New to surfing, few questions

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

New to surfing, few questions

Postby S.Hayes » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi all, first a quick introduction, my names Sam, I'm 19 into motorbikes, rugby, guitars/music (all the usual stuff for a guy my age)

A while back I had a couple of surf lessons, and loved it, but a lack of funds etc put an end to my desires to surf, now I have a job and a bit of money to spend and I really want to get surfing. I intend on having more lessons as I wasn't exactly the most natural surfer, but I want to get my own board and spend as much time as possible in the water.

So the first and most obvious (and probably most asked) question: What board should I get? Ideally I don't want to spend a huge amount. I'm around 5ft9/10 and 90kg

My second question comes from being stuck just about as far away from the sea as possible in the UK, what's the best way to secure one to the roof of a car? I've had a look around and send the soft roof things designed for surfboards, but see lots use regular roof racks as well.

My third question I'm looking at moving to Australia within the next 12-18months, would it be better to keep the board I buy and pay to ship it over or is getting used to a new board not that difficult once you can surf?

Thanks all, Sam.
S.Hayes

Re: New to surfing, few questions

Postby tynemouthmatt » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Longboard

Regular roof rack

Buy/rent when you are out there
tynemouthmatt

Postby S.Hayes » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 am

Cheers mate
S.Hayes

Postby Belldogs » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:53 pm

I would start out with a longboard then as you get better and you're confidence builds you can gradually go down board sizes, like a minimal then to a short board with allot of thickness, then eventually a high performance board if that's the kind of surfing you want to get into.

Depending on how much cash you've got I would definitely get roof racks but if you can't afford them the soft temporary racks will do but I don't really have much confidence in those things, you wouldn't want you're board flying off going 100k/h down the highway.
Belldogs

Postby flacky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:02 am

Get a longboard, stick to it. You'll end up surfing longboards when you're old, so you might as well get good on them from the off.

Enjoy.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Back to Top » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 am

flacky wrote:Get a longboard, stick to it. You'll end up surfing longboards when you're old, so you might as well get good on them from the off.

Enjoy.

Wish someone had said this to me 25years ago!! :lol: :wink:

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design