BUying a board for the Mrs

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

BUying a board for the Mrs

Postby samyan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi

I'm buying a board for my other halfs birthday and want to make sure I'm making the right choice. She's fairly unfit (and hopefully never looks at this forum lol), 5'4", about 9 stone. She's a begginer and doesn't get in if it's over 4ft (which isn't often) or winter/early spring.

I'm looking at getting her a magic carpet from Quiver as I've had a couple of custom boards from them before and been happy with the quality and customer service. The dims I'm looking at are 7'4" (so it'll go inside my van) 23" (is this too wide?) 3 1/8 (could I go thicker or would this be detrimental?) Should I go for a single fin or quad or thruster?

The main things that I want out of the board are stability and wave count. I want it to be as easy as posible to catch and ride waves.

I some people might say to get her a cheaper or second hand board for her first one but if she doesn't get on with it it'll be my new small wave board 8)

Cheers.
samyan

Re: BUying a board for the Mrs

Postby flacky » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Buy her an ipad, enjoy the freedom while you can. You'll get married, her friends will become your friends and your friends will become alright but a bit rough and best not invited round, then she'll decide you shouldn't really be wearing trainers anymore, as diane's friend shops at Ted Baker and looks really smart, it's not that she doesn't love the way you dress, it's kinda cute, but you're going for drinks as couples from now on so maybe you should buy some shoes and a shirt...

iPad, enjoy the peace while you can alone.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby defever » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 pm

^^ Instant best "what board?" advice I've ever heard and will ever hear...

I don't think she wants a surfboard for her birthday... get her what she wants not what she says she wants (to please you)...

Rent a board for her in the summer and why don't you just get a new board for yourself anyway?
defever

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 pm

this looks a bit like a magic carpet , see what she thinks :lol: :lol:

Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby flacky » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Funny, she can buy me a cook book, a George Foreman grill or a set of digital scales. Oh, and the le creuset pan for recent birthdays/Christmas. But I buy her a Hoover and get fuck all gratitude. I even picked the lightest one for her... But no, cooking is a hobby... Not a chore... Bollocks.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Philshoz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:45 am

flacky wrote:Buy her an ipad, enjoy the freedom while you can. You'll get married, her friends will become your friends and your friends will become alright but a bit rough and best not invited round, then she'll decide you shouldn't really be wearing trainers anymore, as diane's friend shops at Ted Baker and looks really smart, it's not that she doesn't love the way you dress, it's kinda cute, but you're going for drinks as couples from now on so maybe you should buy some shoes and a shirt...

iPad, enjoy the peace while you can alone.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Funny as fook Flacky.....................I guess Mme Flacky doesn't read this.....??
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Chris F » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am

She does now, I just sent a link to her facebook. :wink:

(pure class btw)
Chris F

Postby flacky » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:57 am

She isn't on my nosey book, you think I'm mental?
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design