Short, Fat & Wide (Fish/Shortboard Hybrid).

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Short, Fat & Wide (Fish/Shortboard Hybrid).

Postby surfrat » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Hey Tom,
I tried Robs Fony and it's a very different board from my Pig. Nice and shortboardy BUT in utter mush and slop that pig will go better for sure as it's higher volume.
The fony was lush though and i'd seriously consider getting one but I like my 5'10 too much. will see if one comes up second hand.
but the mileage i've had outta that pig has been ridicuous. it flies.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby dixie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:13 am

this thing flies!!!!
i bought it as a sweet potato alternative. spoke to jools (GULFSTREAM) and came up with a plan for a sml wave toy.
BUT on its 2nd day out st combesgate the swell suddenly went from chest to a fairbit overhead.....im thinking uhh ohh this wont cope too well ....WRONG !! as the wave got better so did the "squirty" nature of this design. now, im 41 n lardy n dont get in too much, but this just makes me shine.

"longboard wave" tool that goes in better surf too. had to nurse a few bottom turns initially, but with a 19" tail you would wouldnt you.

the glory comes from a "buttery" "wet soap" feel down the line "vvvvvvip" acceleration from the get go is quite intense, and being so squat it can be thrown about from off the tail with ease.

my mate , an avid mctavish longboarder had a swopsy for half a session with it.....he had the biggest smile on his face...he loved it and couldnt suss how he was getting longboard waves on such a" "small" platform
mine carries 51 litres.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .( as requested....for isle of wight slack high tiders) imagine what you younger fitter folks could go down to , n still gobble up log waves...? and then throw it in the back of a fiat 500 !!

highly recomended not a shortboard.....but dumps truck loads of fun back into summer slack/not so slack waves
dixie

Postby VillageIdiot » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:04 pm

Dix, when is it going to be up for sale ? Or, is it a keeper (are you familiar with the term )? If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh ? Would you call it a mini-sim ? Does Joolz have a template for this shape ? What is the meaning of life ?
www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby dixie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:31 am

1) yes keepin although having it "adjusted" by jools
2) 14 1/2 stone nude
3) one off
4) 42 play enjoy love experiment ,,it aint no rehersal......42
dixie

Postby VillageIdiot » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:54 am

Adjusted how ? What are the bottom contours ? Glad to see that you are a, ahem... 'power surfer' like myself !
www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby dixie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:00 pm

bottom contour
hully rolled entry to flat to double

but sufice to say i love it enough to get another slightly tweaked

got the width to paddle a 23 incher without any fuss...unlike lesser frames :shock: :mrgreen:
dixie

Postby surfrat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:14 pm

rode the Fony again today...sooo good. quick as hell and glides thru fat bits but really feels good put on rail too. i want one!
surfrat

Postby EasyTom » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:24 pm

You should try my Twin Pin! It enjoyed today too...

I'm thinking the width under the chest is the crucial aspect for a helping hand into mucky waves. I'm thinking that's the crucial part of short, fat and wide and you can experiment with the tail for turn or glide. But it's still that width under the front foot that gets you across the flat spots & stuff.

To be honest, it was just nice not to be wearing a ridiculous costume today :-D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A Board, Some Wax and a Leash
EasyTom

Postby surfrat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:32 pm

i'm really noticing the limitations of the pig in terms of rail work and bottom turns....it needs more tail rocker to tighten up bottom turns and some more vee in the tail to help rail to rail.
that's all....
or i should just ride my shortboard more
surfrat

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design