Advice on my custom singlefin

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Advice on my custom singlefin

Postby migum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for a custom singlefin and would like to solicit some advice. First, I'll tell you a little about myself (my stats and surfstyle). Then, I'll go in to my idea for the board, provide some of my inspirations, and then ask for some help! Thanks in advance!

I am 27 years old, 5'10" and 165lbs. I have been surfing since I was a teenager. I surf small to moderately big waves (never anything over 12' California scale). My ideal surf height is 4'-8'. I do not boost airs or get too radical...just simple top to bottom surfing. I shortboard, long board, fish, etc. Lately, I've been riding a friend's singlefin and have fallen in love.

After doing some searching online, I came across the "Hellhound" model from the guys at Dead Kooks in Australia (see towards the middle of the page - http://deadkooks.com/MODELS). I like how the Hellhound has the wide point pushed forward and the wider nose. See my Alex Knost inspiration here where he gets up to the nose on what I imagine to be a similarly shaped board (http://www.dailysurfvideos.com/videos/a ... a-rica-407).

Here is where I am having some trouble and would love some input:
1). Wide or narrow (winged) pin tail?

If I were surfing perfect waves with some push (such as the waves Alex is surfing in the above clip), then I think the winged, tight pin tail would be great. But since I am surfing most smaller waves in SoCal, I think I'd be better of with a wider pin tail to keep up the speed.

2). Would any of you recommend going less than 2 & 3/4 or is that pushing it?

The singlefin that I am riding at the moment is pretty thick...probably 3". But I do like how the Hellhound and Alex's board seem to be on the thinner side. I just dont want to go too thin.

3). For width, I was thinking 21 & 1/2 with the wide point pushed forward. Thoughts?

4). Lastly, something I have very little knowledge on...bottom contour. I've been told to stick with the Vee but have also read about some people testing with single or double contour leading to vee out the back.

Thanks so much for the opinions! I'd love to get some input from people who know what they are talking about. Please, if your opinions don't come from shaping experience or intimate knowledge of how board design affects surfing I'd appreciate it if you left it to the experts. I don't mean to sound snooty, but there are so many conflicting opinions out there and cutting down the chatter would be much appreciated.
migum

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design