More Bude based backyard business!

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

More Bude based backyard business!

Postby JayP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:38 am

If you've read Cravoids post on here you'll know about Chris Hartop and his shaping courses. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38217.
Well after reading it myself (thanks for posting Craig) I booked myself in.

I've been wanting to have a go at shaping for years but don't have the space and never really had the time before. But being recently made redundant I now had the time and here in a little workshop near Bude was the space!

Since buying splinters Lumus its become my go to board in anything small and my speed dialler in anything chunky. I had been wondering though if I could get a board like a hybrid of the two -the hully simmons inspired wave entry of the lumus but with a bit more of a fishy feel when riding and a bit longer to even out chop to stop those bigger drops feeling like I was riding a tea tray on the 5' 6 lumus. Then I stumbled across Mandala s ASQ (arc swallowtailed quad) and found he'd already done something very similar. Bummer was I can't afford to add that to my quiver! So when Craigs post popped up it was like a sign from the heavens and I booked myself in with Chris to have a crack at making something similar. Kill two birds with one stone as it were ( or at least maim one of them anyway!)

Met Chris at the beach on Monday morning for a sweet little surf and then started drawing on a blank on Monday afternoon. Last night (Thursday) we put the finishing touches to what looks remarkably like a surfboard and left it to dry overnight! Now on international surfing day I'm off to collect my first ever shaped by my own hands surfboard! Stoked doesn't even begin to explain how I feel!

I would post some pics but apparently "the board attachment quota has been reached" so cant even post small ones at the mo. But just to say that I'm rather bloody happy with the results. The whole thing has been an intense learning curve made really enjoyable by Chris. His help and guidance has been brilliant. Pics will come as soon as I work out why they won't post.
JayP

Re: More Bude based backyard business!

Postby Black » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 am

JayP wrote:I would post some pics but apparently "the board attachment quota has been reached" so cant even post small ones at the mo..... Pics will come as soon as I work out why they won't post.
Its a setting on the forum only admin can adjust. If you put the pics elsewhere like flickr & link to them its not an issue.

Well done by the way, looking forward to the photos, board sounds interesting.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:08 am

Mate. The board sounds epic. You got a name for it yet?
Poo Stance

Postby Philshoz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:14 am

Poo Stance wrote:Mate. The board sounds epic. You got a name for it yet?

Brittany Spears is spoken for.......... 8)

Would like to see those pics soon.

Interesting you were thinking Mandala, my local shop has a clutch in, only 980.00€ !!

I'm still waiting for my kit to come from Viral, useless F*****S, slow doesn't come into it. Then I can get mowing, very excited.... :-D
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:58 am

ta da...

Looking good :)
Poo Stance

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:59 am

Philshoz wrote:Brittany Spears is spoken for.......... 8)

I hear she's a slut. Don't think you can claim her as your own :p
Poo Stance

Postby JayP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:14 pm

Yep ! That's her! Cheers Dan. I think she's more of a madonna (like a virgin!) :)
JayP

Postby splinter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Nice work!

Love the look of the Arc Swallow Tails and have stared wistfully at them myself on the Mandala site. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Lumus for you.

What dims and bottom contours did you go for? What fins are you getting?
splinter

Postby JayP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Its ended up 5' 8 x 21 1/2 x 2 7/8 . Its rails are hully in the nose to 50/50 to down in the tail and she's flat to double concave on the bottom. I'll start her off with lbx4s and see how she goes! :-)
JayP

Postby Craivold » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Looking really good J :-D , get some more pics up of the finished sled when you can, would be interested to see your sanding skills in preparation for sanding mine!

Like Splinter I'd actually originally fallen for the ASQ type shape a while back - talked to Bro Diplock about getting one made up but my head got turned by the Superchunks, I guess I like big butts or summat....! I think yours will go like a dream though - just one of those boards that look 'right'. Keep us updated about how she rides when you get a chance. There'll be some windy waves south coastway if you're keen for more driving at the weekend.
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby Chris F » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 pm

How about Amandla? a nod to Mandala (an anagram) but is also "Power" in Zulu.

