New travel board in two pieces - anyone have any info?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

New travel board in two pieces - anyone have any info?

Postby cman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:33 am

Hi all, just wondered if anyone has any info or experience of the travel boards made by this company:

http://thecarboncompact.com/

It would tick a lot of boxes for me in terms of long board travel but I haven't seen or heard a lot of reviews on them just wondered if any of you have. I have been emailing the guy who makes them and I think in the USA he has sold a lot and they have quite a positive feedback about them. If anyone could throw any info or light on them that would be great

Cheers
cman

Re: New travel board in two pieces - anyone have any info?

Postby thechimp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 am

Ahh the old chestnut, not seen this latest setup but very similar to others like Imagine and a German company, any prices?, will be expensive unless picking up from NY.
The Pope Bisects i had flexed too much, this looks better if you can get the bolts really tight, loads of stories of the tube coming through the deck on duck diving.
Quite easy to do yourself, have a look at the parts from NST, 140 bucks for the clamps and tube, you can get very similar in a Boat chandlers, someone in NE UK were the UK agent for Northshore Travelboards.

http://www.northshoretravelboards.com/c ... cessories/
thechimp

Postby cman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 am

Funnily enough, they are struggling with the postage, latest quote was $1600!!!!

I'm really in two minds, the carbon compact seems to me to be the best one out there at the moment, obviously read all the stories about the pope issues back in the day. Problem is, they are so new that there doesn't appear to be any second hand ones kicking about and I don't want to pull the pin on a brand new one in case its rubbish......and the thought of $1600 just for the postage is not really that appealing either!! :shock:

When you say "easy to do yourself" do you mean literally get an old longboard, cut it in half and fit the bits? I would have thought that the carbon tube would have to sit in a moulded sleeve otherwise it would just be the foam supporting the tube???? Apologies though if I've missed the obvious?
cman

Postby thechimp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:38 am

yep 1600 bucks is way too much for shipping, as for the DIY, the Pope Bisect only has one tube its plastic and has a screw top, so if the board feels too light you can fill the tube with water. When i had an 8' Bisect i was contemplating whether to cut a 7'10 Surftech Mccoy in half as the Bob Miller Bisect was too thin and did'nt paddle that well.
The tube fitted exactly into a UK waste sized plastic pipe. I was going to saw the Surftech in half, drill the hole for the sleeve/liner and insert with epoxy resin, The flat ends of both halfs can be glassed and the little lugs can easily be made to stop the board twisting. Small pieces of ply can be glassed into cutouts to take the screws for the clamps. I found near identical clamps in a Yacht chandlers in Plymouth. As things worked out i did'nt get round to it, just kept one board in UK and one in Oz.
I still think its a great idea, but limited to smaller surf, but saying that there is a youtube of Wayne Rich riding one in double overhead surf, i surfed a spot in Antalya, Turkey which was great and not another surfer for miles, best of luck mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-p7uXsmEU
thechimp

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design