7ft4 it probably actually has almost as much volume and as much surface area on the water as an 8ft4 or more.

I've never really surfed shortboards so cannot compare. Its definitely easier to turn than a 9ft board. For me its a great board - no downside in paddling and turns better (and fits in the car!). So apart from the 1ft days (I was only out there because I had just picked up the board and, as you know, you just have to surf no matter what), its an allround winner.

His boards are reasonably complex design. Thus while you may find boards with similar dimensions (eg the waterskate is not too dissimilar in shape to a Firewire Addvance, other than the tail of course), there is a lot going on that may not appear in other boards. Its not just keeping an increased thickness and low rocker, he overcomes them with other designs. He also does (gets done) an intelligent glassing job. For example, its a 2x6oz for my board, but he then puts another layer just over the leash pin and over the fin boxes, to add extra strength to those high risk areas.

I would upload a pic but the boards 'attachment quota has been reached', whatever that means.

Nonetheless, being in the UK it might be hard to justify esp given the AUD exchange rate. I guess you can just wish you lived in Australia (no doubt a bit more than you usually wish...). But in terms of looking for boards, if you were going for the mid sized boards (although I see you are looking at an LB), then keep an eye on the thickness and the rocker as well as the outline (eg: narrow tail). The Walden magic and many of the firewire boards use some of these.
cricket

Postby Roy Stuart » Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Funny how all the answers to this thread concentrate on shortboards, rather than longboards.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Fri May 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Roy Stuart wrote:Funny how all the answers to this thread concentrate on shortboards, rather than longboards.

I'd guess that's because when most people ask this question, it's to do with the fact they want a board with similar characteristics to a standard longboard, but in a shorter package. I've always dismissed such boards as being neither a shag or a wank, but hey - we all love a good blow job right?!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Roy Stuart » Fri May 24, 2013 9:38 pm

A board which rides like a mal but which doesn't have the length/ paddling advantage is the worst of all worlds, in my opinion. Why anyone would want to achieve it is beyond me.

Judging by the answers here some wish to have a mini mal while others want a short board type which paddles better, so I don't think that your statement is correct.

I'd rather have a longer board which rides like a shorter board, and that's what I have. :-)
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Philshoz » Sat May 25, 2013 5:31 am

Roy Stuart wrote:A board which rides like a mal but which doesn't have the length/ paddling advantage is the worst of all worlds, in my opinion. Why anyone would want to achieve it is beyond me.

Judging by the answers here some wish to have a mini mal while others want a short board type which paddles better, so I don't think that your statement is correct.

I'd rather have a longer board which rides like a shorter board, and that's what I have. :-)

We don't want a board 'which rides like a mal' Roy, we want a shorter board that paddles into waves easily. In my opinion the best of both worlds.

I'd rather have a shorter board that rides like a shorter board and that's what I have......... :wink:
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby Leven » Sat May 25, 2013 7:07 am

Roy Stuart wrote:I'd rather have a longer board which rides like a shorter board, and that's what I have. :-)

We've all seen videos of you surfing Roy, I'm not sure I'd say your boards ride like they're shorter....
Leven

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat May 25, 2013 7:44 am

Leven wrote:
Roy Stuart wrote:I'd rather have a longer board which rides like a shorter board, and that's what I have. :-)

We've all seen videos of you surfing Roy, I'm not sure I'd say your boards ride like they're shorter....

They certainly do, compare them with boards of similar length.

If you look you'll see how they turn very easily and like shortboards they don't have to be walked up and down to do it.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby Stan » Sat May 25, 2013 9:45 am

They surf shorter because theres so much rocker in them that the front third is out the water may as well make them four foot shorter :lol:
Stan

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat May 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Here's a typical eleven foot longboard in the so called 'long glider' category, with a ride report.

"On that 11ft. The nose constantly wanted to go under water. On the tail I could barely turn it. The rails dig under on turns unless your all the way back. It wasnt for me at all. Only thing I liked was the paddle power and glide. If it was 8'6 I would've kept it."

http://jamboards.com/view_topic.php?id=14099&forum_id=1&page=1

www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby skimmer2 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:44 am

Hi - love this surfs like a shortboard baloney :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways - not much to say there apart from all marketing talk.

But - can say that Adrian Phillips will give you realistic advice and will make you a VERY nice board that works for UK waves. I have two of his boards...both are top quality and very nice to surf. He has little need to talk folk into getting a board from him...he has a steady/full list of folk buying from him for a reason. He will listen to you and advise you on what he thinks is right for you and then leave it with you to make a decision...no pressure. That's been my experience with him.

The longboard you mention "Ultimate Longboard" (eek - bit of a naff name :lol: ) will be a solid allrounder and will surf well in small and bigger waves and will be lively. I have a semi pig shape from him - (a 9ft 6) and it is my favourite board. Had it made for very small surf but it goes great in all sizes too.
skimmer2

Postby g_baby » Sun May 26, 2013 9:45 am

Can fully second Skimmer's post - just what I experienced.
If it helps, I've been also there where you now are and Mr Philips got me one which just does what the title asks for, BicManLike.
There's a pic of her on my blog and I don't regret anything coming down from am 9' directly to that 6'5" because Mr Philips just knows what he does and, guess what, why he does exactly what.
Go talk to him and you'll see from there...
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby

Postby dixie » Wed May 29, 2013 6:08 pm

my 7;0 gulfstream magic carpet............it paddledlike a longer board.. got in early...real early n was lively of the tail, and you could make adjustments n steer from the nose 1/3 of the baord too
dixie

Postby BicManLike » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Philshoz wrote:
We don't want a board 'which rides like a mal' Roy, we want a shorter board that paddles into waves easily. In my opinion the best of both worlds.:

That's what I'm after. I don't want mal performance, but I do want a board that's faster to paddle and more stable than a shortboard. Most things in life are a compromise, and surfboard design is no different in this respect.

I'd like to purchase a custom board when I've worked out exactly what I need, but in the meantime I bought a secondhand 7 foot Custard Point Retro Volan Fish about a month ago. It's been a real revelation for me... almost as fast to paddle as my old longboard, but much more fun to surf - and it looks great too. Been out on the north coast of Cornwall in some fairly large waves and had quite a few sessions in flatter south Devon surf. The only thing it doesn't do as well as perhaps a thinner board is turn quite so quickly, but that's probably down to my technique!
BicManLike

Postby flacky » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:21 pm

technique and board design. They are meant to be surfed very differently. Look at joel tudor, rob machado, derek hynd, mark richards for how a twin fish is surfed.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby BicManLike » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:20 pm

flacky wrote:technique and board design. They are meant to be surfed very differently. Look at joel tudor, rob machado, derek hynd, mark richards for how a twin fish is surfed.

Thanks for the advice - had a quick look at some videos on YouTube. I think I'm going to have to start working a bit harder in the water!!... and maybe work my way down to a shorter fish if I'm going to make the most of the design. Even so, got out first thing this morning and had some good fun waves before the wind picked up too much.
BicManLike

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design