What Fins for a Bing Dharma?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

What Fins for a Bing Dharma?

Postby Rasher » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:59 pm

I've been riding a 5.8 Bing Dharma for coming up to a year now and have been absolutely loving it. Up until now I've been using the fins that came with it but I'm thinking of getting some better ones. I'm no Kelly Slater but people seem to suggest that a fin change can make a big difference to the performance. I wondered if anyone had any advice about what fins to go for. It's got FCS plugs, if possible I'd like to save myself some money and get fins from True Ames but that seems to leave only two choices for quad fins Tyler Warren and Timmy Patterson.

The board is currently the only one I have so I'm using it in everything from ankle slappers to overhead so either the fin would have to be suitable for all conditions or I'd have to change back to the original ones from time to time. To be honest I don't know a great deal about foil, fin size and the differences that these could make so any advice would be fantastic.
Rasher

Re: What Fins for a Bing Dharma?

Postby coxie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:09 pm

My favourite fins on fishy shapes are the mandala ak4's from rainbow fins.
But to be honest any solid glass fins do me fine, plastic feels dead to me probably because I'm a chunk.
coxie

Postby benjamin007 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Futures Controllers or fcs equivalent.....had lokbox speed dialers in a quad before and they were great

I've got one on order with futures, can't wait to get it!
benjamin007

Postby obsurfer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:48 am

Hi Rasher, I know this thread is super old, but I thought I'd share my outcome with messing around with the fins on my Bing Dharma. I'd been basically trying a whole bunch of fins on my Dharma with fcs boxes. I tried the PC 5, the SA 4, the AM 2s, and the funny thing was that I found that the rear fins made more of a difference than the front fins. In my opinion, the Dharma has so little rocker it's a hard board to surf top to bottom, so issues like fin release don't matter as much since I surf the board very laterally.

At any rate, I have the SA 2s mounted on the front pretty much all the time, as I prefer the drive from the wide base of the fins then depending on wave size and type I would swap out the rear fins between the gxq or a bigger set of rear fins that i have. I found in smaller or mushier waves, the gxq rears worked better as the board seemed easier to get into a wave (less draggy somehow) and went faster down the line. On bigger waves or waves with better shape, the bigger rears give more hold.

Just my thoughts.
obsurfer

Postby EasyTom » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:35 am

I've been surfing my 5'8 Dharma for a couple of years and really like the K2.1 Quad set (now FCS V2 Quad set I think). I'm not a shit-hot surfer though but they seemed to add some solidity/firmer bite with more manoeuvrability. I met Mat Calvani when he came over and he said they are the fins that he recommends as best for the Dharma (whew!). I'm not arguing with him. :-D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A Board, Some Wax and a Leash
EasyTom

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design