Hull or Grimsby in disguise?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Hull or Grimsby in disguise?

Postby Philshoz » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:06 pm

rodent wrote:Got a loan of an 8 ft hull, any tips for surfing them for the first time

Wax on top, fins underneath.............(sorry)
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby hentex » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:12 pm

don't pump it or else!
hentex

Postby da ghost » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:18 pm

As the earlier posts say.... Less is more!?

Probably depends on what board it is & what you're used to riding but I'd suggest take it somewhere quiet, don't take yourself too seriously & have fun enjoying the glide
da ghost

Postby mister-griffster » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 pm

^ As above - depends on the board - be patient, not too much back foot pressure, prepare to be humbled and feel like a surfing god in equal measure - do not treat it with any respect, reverence or fear - it's a surfboard - it'll push you towards shore just like all the others, but with any luck the rides will be smoother, longer and faster than many of your others - let the board do the work, it'll find it's own center and tap the power pockets in the wave, and if there's a section just aim below it - stay with it, and before you know it you'll be back on a clean face even if you think there's no possible way you'll make it. Use the rail for deep turns, the rail is your friend in trim or turns - don't be afraid to bury it. Whisper in it's ear and snap it's knicker elastic and you'll both be wearing a grin :wink:
mister-griffster

Postby flacky » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:15 pm

YouTube jimmy gamboa, watch how he moves, copy, shamelessly.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby ears » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:51 pm

the joy of an 8' hull is that you should be able to stand mid board and just trim at high speed for as long as the wave will let you.. break trim and link a couple of top and bottom turns and you should be flying along at warp speed.. should be fun!! :-)
ears

Postby da ghost » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Thought it was about time this thread was resurrected....

It's been a while. Any hullahollics got anything to share? :-D

Picked up a 8'6 hot generation from tim mason a year or so ago & love it. Thought a long hull could be fun too so made fatal mistake of getting back in touch with tim & just taken delivery of 9' hull. New model for tim, approx dims 9x22 3/4 x 3. Heading west for a few days' test riding from Sunday, Will post a pic & ride report on return. There's a pic on Tim's website if anyone's interested (longer boards)
da ghost

Postby ears » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:16 pm

I've been surfing my point breaker all summer and been having a blast on it.. However surfed it last weekend on the east coast in pretty meaty waves pushing the 5' mark.. Got my arse severely kicked on more waves than I care to remember.. Liddles don't like airdrops! Just had a blast on it this evening at watergate, 3 to 4' and howling offshores.. Once you're in it was flying down the line. I started the session on a 6'2 quad fish which was fun but one decent wave in the liddle was worth ten on the fish!

In a moment of weakness I too have been emailing mrmason.. One thing les to another and the next thing you know we've (I say we, its 100 percent him) come up with a 6'0 stand up velo quad.. Looking very, very nice. Tim has turned it round bloody quick as well and put a lot of work into coming up with templates etc.. Very exciting!

Right.. I'm off to have a perv at that 9' - sounds fantastic!

Cheers - Ears
ears

Postby da ghost » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Hey ears, standup velo quad sounds a lot of fun; make sure you post pic when tim has delivered.

Frustrated by not being able (capable?!) to add pics on MSW as wanted to share pics of my latest - hey ho. Sea trials commence tomorrow & suspect I'll be taking a fair few beatings :lol:
da ghost

Postby ears » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Pictures to follow once I've got it.. Comprehensive ride report required on the new one please?? :-)
ears

Postby JayP » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Ooh Mason quad velo!!! - Looking forward to seeing the pics ears. You must be wetting yourself waiting to get it! Lucky bugger! :-D
JayP

Postby flacky » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:01 pm

I'm awaiting a 7'6 from him.

My mucker was on my Mason son of Sam today as I was on my Dewey Weber performer, he fricking loved it.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby ears » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:09 am

Yes.. Very exciting stuff.. I'm intrigued to see how much hull feel it has with concave running through the fins.. Will post once i get it! :(
ears

Previous

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design