1940's Bob Simmons replica

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

1940's Bob Simmons replica

Postby blue_pig » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Firstly a bit of a cool story from last year here: http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopi ... =29&t=4895

The design is a replica of a replica taken from a 1940's Bob Simmons shape. 9' and chunky.

Brad was kind enough to let me trial a build of his chambering method called 'Eco Chamber'. It's taken a little while to get going on this one so there are now kits available on the Wood Surfboard Supply site including some early build pics.

Anyway, the frame arrived during our trip to Oregon last year and was released from its packaging this morning. The alignment jig is done and the first half is gluing up this afternoon. The way this one is going to be is from some XPS foam off cuts that I have been collecting over the year. These have been trimmed into 37mm strips ready to be glued to each stringer so what I will end up with will be a multi stringer blank ready for shaping. XPS in order to keep the weight down and to see if a chambered foam blank is a feasible idea. I'm confident it will work and will give me a go at shaping. I've not got an outline guide or nose and tail shapes to work from. The whole Eco Chamber concept is recycling and reusing scrap materials to build a board. So, if you own a couple of smashed up beyond repair boards then maybe you could recycle them using the kit.

My plan is to get the rest of the blank glued up by Friday then take stock as to how then to progress. I'm thinking lokbox replica half moon fins, translucent red tint epoxy lam, white and blue pinlines, double 4oz top and bottom. Maybe even a vacuum bagged veneer for that wood look in something special. No blanket work this time.

Hollow wood - well not quite. I just don't have balsa available and not enough paulownia in stock. The principle would be the same. Think Eco and use of scraps.

blue_pig

Re: 1940's Bob Simmons replica

Postby tynemouthmatt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Looking forward to seeing this done.

How much tail rocker has this got?

I did a 9'6" simmons for a mate a while back, real low tail rocker, can't remember what it was but under 2".

Once in trim its amazing but super tracky and needs a mellow wave to work well. Its pretty hard to surf.

Got it back in at the moment, going to take the keels off and fit a single fin box. Hopefully that will make it a little less tracky.
tynemouthmatt

Postby blue_pig » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Yeah i remember that one - I can take some measurements tomorrow when I flip the jig and glue up the other half. Just need to email Brad for the outline / nose/ tail details. Not much rocker in the tail and a bugger to surf by all accounts. I'll bring it down once its done, some others too. A mate Craig in tynemouth got me inspired to knock out the carpet.
Lokbox means finless for the crack too..
blue_pig

Postby tynemouthmatt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:26 am

blue_pig wrote:Yeah i remember that one - I can take some measurements tomorrow when I flip the jig and glue up the other half. Just need to email Brad for the outline / nose/ tail details. Not much rocker in the tail and a bugger to surf by all accounts. I'll bring it down once its done, some others too. A mate Craig in tynemouth got me inspired to knock out the carpet.
Lokbox means finless for the crack too..

It was Craig who I made the 9'6" simmons for!
tynemouthmatt

Postby blue_pig » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Ha! My missus works with his..

Tail rocker looks like 45mm, nose is 125mm

Got the second half glued up today do tomorrow they get mated together. Loving this build, more pics when I find the camera.
blue_pig

Postby blue_pig » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Jig and centre stringer:

nose rocker:

tail rocker:

side 2:

connecting rod:

both sections:
blue_pig

Postby blue_pig » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 pm

quick slice up to add an extra 2 inch to bring it up to 23" and its ready to shape:

blue_pig

Postby blue_pig » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:49 am

Outline ready to trim after a bit of rough shaping:
blue_pig

Postby blue_pig » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:19 pm

the nose outline was wrong and it needed a stringer.
cut:

glue up strips of cedar for stringer and rough trim:

glue:

plane down:

I decided on just the one stringer so if I snap the board it means I should have added another two.. Double 4oz or three on the top and double 4oz bottom. That would mean four or five layers lapped around the rails so thats the thinking behind just a single 5mm cedar stringer. It is made of strips but glued up diaganol so should be OK I think. I also took the opportunity to add a couple of extra foam blocks near the nose to enable me to get the right nose outline. I'm nearly there with the outline and have it taped up. Another look at it outside with fresh eyes on Wednesday and I can tweak and trim it to the outline. Then shaping which I'll do by hand.
blue_pig

Postby Black » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 pm

That plane looks suspiciously like a Stanley block plane I have - do I get a prize if I'm right?
Keep up the good work, why did you decide you needed a stringer anyway?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby blue_pig » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Yep - my trusted mate Stanley. Your prize = a go on the magic carpet in return for feedback on the board. We hit Devon on Friday morning..
The frame kit is poplar bending ply with mainly vertical grain. So by adding a horizontal grain stringer means a stronger structure. The frame kit was initially designed to use blocks of balsa, paulownia, as filler pieces so the vertical grain didn't matter as the blocking running lengthways gave if the stiffness. Because I'm a massive miser I'm using freebie xps floor insulation and hollow at that. If I had bought the foam then reckon on a tenner. Paulownia would have been knocking on two hundred quid, which in my book is too much. The trade off was a log of flex and a board that could collapse. I'm also a skinny arse so the risk is worth taking. The stringer has made a good difference to how flexy it was, and a double or triple glass job should tighten it up some too. Should still have a bit of xps twang though compared to a heavy woody.
blue_pig

Postby Black » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am

Very clear explanation thanks. There's more to it than my small brain realises!
Had my Stanley plane for decades, still going strong. Devon is a bit far but there may be other Devoners here interested?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby blue_pig » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:57 am

Keels made for the Simmons this week - burr elm. Time to dust off the board and get it finished in the next few weeks.
blue_pig

Postby blue_pig » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Outline cut - I got proper nose and tail templates and it's looking good, really looking forward to getting stuck into final shaping allotment stylee (by hand):

The fins are curing after a void filling coat so hoping to get them glassed in the next day or so.
blue_pig

Postby blue_pig » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Here's the lamination - it turned out 4oz + 6oz on the bottom, then I ran out of 4oz so did the top 6oz + 6oz. The cloth really sucked up the resin and it got a little hairy as the red tint had started to kick midway through wrapping the rails. I really like the dipped in black nose, and in particular the couple of spots = these will balance up the logo which will go on under the gloss coat. I was tempted to whack on a few black stripes blanket style. Next job is to sand the laps then add the fins. This will be a beefy log!

blue_pig

Postby blue_pig » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Fill coat and logo added - it'll need a sand then the final gloss. I might even leave this one shiny:

blue_pig

Postby tynemouthmatt » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:40 pm

Mike this looks class, would love to have a shot some time and compare to the one I made Craig.
tynemouthmatt

Postby blue_pig » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:09 pm

sure thing! be cool to see how they compare.

Here's the keels - I'm calling them my B keels - 3D printed in wood by nature :lol: - book matched burr elm and first time for glass ons (could have soaked the rope a little more but the kwik kick was getting hot at this point):

blue_pig

Postby blue_pig » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:05 pm

A few post-sanding pictures to give you a sense of the shape - it looks bonkers!! Gloss and its done :o)

blue_pig

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design