Short, Fat & Wide (Fish/Shortboard Hybrid).

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Short, Fat & Wide (Fish/Shortboard Hybrid).

Postby Leedsol » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:07 am

Chatted and shared a peak with a surf instructor at Carrapateira earlier this month. Small perfect A-frame waves but he absolutely destroyed them on a 5'4 firewire sweet potatoe, he was about my size/weight too (5'10, 12.5st). Really impressed by the ease he got into the waves on the thing. Just shows how low you can go and why longboarders should be rounded up and shot
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby Craivold » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Hmmm.. Small perfect Portuguese A Frames, sounds fun :-D . Really like that Quiver board Thos, just from the look of it you could tell it would be a nice balance between glidey/squirty Sim and the more controlled fat shortboardy shapes, I guess the Firewire SP is right in the middle of those two designs somewhere as well - seen plenty of vids on YouTube of people ripping on them.
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby Cuttlefish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:14 am

Leedsol wrote:Chatted and shared a peak with a surf instructor at Carrapateira earlier this month. Small perfect A-frame waves but he absolutely destroyed them on a 5'4 firewire sweet potatoe, he was about my size/weight too (5'10, 12.5st). Really impressed by the ease he got into the waves on the thing. Just shows how low you can go and why longboarders should be rounded up and shot

Viva la revolution...the shortboard revolution.
The thing is if most of the older crew had the longboards pried off them and made to surf shortboards they would soon give up surfing in frustration.
These days no one seems to give up surfing they just get longer and more voluminous boards to compensate for their fading fitness and enlarged waist lines (around here at least).
:roll:
But by god they are greedy.
Cuttlefish

Postby Leedsol » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:51 am

Tongue firmly in cheek mate but i guess aussies don't do subtleties.

Point is tho' there is no need for young lads who are fit to prematurely go long. There is such an array of higher volumed boards compared to the toothpicks of yesteryear. All this bleating that you'll learn quicker, get more waves is wrong. You won't experience the closeness to the curl as u might otherwise. You will surf, in the vast majority of cases, less critical waves.

If ur under 50 and long then its an excuse for lack of fitness or skill which is fine but so many longboarders come over as holders of heritage and tradition. BS, surf nazis must die..
Leedsol

Postby Jory » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:53 am

Or of course you could just be riding a longboard under 50 cos you enjoy the feeling of glide and the style and grace inherent in traditional style heavy log surfing. Nose riding is fun after all. Maybe some of them shortboard better than you too if they want to!
Jory

Postby Black » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 am

Jory just beat me to it but I'll post anyway:
Let me introduce an odd kind of concept here, some people like surfing longboards!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Jory » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:55 am

Ps there are perhaps two camps. Those that CHOOSE to longboard sometimes for the above reason and those who use it as a crutch/ reason to b greedy. There is a difference
Jory

Postby Leedsol » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:23 am

I longboarded for quite a few years from late 90s to early '00s. Every holiday was over at Biarritz CdB. I even beat 3 hotdoggers at the interclubs at Scarborough 2002 on borrowed 9'6 which I promptly hung ten on on my first wave. Then I got tuned into shorter, I simply don't get it now but as stated above the majority will not progress on them or even surf them right. You can get glide and the inherent feel on a much shorter board. I don't think anyone can argue that the MP section on MOTE is not glide personified, likewise MR on the first section of Freeride or any of Andrew Kidman/Sprout non-longboard sections all of which is achievable on todays modern higher volumed boards for competent surfers on good points.

I just think that the constant rehashing of longboarding and reliving of 50/60s pioneers (like in Surfers Path - which became so repetitive that I cancelled my 10 year subscription and sold all my copies) serves nothing more than to provide a pension pot for Old surfers who want to keep perpetuating their youth and for whom many never settled down to responsibility. on this particular point this was an exceptionally interesting article: http://www.acmwriting.com/blog/?p=962

but its good being in a democracy where we can all hold different views. I like looking to the future I guess as humans hace sought to do for milenia and learn from the past rather than live in it. Simmons, Lis, Blake, Magic Sam boards tells us how we got here and with tweaking can take us to the future.
Leedsol

Postby Jory » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:52 am

Fair point I think, i find it hard to respect dora after reading the book too, although I would argue that the longboarding that knost, warren, chojnacki and co are doing now is not really rehashing what's gone before. They are light years ahead of even nuuhiwa as far as nose riding skill and technicality as well as "radicalness" of turns goes and I would say its more accurate to say that they may have started emulating the 50's/60's but they have taken it somewhere further.

