McCoy Nuggets

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

McCoy Nuggets

Postby Alwayzthekook » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:09 am

Following a thread on A1.....

I've been intruiged by them for a while, but have yet to have a go on one - has anyone on here been on them/know much about them??
The 5'2 Stumpy 'looks' like it would be a right larf!
Alwayzthekook

Postby lostboy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:51 am

I used to have a McCoy nugget - it was great fun. Oh the joys of the 'loaded dome'!

Wish I still had it, it would catch any waves and go in all sorts of conditions. It was lightning fast too. Not so hot on tight cutbacks though...
Kill. Destroy. Plunder.
lostboy

Re: McCoy Nuggets

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:49 pm

Creak, thunk..... Raaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr.........! (Noise of the thread being dragged back from the dead!)

I've been watching a bit of Stylemasters 2 on and off recently and it's rejuvenated my interest in Geoff McCoy's designs, namely the Lazor Zap and more recently, the variations on his Nugget design.

Horan is most famous for 'coming second' but I always thought it was pretty unfair as he was (and still is) an absolute ripper IMO. Whether he was hindered or helped by the radical wide-tailed designs that Geoff McCoy has focussed on for a good portion of his shaping career is still up in the air. However, there's no doubt he surfs well on such boards.

I had this little puppy a couple of years back, a 5'10" 'Potbelly' with a thruster setup:

I did have a couple of good surfs on it, but I can't help but feel that I didn't really give it enough time before I had to sell it.

Does anyone else surf one? What do people think of them?
Archy_is_God

Postby mal-nourished » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:15 pm

cheyne horan along with tom carroll were in my opinion the best two young surfers of there era produced in the nsw area ..cheyne was a product of the bondi-bronte area of southside sydney and was a protege of one of the best surfers around that area bruce raymond who later died in a car crash at a fairly young age..[rip]... :cry: his biggest mistake was probably getting involved with the bronzed aussies [ ian cairns and pete townsend..] ...he went a bit off the wall and reclusive after his comp career...but he wasnt afraid to be different where equipment was concerned and the mccoy boards owe a lot to that as said they might not be the best competition boards but nothing wrong with the designs and myself had a copy of a cheyne horan board in late 80s and had it in all sort of waves in indo and australia... 8)
mal-nourished

Postby baysurfscarborough » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:55 pm

I learnt to surf in Byron on 6,2" Nugget they are a great board, i came home and a couple of years later i went back to OZ and got married in Byron, i called geoff Mccoy and he shaped me a new 6,2" for when i arrived, he was super cool and he even brought the board round to where i was staying for me and we had a good natter, i still have both boards on the roof of my shop, i was only looking at them the other day and thinking i should wax one up for summer as they are great in sloppy weak waves, just a bit of a handfull to duckdive in heavy waves, AAhhh happy days in OZ with the nugget wish i was there now 8)
baysurfscarborough

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Sweet! Cool little story... you should wax it up!

Did you get a single or tri? What are the dims? Did Geoff suggest a 6'2" for your size? Any pics? :-D
Archy_is_God

Postby mal-nourished » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm

the board i had was a single fin and i got a large finbox placed on it and found by sliding the fin into different positions it worked in a lot of varying conditions even though it wasnt the real mccoy [ no pun] the shaper took a template of my mates mccoy rode it for 4yrs and gave it to one of the local kids in bali for a wooden horse...it was and still is the shortest i ever went at 5ft 10 but was a sweet board even in larger surf i just stuck a big fin when taking it out in bigger stuff....dont know if anyone remembers LITE-MOVES based at portreath but thats where i had it shaped... 8)
mal-nourished

Postby sidneysnake » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:49 am

a good mate of mine has a 7'0" nugget and absolutely raves about it.
** Banthamsurfcam.com ** New Surf Photo Book - Atlantic Surfers ** Buy my stuff!**

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Never take anyone's opinion as fact.
sidneysnake

Postby Alwayzthekook » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:54 pm

I used to see on or two of the old boys surf Lennox on them, on chunky enough days too. They'd cruise into the waves effortlessly - basically be able to get any wave they wanted.
For all I know, it was mostly probably Geoff I kept seeing :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32513360@N06/sets/
Alwayzthekook

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:12 pm

Interesting... How did they seem to go? You ever get to surf one ATK?

