Another new longboard question

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Another new longboard question

Postby Scoobs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Hello Folks it's another one, wondering what the weed collective think. I've been trawling the forums and learnt loads about all sorts of longboards and now I'm in the market for a new / new to me longboard. I'm 6'2 15 1/2 to 16 stone, the far side of 40 and don't get in the water as much as I like. Surf rest bay, north devon Saunton, north cornwall - Polzeath etc, mainly beachies. Intermediate level, other board is a magic carpet. Previous boards Grant Miller allrounder centre fin plus sides - I liked but not keen on the lolly pop stick nose, also recently ridden a 10 foot chapter thing which was interesting, took off well but hard to manoeuver when going, currently riding my mates Tollhurst. It's 9'4 and until recently I couldn't figure out why it was so hard to catch waves on. I had my suspicions confirmed when I asked a well respected shaper what he made of it. Pulled in tail, single fin very gunny, the chap in question said little blokes big wave longboard which explains why it is hard to get going as I am not a little bloke or likely to go out in big waves. Not interested in 'progressive longboards' just style (in my head at least!) and the maximum fun, I'm about to call Adrian at Fluid Juice, Empire, Blacker and Mr Diplock. I'm happy to pay a decent price as long as I am getting decent value. I'm looking for a board built to last, not a lightweight, and a keeper. It could be my only longboard for quite some time. I'm also curious whether a Gulfstream Saunton Foil at £800 is £250 better than a Fluid Juice ultimate longboard for example. Any opinions,recommendations or boards for sale please. Thanks peeps. S
Scoobs

Re: Another new longboard question

Postby roberdy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Mate, I am 100kg, 6'2 (nearly) and just short of 40, used to ride a 9'6" Tiki Classic Performer, loads of rocker, 2+1 set up. Really enjoyed it, great on bigger waves and fast as hell but couldn't get near the nose with all the rocker and my considerable weight :)

Last year I got a 9'1 Quivver Spoon, loads of belly, more rolled rails and only a single fin set up. Been riding it with a 10" hatchet and have actually ridden it in up to about head high and had a total blast, even got my first nose ride on a head high day on it.

Have a chat with Steve at Empire, I have a bonzer by him and it is amazing, the vulcan looks like a very good board, I was hankering after one recently but money ain't great enough at the moment!

The other shapers you mentioned all have great credentials, cruise the forum some more for other opinions, nothing beats going and having a chat with them if you can though!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Leven » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Can't say much about longboards, but Diplock boards are definitely keepers, built to last, and bullet proof glassing.
Leven

Postby slipslide » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:06 am

Diplocks are great as are fluid juice to be honest. Personally i am a huge fan of Blackers and Gulfstream.

I do have a Brand new Bing Levitator that could be for sale if your interested 9ft 6 top and bottom orange Tint, double stringer. Never ridden or waxed cost £995 out of Nine plus Lovely board.I bought it to surf but i have just got a board i have been looking for for a while. Cost somewhere around the £800-£850
Its this one
http://uk.nineplus.com/bing/2011242-bin ... tator.html
slipslide

Postby Werwulf1919 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:13 am

Empire all the way dude.
http://mohawkeastcoastsurf.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/edmohawk1919
Werwulf1919

Postby Scoobs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for the replies folks, nobody seems to have a bad word to say about any of the shapers in question which is great, I'm just about to make a few calls and see what the peeps in question suggest. Roberdy what are the other dims on your Quivver as one of the many questions I have for the experts is how thick wide and long should I go? If I aspire to noseriding do I have to go much longer than 9 1. What are the benefits or drawbacks if I do? I'll ask the experts in a few minutes. Talking surfboards has to be better than working! Slipslide the bing looks a lovely board but I think I would struggle to get that much spend authorised by Head of Finance (mrs S..)
Scoobs

Postby Jory » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Well they will all make you a nice board.

Blacker's craftsmanship is excellent but his designs are perhaps slightly "out of the loop" as far as current trends go.

