Board recommendation

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Board recommendation

Postby Kev » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:14 pm

I currently ride a 6' 7 bic shortboard (cue tuts and hisses from the forum) which has actually served me quite well as a starter board. I'm looking for a new board that will help me progress with a bit more manoeuvrability but will keep wave count up, was thinking a fish. Anyone got any suggestions?
Kev

Re: Board recommendation

Postby d.kennett 1983 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Dumpster diver,black box,biscuit shape high volume shortboards not a fish volume be there but will be to loose
http://kandksurfboards.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/KK-surfboards/332681570101640
d.kennett 1983

Postby Leven » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Any high volume shortboard if that's the direct you want to go. Look for something with similar dimensions to what you've got, maybe a touch less. There's a massive difference in surfing a fibreglass board and one of those BIC's anyway, so that'll keep you interested for a while!
Leven

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:48 pm

I wouldn't say a fish (in the traditional twin keel sense) would be looser than the boards listed (dumpster diver,black box,biscuit) ... all my fish (and I've had some beauties) have been fantastic super drivey beasts.. certainly no where near the top to bottom performance of a biscuit (which I've also had and liked) or I imagine the others listed. It Just depends what you want from the board really.... high speed on a high line, down the line fun with more drawn out turns or top to bottom Kelly Slater wanabee. Both have their merits... whatever, the twin fin fish .v. higher volume thruster boards will give you 2 different perspectives for sure....

whole other conversation to be had as to the decline of the popularity of the fish... section in Sprout really started it for most... guess the mini Simmons have now taken their mantle...
mrkmrk2842

Postby flacky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:18 am

mrkmrk2842 wrote:whole other conversation to be had as to the decline of the popularity of the fish... section in Sprout really started it for most... guess the mini Simmons have now taken their mantle...

Yup seems every shaper has a version now and see heaps of people have a go as their first board.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby roberdy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:40 am

flacky wrote:
mrkmrk2842 wrote:whole other conversation to be had as to the decline of the popularity of the fish... section in Sprout really started it for most... guess the mini Simmons have now taken their mantle...

Yup seems every shaper has a version now and see heaps of people have a go as their first board.

But does this mean people are now choosing fish (of what ever flavour) based on research and desire rather than follow the pack behaviors? Rather wish I had had a fish at the rivermouth last week, bloody fast down the line wave, however, the Bonzer goes really quick too so that was the go to board for the day!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby JohnJohn23 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:15 am

these are sick boards. Oney Anwar almost beat Parko at Oakley Pro Bali on these boards :-D
http://instagram.com/joistiksurfboards
http://instagram.com/oney_anwar
JohnJohn23

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:14 am

"Yup seems every shaper has a version now and see heaps of people have a go as their first board"

indeed - with good reason...such a classic ride... still not convinced they're the best for a learner or even improver...

"But does this mean people are now choosing fish (of what ever flavour) based on research and desire rather than follow the pack behaviors? Rather wish I had had a fish at the rivermouth last week, bloody fast down the line wave, however, the Bonzer goes really quick too so that was the go to board for the day!"

there's certainly more info out there now than a few years ago so hopefully people are making more informed choices but a trend is what it is so there will still be the followers.... nothing wrong in that either to me as you get to try out some great designs which keeps it all interesting... as for the bonzer - another great board design with even more hold and drive than the twin fin fish... all depends what you want on the day but great choices to have eh?!
mrkmrk2842

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design