Loads of people seem to love them, but I think it takes a certain change in surfing style from what I have been reading on Swaylocks. All about the back foot!

I'm definitely intrigued though.. particularly by the apparent range, versatility and good build. Mine was finished as good as any Takayama that I have seen.
Archy_is_God

Postby kanie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Alwayzthekook wrote:I used to see on or two of the old boys surf Lennox on them, on chunky enough days too. They'd cruise into the waves effortlessly - basically be able to get any wave they wanted.
For all I know, it was mostly probably Geoff I kept seeing :)

What did they go/turn like? I was thinking of trading my twin in or old boards in and have thought about these boards or maybe the Anderson Mollusc. Just wanted something for a older ian-lander to get a few more waves on but still have a shortboard thruster feel.
kanie

Re: McCoy Nuggets pics and sizes

Postby baysurfscarborough » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:56 am

Hi Again,
Here are some pics of my 2 bad boy mccoys--
The blue one is 6,2" x 20 1/4 x 2 7/8, its the one geoff shaped for me and is now going to be waxed up after about 3 years hanging from the roof!
The other one is pretty much the same sizes, its shaped by darren rodgers whos was geoffs understudy, i bought it second hand in byron in 2000, i met rodgers when i dropped in on his girlfreind, he came over to fill me in when he saw his old board, he was chuffed to see it still going and told me his girlfreind designed the colours based on the rastafarian colours.
The rasta board has seen loads of action and is covered in repairs and has had thr fins reglassed on plenty of times s that one can stay on the wall, the blue fella is still in ace condition.
The other board os a single fin pipedream 5,10" circa 1979-1980 shaped by murray bourton, i emailed him pics of it and he remembers shaping these boards and again he was chuffed to see it still going, in fact its in bloody good condition, i have never ever waxed it up (i know at total waste) but im waiting for that perfect day (been waiting 6 years so far!)
There you have it, my australian board story collection! :o
Attachments
DSC00084.JPG
DSC00084.JPG (102.06 KiB) Viewed 7772 times
DSC00083.JPG
DSC00083.JPG (126.4 KiB) Viewed 7767 times
DSC00082.JPG
DSC00082.JPG (87.77 KiB) Viewed 7762 times
baysurfscarborough

Re: McCoy Nuggets pics

Postby baysurfscarborough » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:58 am

more pics
Attachments
DSC00087.JPG
DSC00087.JPG (114.52 KiB) Viewed 7759 times
DSC00086.JPG
DSC00086.JPG (88.63 KiB) Viewed 7748 times
DSC00085.JPG
DSC00085.JPG (96.53 KiB) Viewed 7747 times
baysurfscarborough

Re: McCoy Nuggets pics and sizes

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:36 am

baysurfscarborough wrote:Hi Again,
Here are some pics of my 2 bad boy mccoys--
The blue one is 6,2" x 20 1/4 x 2 7/8, its the one geoff shaped for me and is now going to be waxed up after about 3 years hanging from the roof!
The other one is pretty much the same sizes, its shaped by darren rodgers whos was geoffs understudy, i bought it second hand in byron in 2000, i met rodgers when i dropped in on his girlfreind, he came over to fill me in when he saw his old board, he was chuffed to see it still going and told me his girlfreind designed the colours based on the rastafarian colours.
The rasta board has seen loads of action and is covered in repairs and has had thr fins reglassed on plenty of times s that one can stay on the wall, the blue fella is still in ace condition.
The other board os a single fin pipedream 5,10" circa 1979-1980 shaped by murray bourton, i emailed him pics of it and he remembers shaping these boards and again he was chuffed to see it still going, in fact its in bloody good condition, i have never ever waxed it up (i know at total waste) but im waiting for that perfect day (been waiting 6 years so far!)
There you have it, my australian board story collection! :o

Nice looking boards! What other gems have you got up there??? :-D

Can I ask how Geoff decided on that size for you? How tall/heavy are you? Did you order it as an all-round stick or for smaller surf?