Gulfstream may be costly but i honestly think no one is making better glassed or finished boards in the UK right now, certainly not fluid juice. You are paying for time spent on this as well as for the shape. It's very easy to get hung up on design nuances but if you are at the surfing level your post suggests, you dont need to spend time obsessing over the details and a good second hand log will be perfect, UNLESS you want to pay for beauty and finish because owning that wil make you happy!
Jory

Postby roberdy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Jory makes some very good points there, first few boards it's better to think about function rather than form unless you are keen on a particularly nice board you want to look after, hard to do that if you are falling off it, crashing into other people,dropping it int he car park etc though!

As for other dims on my board, it is 9'2" x 23 1/8 x 3 1/16. Honestly though I would go back to a 9'6" in an instant I think if I could find one of the same kind of shape and demeanour. I got this as it was a good buy for a nice board and I thought it would probably be good to get me into noseriding and, although I have had some nose rides on it in bigger surf I have not been as successful as I would have liked. Maybe technique, maybe just not enough counterbalance for my 100kgs.

If you want to go for noseriding, I would say to go bigger than 9'2, maybe to 9'6 or more, get something flat with some belly and nice rolled rails, ask Jory some more questions about it, look for NDL too as they are both great longboarders, I'm a total kook in comparison!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Scoobs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Folks thanks again, some more good points. Just to clarify I don't have any doubts about Gulfstream quality, we currently have a GS carpet in the house and it is absolutely gorgeous. Jory good points, likewise Roberdy. Just as an aside I'm a bit past dropping the board in the car park (usually) and crashing into people, I may be rusty but I used to be fairly competent at this surfing malarkey in a previous (ie single, younger, fitter, living at the beach!) life. You are both right though a decent second hand board would be the sensible choice and nothing too complicated design wise. Thanks for the input I'd better go and post a wanted add....... How does this sound? 9'6 ish wide ish thick ish longboard wanted. Nothing too fancy, complicated, light weight or 'performance orientated".Thanks again folks. S
Scoobs

Postby roberdy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 pm

heh, sorry, no offence intended, I find myself dropping boards more often these days but I think it is the early onset dementia... As mentioned, go chat with a shaper, they'll draw out what you are really after, then either go with the shaper and get a custom or go find something that looks like it second hand in the shops or here or secondhandboards.co.uk

Good luck!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Scoobs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Roberdy no offence taken no worries. Probably the only reason I don't drop boards more often is they spend most of their time safe and sound in the shed!
Scoobs

Postby Jory » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:27 am

Ok so

Think single fin parallel outline (like a saunton foil ) soft rails gentle roll in the bottom +\- nose concave 9'6 to 10' x 18.25 or bigger nose 23 wide 3 thick and tail at least 15.5. Don't go for a pig or a gato inspired pointy thing no matter how pretty the glass job

Surf classifieds have a harbour San o for £600 ish at the mo, you might well find a second hand gs or similar for £450 if you're patient

Oh and learn to move your feet so you can get over the fin and turn it or you will become yet another "trim in straight line til the wave peters out artist" that clog the line up at saunton most weekends!
Jory

Postby Scoobs » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Jory, thanks for the advice re the board, those dims and description make sense so I'll keep trawling the classifieds and try to stay patient.
Scoobs

Postby dada » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:59 pm

hi,Enough volume is essential,forget 3" thick boards,i have a 10 ft diplock less than 1 year old with clear volan lam immaculate condition only asking£500.00as i live very close to saunton you are welcome to try before you buy,only reason for sale is i have lost 1.5 stone.
dada

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:46 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I know it's longer than you wanted but a great price!
Laurie_4surfing

Postby flacky » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Jory wrote:Well they will all make you a nice board.

Blacker's craftsmanship is excellent but his designs are perhaps slightly "out of the loop" as far as current trends go.

Gulfstream may be costly but i honestly think no one is making better glassed or finished boards in the UK right now, certainly not fluid juice. You are paying for time spent on this as well as for the shape. It's very easy to get hung up on design nuances but if you are at the surfing level your post suggests, you dont need to spend time obsessing over the details and a good second hand log will be perfect, UNLESS you want to pay for beauty and finish because owning that wil make you happy!

What he said. I'd never have given Gulfstream a second thought to be honest, until I went in the shop. Jaw dropping.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design