astron zot or sweet potato

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

astron zot or sweet potato

Postby dixie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 am

heres the killer question

for lie sizes ie 5'10 which hold s more float...stability......
let battle commence
dixie

Re: astron zot or sweet potato

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 am

A closer comparison planshape wise would be inbetween a zot and a baked potato.
The sweet potato has a wider nose.
The zot has a lot more nose rocker than a sweet potato so will handle a steeper drop and is easier to do a vertical reo on since it has a more pulled in nose.
The sweet potato can go vertical but you need to have the back foot planted right back and its just easier on the zot.
The sweet potato will plane across dead sections with little rider effort that would have a zot bogging if you're not working it rail to rail to maintain momentum.
Deep double concave versus a rolled bottom.
The sweet potato will accelerate right off the angled take off with its flatter rocker and quad fins.
The zot likes a bottom turn/top turn combo and arcs on the face to maintain speed.
The sweet potato will remind you of a fishes down the line with speed pumps.
Steep drops on a larger wave can be problematic/challenging on a sweet potato.
Still getting used to the zot but steeper drops should be.easier for a zot due to its nose rocker.
Floated along side my zot today and it's 6' with about 14"s of the nose out of the water due to its rocker.
Do that with a similarly sized sweet potato and there'd be only 5 or 6"s out of the water.
Anyway...float wise I've ridden a 5'8", 5'10" and 6' sweet potato and then my 6' zot (22" x3") and I'd say the zot floats me closer to the 5'10" sweet potato.
The sweet potato is a groveller good for 1-3' at its best. Fast as on flat faced and full waves.
The zot is working better in 2' plus so far and loves an A frame peak for smooth turning top to bottom surfing.
Don't forget you're comparing eps/vac bagged board to a poly with 6+6 deck and 6 bottom more often than not.
Cuttlefish

Postby nawgy1979 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:23 am

Depends what you want the board for......

I havent ridden a SP but to me they seem to be a small wave board for milking the best out of small waves.
The Zot on the other hand is probably the best board that I have ever ridden, but as with all McCoys it likes some power in the waves. Think smooth, flowing style with insane ability to turn with such speed.
It will go in small waves but not really in the mush. I have had it in decent size surf and it is so stable and inspires confidence as do the Nuggets.

To answer your question though, I would say that a 5'10 Zot is roughly 40 litres whilst the same size SP is 47 according to the Firewire site so the SP maybe slightly more floaty. Don't be fooled by similair widths and lengths in the wto boards because as Cuttie states the Zot doesnt have such a full nose as the SP and I would actually say that there is more similarity between a small Potbelly and the SP as the Zot is more Nugget like upfront.

I've had two Zots (still own one) and currently tempted by a smaller version, so if you get a sub 6'er and dont like it I'll take it off your hands :lol:
nawgy1979

Postby dixie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 pm

haha i have a 5 10 x 22 x 3 zot.....poss awee bit too sml for me......at 14.5 stone dry.
it paddles ace ...really fast but i found the tail sinking on take offs....archy is all over this "used once zot"

i think im gonna get gulfstream to do me a potato stylee in 6 x 22,5 x 3+

i have one main steep reef break at home......i have that covered as i like a biiig pintail on that wave not a 5 10

thanks for re=confirming my thoughts...plz feel free to add more.....maybe i just needed the 6'0 or 6'2 zot.....
but little chance of any more coming into uk as exchange rate is naff n geof mccoy is to retire very soon
dixie

Postby nawgy1979 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 pm

I have a mint 6'4 - swapsies ?
Haha !
nawgy1979

Postby nawgy1979 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:05 pm

I have a mint 6'4 - swapsies ?
Haha !
nawgy1979

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:17 pm

i'm bang on 14 stone atm and the 6'er floats me inbetween belly button and bottom rib with the board level in the water.c
I'm seriously under-volumed by Geoff's reckoning no doubt. :oops: :lol:
But I'll take it as it paddles very well in the flats and no issues catching waves and with the length of the rail in whatI am riding it in.
Sure I will test out its limits wave size wise but I have a few other boards that are for when it's bigger so I won't be dissapointed with it when I find those limits.
There was a 30 page or more thread on Swaylocks a few years ago on the zot and in it a poster by the handle of Tombstone who's a similar size and age to me went from a 5'10 to the 6'er and reckoned it made the grade.
An up-size could be good.
But not too much. :wink:
The 6'8" I rode once was way too much board for me.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuttlefish

Postby nawgy1979 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:58 pm

I had a 6'8 and I'm 5'10 and 80kg and it was big for me by the currrent 'in vogue' standards but it was such a good board and I regret getting rid of it to be honest. I think that although Geoff puts people on boards that they feel are bigger than they would choose themselves there is some method in the madness (sorry Geoff). I cant say why but the 6'8 went better than my current 6'4 but maybe it was just one of those special boards that remind you of good sesssions.
nawgy1979

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:42 pm

If you did a poll of all the surfers selling both their McCoys and their swee potatoes I would hazard to guess for the majority it was because they had too much foam and length.
Cuttlefish

Postby dixie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:54 am

I was too ambiguous with a 5'10 I think.....92kg in weak waves and a Grammy leg.......midlife crisis.....jools at gulfstream will juggle the ideas of a lip fat board n fix the issue....looks like archy will be on a zot v.soon
dixie

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:05 am

A 5'10 sounds ideal for someone about 82kg and 6'1.... :wink:
Archy_is_God

Postby Bearded Gimp » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:49 am

First dibs if you don't get on with it, eh Archy?
Bearded Gimp

Postby dixie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:59 am

Sorry bearded......I've a small platoon of folkss tobpass names of onto archy if he don't like it....it seems as there won't be anymore again in UK they're kinda of endangered speices
and very sought after....I should have held out for more cash.....hahaha
cheers archy will check the bank today
dixie

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 am

The stump left after removing my right arm looks to be healing up nicely :lol:
Archy_is_God

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design