Forum surfboard test / meet up / swap / demo?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Forum surfboard test / meet up / swap / demo?

Postby reserves » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 am

Not sure i this has been done before as I'm fairly new here.

Had an idea to arrange a day where we get as many forum members to meet up at the same spot with their boards.

If agreeable you can try out each others boards, or swap while out in the water.

If the idea takes off we could ask local shops / shapers to bring their demo boards too.

Idea being to try out as many different types of boards in a day / weekend then go for beer ?
reserves

Re: Forum surfboard test / meet up / swap / demo?

Postby Black » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:09 am

I think the informal meet/swap/surf idea works.
The shops would already have demo boards available so unless it was a bigger official thing I doubt they'd be much interested. Also last year or the one before something similar had to be cancelled due to disagreements.
On the other hand you could just go up to anyone in the water whos board you like the look of and ask for a go! :P
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby blue_pig » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Wood meet North East - got a few I'd love feedback on including the Roy Stewart esque parallel profile...
blue_pig

Postby tynemouthmatt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:06 am

blue_pig wrote:Wood meet North East - got a few I'd love feedback on including the Roy Stewart esque parallel profile...

A north east meet would be good...if we ever get any waves again
tynemouthmatt

Postby reserves » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:06 am

Ahh, I thought it was a good idea, maybe some informal board swaps might work.

For me I'm keen to try shorter boards to see if I can ride them, currently riding a Firewire Addvance 6' 10" (beast) previously rode 7' 6" Mini Mal.

Surf North Devon whenever I can (not very often...) :)
reserves

Postby d.kennett 1983 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:44 am

tynemouthmatt wrote:
blue_pig wrote:Wood meet North East - got a few I'd love feedback on including the Roy Stewart esque parallel profile...

A north east meet would be good...if we ever get any waves again

Been a crap year apart from cold river sessions i would be up for a meet get my two tomo inspired shapes in there
http://kandksurfboards.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/KK-surfboards/332681570101640
d.kennett 1983

Postby defever » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:44 am

Good idea.

There's an academy in Perranporth which has a good selection of boards to try as many and as much as you can. It's an academy so there is a little fee per month or so, but the boards are on the beach and they can be used when ever it's open. It's like all-you-can-eat of surfing.

If this still exists (Black?) then it's might be a good meeting place for folks around Perranporth?
defever

Postby Black » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:11 am

defever wrote:Good idea.

There's an academy in Perranporth which has a good selection of boards to try as many and as much as you can. It's an academy so there is a little fee per month or so, but the boards are on the beach and they can be used when ever it's open. It's like all-you-can-eat of surfing.

If this still exists (Black?) then it's might be a good meeting place for folks around Perranporth?

Hi defever, not sure of the one you mean, could be TT Ride by the beach but I don't know if they do that? Certainly Sam Lamiroy has started an academy with a selection of interesting boards, this is a monthly fee arrangement plus discounts on various things for members, can't really see that being much use if you're not at least a regular visitor though. Hey I should be on commission here!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby defever » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks Black, it's Sam's academy I wanted to mention. Nice person with nice academy. But I guess it's bit hard to make the most of it unless you are a regular. I'd definitely use his academy if I was local to Perranporth. Boards and fins for all you can ride!
defever

Postby prjwebb » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Would be fun!
prjwebb

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design