Uk shaped 11ft Glider.

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Uk shaped 11ft Glider.

Postby Chinaman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 am

Hi all,

Looking to buy another glider in the 11ft range, rather than importing one.
Can anyone recommend a uk shaper that has experience in shaping one in the 11ft range.
Am I looking at the usual suspects, if they can find a blank long enough.??

Thanks Matt.
Chinaman

Re: Uk shaped 11ft Glider.

Postby Dori » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:22 pm

What did you go for in the end?

Is this a Matt I know? :)
Dori

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:26 am

It's worth giving Blacker a shout - there isn't much he hasn't been involved in over the years and will understand the rail/bottom shape/fin relationship as well as anyone. His longer 'Fun guns' are all about trim and speed but with a little more versatility than an outright Glider. However, I've always thought that a single finned version with a hair less rocker would make a great usable glider.

As for costing less cash than an imported Mabile or Mitsven? It would probably be close! They are made beautifully though, with gorgeous (and functional) beading through the last 8 inches or so of the tail and in the nose - my old fun gun even had a gold leaf lam top and bottom!

A friend of mine has an 11'1" Widow maker Gun by Blacker..... :shock: Just for those classic days at Guethary, Belharra and Nazare :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby Chinaman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks for the tip Archy, Blacker did come to mind after seeing your fun gun in the for sale section a while ago. He certainly looks more than competent, that said I won't being anywhere near Nazare on an 11 footer.

Dori, I don't know if I'm the Matt you know.? Any clues.?
Chinaman

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design