Nine Plus Egg/Carpet

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Nine Plus Egg/Carpet

Postby seenit » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi everyone this is my first post here so hope it's in the right place etc. I've been looking into getting an Egg or carpet, about 7'6", and came across this Nine Plus board in the link below
http://www.surfskatesnow.co.uk/nine-plu ... brown.html

It looks pretty good but I found out it's made in China. Ethical considerations aside for the purpose of this conversation (buying british will be a factor in my final decision) I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience of these boards and can testify to the quality of the shape and workmanship?

I've ridden shortboards before but had 6 years off surfing bar a week here or there so want a board like this as a log for all conditions, refine my style and progress on before getting back on the shortboard again.

Cheers
seenit

Re: Nine Plus Egg/Carpet

Postby seenit » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:53 am

Just an update on this post, I've gone with a UK shaper to get something custom made as I felt getting a board made in a factory was something I wanted to avoid. I'm paying the same price for a shape suited to exactly what I want, only slight downside is a wait til September but I'm well happy with that. :-D
seenit

Postby Craivold » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:43 am

Sounds like you've made the right choice, why buy off the shelf when you can get something tailored for you, made locally for the same price? What shaper did you go with in the end? I do like the look of the Magic Carpet shapes, never tried one though, they look like a fun shape for smooth surfing when its small, cheater 5s in trim and all that stuff.

Good move going with something bigger to improve your style before going back to a shortboard too I reckon. Good luck with it :D
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby seenit » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:56 am

Hi Craivold!

So in the end I went with Adrian at Fluid-juice. Bit of a convoluted story but basically went over to Lanzarote for a little get back into surfing holiday and actually had a few lessons with Tim Jones at Surf School Lanzarote. Awesome guy and quite an eye-opener about the flaws in my self taught technique, and how basically misusing the maneuverability of a short board from day dot can really hold your surfing back. Tim and Adrian have a shape they've developed called a Little Miki' which is a high performance variant of the carpet/egg/minimal, and of course with Tim having seen my surfing firsthand he was able to suss out the exact right dimensions. It was really hard to get hold of Adrian at first (due to him being so busy) so my impatience was making me look in to other boards but I'm sure that this is the right thing to do.
I've got a shortboard, fish and much older minimal which I've been out on since getting back and managed to get waves on all 3 but can feel instant relapse into bad habits so I'm sure it's the right thing to be doing. I've set myself the challenge of surfing the Little Miki exclusively for a year in all conditions when I get it, although I can see the lack of a duckdive being a problem. At 18 I would have cringed at the thought of riding anything other than a shortboard but at 28 I really don't care what's under my feet as long as my surfing's progressing and I'm getting loads of waves.
As a slight aside if anyone out there wants to improve technique I would thoroughly recommend a trip to Lanzarote to see Tim. He's coached up to the highest standard of surfing in the UK (he has surf instructors from the uk and ireland visiting him for coaching sessions too) and is an awesome surfer himself. He'll find a wave in Lanzarote to test you out, no two ways about it.
seenit

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design