Looks great, hope it goes well!
Chris F

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:08 pm

JayP wrote:Yep ! That's her! Cheers Dan. I think she's more of a madonna (like a virgin!) :)

haha. Break her in slowly :-D
Poo Stance

Postby Black » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Quick question: How come the lap is hanging down on the uv cure picture?
Black

Postby JayP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Its not the lap. Its the masking tape and it part fell off (tail end) . Chris teaches cutlaps only. Proper job like!
JayP

Postby Black » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Ah of course, it looked like the cloth hanging down, silly me!
Black

Postby JayP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Easy mistake to make. God I've learnt so much this week its mad! Usually Im winging it but now I actually know stuff!!!!
JayP

Postby JayP » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:16 pm

[quote="Chris F"]How about Amandla? a nod to Mandala (an anagram) but is also "Power" in Zulu.

Like the thinking behind this but reminds me too much of a girl I once knew!........lol....... Moving on.....!
JayP

Postby Chris F » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm

JayP wrote:
Chris F wrote:Like the thinking behind this but reminds me too much of a girl I once knew!........lol....... Moving on.....!

"knew" :wink:
Chris F

Postby JayP » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Picked up some second hand Mandala AK4 quad fins which arrived this morning. Just slotted them in and she's now ready to rock! Whoop whoop! So stoked and frothing to get her in the water. New job starts Monday and busy weekend though ......bloody typical!!! :-D
JayP

Postby JayP » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Quick ride report after taking her out for the first time in small clean Gower waves on Saturday.
Paddles very easily, the foam under the chest (that I was keen to thin out a bit and Chris stopped me) mean that you sit quite high when paddling so seem to skim the water like you would on a larger board. Duck diving is easier than my mates 5'8 mini simmons, not as easy as my 5'6 lumus but definitely somewhere between the 2 which I'm more than happy with (I don't see myself surfing it in anything much overhead). Wave entry is unreal. It gets in so early and catches ripples. Once up and riding its very loose off the tail, very skaty (which was the intention) so alot of fun in the 1-2 ft dribble we had on Saturday but may have to play around with the fin options a bit in anything chunkier for a tad more stability (or get better!!).

After about an hour of my cheesy grins my mate asked for a go on it. I reluctantly agreed but gave him a 2 wave limit. He then on his second or third wave took off and rode it straight toward a learner with a big indestructible BIC. Time stopped. I could see it in slow motion my worst fears were becoming true. The learner ditched the BIC (sideways) right in front of my mate. I could hardly look. Words were screaming from my mouth but I could do nothing to save my baby! Then, as if it was perfectly normal, heading straight for the BIC my mate popped a little ollie and just hopped over the tank like board! I could hardly believe my eyes. Checked the board over, not a scratch! Disaster averted!!!

"Really impressed with that board." he said. "Any chance you can make me one!" :lol:

I think I'd call that a total success. Can't wait to take it out in something bigger. :-D
JayP

Postby Poo Stance » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Quality mate. Must have been a total buzz riding your own board, especially as it's not a dog :) Can't wait to see it in action.

Reminds me of the time I almost rode someones new Bonzer into Bournie pier. Note to J - dont let le borrow your board.
:)
Poo Stance

Postby JayP » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 pm

As a little update - Been riding this board and pretty much only this board since I got it back in June with AK4 Mandala fins in. However on Monday I changed them for my speed dialer turbo's on my second surf. It was pretty small and I've found it a leeeeetle bit sluggish in weak waves. Nowhere near as fast as the lumus which flies in small stuff. Shit the bed though! What a difference the dialers made! :-D
Faster, much more slippery and loads more fun!

Happy as larry.

Aren't fins amazing? .......Especially speed dialers! :-D
JayP

Postby JayP » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 am

14 months on and I have to say without a doubt this is my favourite board ever. It's perfect for me in most surf I'm happy to surf! I'm so chuffed I think I may get it copied!!! ...... walked off the beach yesterday giggling like a kid at Christmas ! :D
JayP

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design