What kind of fin system is that?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

What kind of fin system is that?

Postby Bionic » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:41 am

Hi guys,

I recently bought a used board with FCS fins installed (the very common fins FCS M5 with the two bases, I dont know the exact name). However, the fin boxes look strange (see photo). Even though FCS fins do fit, I just broke 3 fins in 4 sessions. The fins always broke at the base. I didn't hit a rock or sandbar or anything. The fin just broke -- THREE TIMES now. So I figure there must be something wrong with the "fin box-fin-combination". I only know futures and FCS. What kind of fin system is that and can you recommend any solution for my problem? The photo is bad quality but the box seems to be too wide as the fins are very loose and just fixed by 4 screws.You can see the rest of the fin in the rear compartment.

Thanks a lot for any help, I like the board :)
Phil
Bionic

Re: What kind of fin system is that?

Postby flacky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:01 pm

What's the board? I've never seen that before, so I'd suggest it's made by the board makers maybe?
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby coxie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Speed fin system.
Don't think you can get them in the uk though and pretty sure they don't take fcs either, you need the special speed fins to go in them
Did you pop into surfed out earlier if so It was me they spoke to when you were there.
http://www.speedfins.com.au/
coxie

Postby coxie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Ahh just read their website and it says you can use fcs in the box and it looks like oke surfboards make the boxes.

If the fcs fins felt loose have you tried just doing up the inside grubs first so the fins seat nicely against the opposite side of the box then just nipping the other two grubs not too tight.
coxie

Postby Bionic » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:31 am

Perfect, thanks a lot, I never heard about Speedfins. Good thing is I live in Sydney, so it shouldn't be a big deal to get them. Also, good tip regarding only using two screws, that might help. I still have plenty of FCS fins. And it's a Webber board :)
Cheers
Bionic

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design