5 10 dwart - advice please

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

5 10 dwart - advice please

Postby loxy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:42 pm

i currently surf a jp fatboy flyer - 6'10"x2.5x2.62 - i really fancy a rusty dwart and would like a board to progress on, and still surf all year round in south wales - uk

will a rusty dwart 5'10" 20.75/2.69 36.3litres be to small or just right

i would say i am an intermediate surfer and weigh 192lb (87kg)

thanks in advance guys :)
loxy

Re: 5 10 dwart - advice please

Postby Craivold » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Depends I suppose - do you find you catch loads of waves on the FB Flyer? Do you sometimes feel like its too much board when up and riding want something more responsive? What kind of waves do you find yourself out in mostly?

To be honest the Dwarts are quite performancey boards compared to a lot of today's super grovellers, they have quite a narrow nose/tail and are quite foiled in those areas which is good for when the waves have more juice but not so good when they have less power, fatter etc... I weigh 70kg and had a 5'8 Dwart copy for a while, intended for any shape waist-shoulder high wave type days;

It paddled ok and caught almost as many waves as my 5'10 Speed Dialer fish but I wouldn't say it 'got you into waves easy' and it was responsive to the point of being twitchy (for me) when up and riding, more twitchy than the 6'3 high performance shortboard at the time. Overall I just couldn't get a rhythm going with it and shipped it on. Maybe mine was too small or maybe I just didn't suit the shape. So i'd say if you do go for one at your weight don't go too small, you'll probably hate it, if you're a pretty confident surfer go about 6'2 at the smallest to begin with - ideally find a surf shop that'll demo a board out to you or buy second hand to minimalise the loss if you don't get on with it.

If you like the shortboardy type surfing but want to cut length you're probably better off on a Fourth Doofer or Bumblebart in around 6'4 - http://store.magicseaweed.com/product.p ... ctId=55910

Don't go too short too soon I reckon as you'll only regret it (I did) :)
http://dragonhilldiaries.com/
Craivold

Postby loxy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 pm

thanks for the advice crai :) - took a punt on it 2nd hand on ebay - got outbid :( the doofer looks well cool just the sort of thing i was after but the 6 4 looks like its got too much volume, i think

but then the chilli bean looks great also. just want a board small enough to duckdive but still have float and catchability - i will search on.. thanks again buddy
loxy

Postby buttholesurfer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:58 am

I wouldnt buy a European Rusty as the build quality is shite! Give Diplock a call and state what your after, at least youll be getting a quality shaped stick.
buttholesurfer

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design