The glide from a shorter board is there but it isn't the same as you get from a heavy log. I surf both lots so I do know
Jory

Postby Jory » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:15 am

Ps from memory the MP but on MOTE while smooth involves a lot of wiggling/pumping which isn't quite what I mean. I'm thinking more frye in the seedling

See first wave here
http://vimeo.com/m/28242799
Jory

Postby Cuttlefish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 am

Leedsol wrote:Tongue firmly in cheek mate but i guess aussies don't do subtleties.

:roll: :lol: :shock: :wink:
Says who?
Cuttlefish

Postby Cuttlefish » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:31 am

Jory wrote:Ps there are perhaps two camps. Those that CHOOSE to longboard sometimes for the above reason and those who use it as a crutch/ reason to b greedy. There is a difference

I was commenting on the crutchified in my post.
Hyped up swell here and the swell came in undersized so it was a crowded shit fight.
No bigger clean up sets to cleanse the line up unfortunately. :-(
Cuttlefish

Postby Black » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:30 pm

When I started in the early 70's the short revolution was happening here and I followed it believing in the progression from a slow heavy board to a light manoeuvrable one - that was the future and you could hardly give a big board away then. That's why I want to stick to a short board. There are guys down here still surfing shortboards who have got over ten years on me so all being well I'm hopeful of more years yet. If you want to surf a longboard though its entirely up to you (whoever you are) just don't do it near me!! :lol:
Black

Postby zboy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 pm

if you want speed, looseness and fun on head high plus waves get a 4.11 from paul at glide.you will be surprised at what you can go in at wave height that is. i had mine in the water the other day at head high beach break, super hollow and super clean barreling conditions :-) no issues what so ever, its a twin fin thing i guess :-)
zboy

Postby Jory » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 pm

http://instagram.com/p/chGlxbNedD/

Short fat and wide...... Oops it's a Simmons!

The sea pea has landed!

Incidentally looking at toms board, if you sawed 3 inches off the tail it would basically be the same shape!
Jory

Postby EasyTom » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Yes - except the bottom shape is a bit different. This FeeStix board has a single(ish) concave running into BIG double concaves with flats by the rails. I was worried as I've only seen bold concaves like that on Bonzers and stuff. But what do I know? It goes really well but I think it can feel a bit more 'tippy' and unstable when it's not at optimum speed than, say, a Simmons or my Dharma (with flatter bottom shapes and a touch of vee). But you know that I'm not that experienced a surfer (getting there slowly!) so my judgements/thoughts should be taken as such...

Glad this thread's got back on track!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A Board, Some Wax and a Leash
EasyTom

Postby Jory » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Is it concave right from the nose?

The bar of soap is belly into single into fairly big double concaves with vee (spiral vee?) seems to make it feel very lively and "squirty"
Jory

Postby EasyTom » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:14 pm

We need to meet up and compare bottoms. :oops:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EasyTom

Postby Black » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:12 pm

EasyTom wrote:We need to meet up and compare bottoms. :oops:

Is that why they call you Easy Tom? :shock:
Black

Postby defever » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Little revival.

I was down in Woolacombe on Sat., popped in at Hunter's to finally see the Funky Pig range. 5'4" Egg tri fin and 5'2" Simmons-type quad. They are truly obese; thick and wide.

But one thing I didn't know until I've seen and felt it, is that the board's rail is pinched around at the colour. So pinched it's almost like, not exactly, a "step-deck". And the bottom is flat throughout. May be a vee, but prbably due to the paint over the stringer. I can now understand why that tiny thing is holding so much foam. Hmm... Pig... nom nom nom...