Any tips on getting the most out of them? I found the Potbelly a little hard to control in topturns sometimes, particularly if the fins were free... I think I may not have had my foot placement right though :idea:
Archy_is_God

Postby kirk » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:39 pm

I'm a fan too- here's mine-6'4" x 20 and probably 3" thick single fin, shaped by Ricky Carroll- really excellent board and I've used it with both the starfin and a spitfire keel. I got it from Noel at Revolution Surfer who's been doing boards for Cheyne here in the US for a while, he has Ricky and Steve Forstall doing the shaping. Seriously happy with this board which is why it's in the regular use quiver. I found the starfin to be better in smaller stuff but it feels a bit draggy in over chest to head waves and the spitfire seems to be better all round. I do like the feel when the starfin is doing what it should, the tail feels all smooth and loose as the lift kicks in, and both fins hold in incredibly well. Between this board and the Lynch double bump single I've got as a loaner I'm so fully stoked on modern single fins it isn't funny. I hear the kids are doing some interesting stuff with 3 fins though- maybe I should try that out. Noel has a site at http://www.revolutionsurfer.com that's worth checking out for Horan/McCoy related goodies. Baysurf, I can't believe that blue McCoy is unwaxed- you have waaaay more patience than I could manage. It's a beautiful looking board and from the hands of the man himself- very cool indeed.
my horan.jpg
my horan.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 7631 times
kirk

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Hey Kirk - I spotted that one on Noel's site, very nice.. I like that narrower nose :-D

Do you prefer it in certain surf? What kind of range will it cope with?
Archy_is_God

Postby baysurfscarborough » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Guys,
Im pleased to say the blue mccoy is waxed and ready for the next swell, this thread has inspired me to give her another go, i just found that when i got a new board (a webber afterburner) my surfing progressed loads, i could do sharper turns, surf faster, top turn harder etc and the most important is the duckdiving problem, the nugget is so floaty getting caught inside is a nightmare! I asked geoff to make me the same as my yellow board but slightly thicker/wider, at the time i was struggling with catching waves but still wanted a shortboard so this one did the trick, i am 5,11" and 12 1/2 stone and it floated me like a 7,6" Mal. I prefer the yellow board but its a bit fragile now so i will leave her to watch the world go by fro my wall.
baysurfscarborough

Postby Alwayzthekook » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Interesting... How did they seem to go? You ever get to surf one ATK?.

kanie wrote:What did they go/turn like? I.

I never got a go on one, but there was usually one out in anything above head. From what I saw, they were very cruisy. Whether it was the board, or because of the older rider, or the older rider and the board being perfect for each other - I don't know.
I never saw any energetic young rippers on them.

Having said that, younger guys wanting that more cruisy approach all seemed to ride the Beau Young wombats and the like. So it might be a generational thing, I dunno.

One thing is for sure, the nuggets cruised into waves way before the other boards.
Alwayzthekook

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Alwayzthekook wrote:I never got a go on one, but there was usually one out in anything above head. From what I saw, they were very cruisy. Whether it was the board, or because of the older rider, or the older rider and the board being perfect for each other - I don't know.
I never saw any energetic young rippers on them.

Having said that, younger guys wanting that more cruisy approach all seemed to ride the Beau Young wombats and the like. So it might be a generational thing, I dunno.

One thing is for sure, the nuggets cruised into waves way before the other boards.

Well that's confirmed it... I'm definitely getting older then!

I wondered why I was getting drawn to them again :lol:

Saying that, I think Shane Herring rode the really stubby versions for a few years and absolutely ripped on them...

Edit: That's it! I'm not getting old - I just want to surf like Herro!! :P
Archy_is_God

Postby royal » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:30 pm

this is a little off topic, but I love the wider tailed board like these. I had one - a knock up from Fox in Florida back in the early 80s :shock: :roll: getting old...

Loved it in the fat, but dumpy waves is south Florida for what you guys have said above - early in, and down the line speed. I still find inspiration in those, and that's what got me into pulling the nose in on fish, to a degree.