I thought I'd share this on here.
defever

Postby EasyTom » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 pm

My mate had been playing on a Funky Pig that a friend of his had & enjoyed it in small waves. Then he bought a Quiver "Fony" and would never go back, he loves it. They're fun boards those Funky Pigs but they look revolting (personal viewpoint obviously - but shared by many!) and don't perform as well as a Fony - but they do serve a purpose, price point etc.

While I'm here I'd like to point out that my favourite short fat & wide is this 5'9 (is that short enough for this thread?) McCallum Twin Pin for Kookbox. It gives a great wide platform for take-off and flat bits but then because of the pintail the board just melts away when you're flying along - it likes good size waves too...
And it's very nicely crafted!
EasyTom

Postby defever » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:29 pm

^^ For a second I wondered why you have your leash plug on the nose... Looks nice!

I, too, have to agree that actally Funky Pig is good but you get what you pay for. The other day I had a chance to try 5'4" sweet potato on an onshore slop and my God, that thing flies. I can easily be a firewire empire convert. But, not so keen on the price tag.

So! With the discovery of LoveFoam (Chris is currently busy until Spring), I think I might make my own board based on Sweet Potato and other similar boards...!
defever

Postby g_baby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:06 am

Finally back on track, thanks!

I really enjoy following those precious posts as it is the topic I'm most interested in, besides all sorts of surfing topics ;).
Thank you E. for sharing your thoughts with us and shaping under the advice of experts does sound so much rewarding to me. Please keep us updated! You might also take a Little Donkey or Fony, HPJ kind of model into your considerations as well; Adams and Cre8tion do have demos to try and they might give you an idea which might also give your board the "warp drive" if wanted and taken into consideration.
Actually everyone in the business seem to do some sort of those boards nowadays with a bit of tweak here and a pinch of salt there - so there is plenty to look at and learn from around.
Have a good one and good luck with creating your ultimate, personalized, all-sorts-of-waves machine.
g.
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby

Postby g_baby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:13 am

@EasyTom
What a beauty! Any chance to get some more details about dims (nose, tail, wide point etc. etc.) and rails and contours and and and... Cannot really concentrate when looking at her #drooling onto the screen tremendously. Gladly as a pm as well.
It looks like such a fantastic stick!
---
g_baby

Postby EasyTom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 am

I might try and PM you measurements - they're not written on the board though. But to be honest with this board it's all about the foil and the rails, the foam taken out of the nose and the rocker (especially up front), the belly to single to double etc etc. I don't think you could copy it without seeing it in the flesh. Surfed it twice this weekend and loved every minute. Easy take-off, makes the sections. Ka-Boom!!! :-D
EasyTom

Postby g_baby » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:06 am

Oh wow, that'll be very kind of you indeed!

But there are plenty of more limitations with copying ;-) not to mention the riders skills to tame her once copied! I can see why you love her though. :) Please keep on sharing your stoke!
---
g_baby

Postby dixie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:32 am

Jory wrote:For the record, the sims go great in all the waves round here, especially in crappy windswell when their wide flat nature skates you over sections and as long as u go short enough they still turn!

How they feel depends on the detail a bit, some feel like a smooth fast fish (bar of soap for example) some feel more like a hull that turns (Lovelace velo sim)

I'm not sure what guy at bb thinks but he hasn't ridden anything under 9 foot himself so I'd take his view with a pinch if salt!

Gulfstream have a sim model available from now which sits between the bar of soap and the bing sim and is definately at the more maneuverable end of the spectrum Image
http://twitter.com/GulfStreamSurf/statu ... 61/photo/1

Also at the risk of being a bit 5 years ago, what about a Short quad fish? They are ace in smaller waves of all descriptions

i was going to say be careful who dishes out the advice....but jory beat me to it verdict= go talk to quality shaper aka jools

mine works great

Last edited by dixie on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixie

Postby VillageIdiot » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Very nice Dix. Vital stats please.
www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby dixie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:49 am

6 x 22 and a bit bit x 3
blunt hilly nose rolled into vee in fins

uber buttery
dixie

Postby dixie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:55 am

Hully not hilly nose
dixie

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design