Would love to have one as a quad...
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby kirk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Archy,
the board is great- plenty of float (if anything I wouldn't mind it being a quarter inch thinner all over per the duckdive situation mentioned!) and feels really solid in turns. I've surfed it in all sorts of waves from waist to over head high, and to be honest I think I'd back down on what it could be ridden in before the board would, especially given I've spent the last couple of years on smaller wide tailed boards in all sorts of conditions. Best day I had on it was probably chest high, pretty thumping beach break with crossed up swell directions giving me nice open faces- it handled the sketchiest drops (I'm good at setting those up) and was really fast and responsive- it lights up with a bit more juice and I found I could lay into turns pretty hard without that slidey single fin feeling (I had the spitfire in). I've also seen Kidman riding the board in a barely waist high wave and wacking some beautiful turns that I wish I could do in any wave. Like I say it's one of my favourite go-to boards without a doubt. I think the fin is pretty key though, especially with the single. I should try it with a more normal fin one of these days.
Rob,
Quad seems like it'd work really nicely and I believe they made some spitfire quad sets which I'd love to try sometime. Is your computer situation more functional? I have some photos to send!
kirk

Postby royal » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:25 am

kirk wrote: Is your computer situation more functional? I have some photos to send!

yeah, finally got reliable internet again. still need to get those ts as well.

Been lurking on your blog, and maybe you're not getting great surf, but the stoke level seems through the roof!
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby rodent » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:02 am

Wouldn't touch them

Its a surftech thing
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:39 am

Just to clarify - this thread is concerning the customs by Geoff, not Tuflites.....

Would you turn down a custom Brewer just because Surftech make a couple of his models? :roll:
Archy_is_God

Postby rodent » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:01 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Just to clarify - this thread is concerning the customs by Geoff, not Tuflites.....

Would you turn down a custom Brewer just because Surftech make a couple of his models? :roll:

Quite Happily
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Chai Wallah » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:41 pm

So following that logic, you can not get a custom pu board from any of these shapers as well then

Bear
BeachBeat
Becker
Bill Hamilton
BlackTip
Bushman
Byrne
Channel Islands
Channin
David Nuuhiwa
Dick Brewer
Gordon & Smith
Harbour
Hawaiian Pro Designs
Hobie
Infinity
Jacobs
JC Hawaii
Joel Tudor
Johnny Rice
Mark Richards
Matt Kechele
McCoy
McTavish
Mickey Munoz
No Brand
Orion
Pearson Arrow
Phenom
Robert August
Roxy
Rusty
Sequence
Skeg Island
Strech
Surfboards by Velzy
T. Patterson
The Greek
Tolhurst
Town & Country Hawaii
Wayne Dean
Wayne Lynch
Webber
Xanadu Surf Designs
Chai Wallah

Postby rodent » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:09 pm

I've a simple philosophy :shock:

If I don't agree with Surftech and there type than I won't support the shapers that supply them :-)

At the mo I've a couple of boards from Mandala, Matt Calvani, Barland, Scott Anderson, Klimax and one coming a local shaper :-D :-D :-D
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Chai Wallah » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:55 pm

fair play
Chai Wallah

Postby Alwayzthekook » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:34 pm

rodent wrote:...I don't agree with Surftech

Why?
(I'm not debating you - not yet anyway :lol: )
Alwayzthekook

Postby rodent » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:04 pm

For one they hate chop, living in Ireland that makes them next to useless :lol:

As for why I disagree with them :shock:

Call me a traditionalist...

I love the idea of someone shaping a board for me and not one popping out of a machine...

Also how the hell can shapers compete with an industry that mass produce boards with ease and spends a small fortune advertising them :shock:

Take Footprints Surfing Europe for example...

Every area/break... has a recommanded surftech board for it, how can a local shaper compete with that

Look how cheap they now are, that has to make things really hard for local shapers

So when a shaper gives over his shapes for mass production, I can't help but feel he is cashing in and in he's own way killing the industry for those around him.

:-(
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design