McCoy Nuggets

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: McCoy Nuggets

Postby dixie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:36 am

my 6'4 x 21 x 2 7/8 allround nugget nowon msw for sales
dixie

Postby cproctor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:42 am

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/castle-c ... 1003402136

A removable fin , quad mccoy ...... i never thought such a thing existed! :shock:
cproctor

Postby Cuttlefish » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:15 pm

The dreamtime planshape is noice!
If he starts marketing quads he may be snowed under with orders.
Cuttlefish

Postby wurfysurfy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 am

Nuggets go a lot better as a Quad, so much faster than the 3 fins and MILES ahead of the singles

Grind yr back fin off and add 3 sets of plugs, my placement is 1500 from tail....leading edge 925 from rail...trailing edge 540 from rail

leave the front fins where they are

ALSO, anyone wanting customs 1 or 3 fins(he wont do 4) had better get ready to wait.Geoff has halved his production from 2 to 1 a day

that dreamtime model would have had a single glassed on i'd guess as its a 70s design, but perhaps it was a thruster .....then the owner had them removed and the future boxes inserted.....
wurfysurfy

Postby glamarama » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 pm

never seen a dreamtime single before. only a few around and all i have seen are thrusters. i have a 6'9 DT thruster. doesnt get much use though. not its fault its just a too big for me. it is fun though.
glamarama

Postby MrMik » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:56 am

Hi, I'm new here and have a few questions. I've read most of the thread, my apologies if these questions have been discussed and I missed it.

Regarding Nuggets shaped under Geoff McCoy's supervision:
How well do the McCoy Nuggets that were shaped by shapers other than Geoff McCoy perform? I read somewhere that Geoff said he cannot find anyone else that can shape the "Loaded Dome" properly. Does that mean that those boards shaped by Darren Rogers do not surf quite as well?
Have any of you compared such boards to boards shaped by Geoff personally?
There is one of them on offer on evilbay at the moment: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140803388581 ... 1423.l2649

How many different shapers have been shaping McCoy boards (Nuggets and others, working for Geoff) over the years? Is Geoff employing a shaper at the moment, or are all the new boards shaped by Geoff personally these days?

Regarding "McCopy boards" (with that I mean a board shaped by anyone trying their best to copy a McCoy board, except for the logos):
Has anyone (who is familiar with the performance of a "real McCoy") found a "McCopy" board that has a similarly magic feel to that of a real McCoy?

Cheers, Mik
MrMik

Postby MrMik » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 pm

I found the page:
http://www.bytimbaker.com/recent_works/ ... y-profile/

“It took five years to learn how to shape the dome. I’ve got this challenge. I’ll give anyone a hundred grand who can shape a nugget. I’ve had more than one person try to shape them but in the end I get frustrated. They can’t do it. I just go, I’ll do it myself. It took me five years to learn how to put the dome in, because I came out of straight flats and edges and I got into this curve, rolls, domes, and I didn’t know much about it. In the beginning people wrote it off.”
MrMik

Postby kayu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:56 am

.....fine tuning and tweeking a shape will always vary ,to some degree, from one shaper to another.......even with machined pre-shapes.....thats where the magic is.
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby glamarama » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:35 am

true

but i reckon you would also have to be one very fine tuned surfer to pick up on the difference between the two similar boards beyond a difference that any two boards inherently have even when shaped by the same guy. then it becomes is it the different shaper or just that they are two different boards?
glamarama

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 am

Some people prefer Darren's and Greg's to Geoff's.

Personally, I would like to ride one of Matt Calvani's Piglets to see how that went. He's making some great boards at the moment.
Archy_is_God

Postby wurfysurfy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:56 am

Mik,
Regarding your questions,the Rogers shaped boards go very well.Ive had 3(6/6...6/10....7/2)the 6/10 was the best because its volume suited my weight better.I can comment on the Surftechs, they go well too.
Geoff has made me 5 customs over the years, the 7/1 being the best(wish i still had it).After he made that one i had him make a similar 6/8 and it was good but didnt have the magic of the 7/1 & i'd rate the 6/10 Rogers as a much better board.However, its all personal, so what goes well for me may not be someone else's feel of a good board.
Mccoys have been procuded in 4 locations to my knowledge.Brookie, Avoca, Coffs and currently at Byron.The first 2 locations had a few different shapers like Col Smith(brookie) Skip(avoca) Tony Wright (avoca i think?)At Coffs Geoff was one out and at Byron, he had Rogers working with him for a number of years.
In recent years, its only been Geoff but theres also the Surftech copies of which ive owned 2x7/0s and a 7/6.the asian boards are light and fun in weak waves but when the swell gets thick i'm on the Reals.
As for the 6/6 on ebay right now, its a "nugget gun".narower nose/ tail/middle dimensions.My first custom was 7/0x20x3...12.5 nose with a 15 tail.it flew as a thruster but was mediocre as a single(i added FCS side plugs).
I hope this info helps you...WS
wurfysurfy

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:21 am

Greg Pautsch has made them under license in Newport, California, for a long time as well
Archy_is_God

Postby MrMik » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks Archy, Glamarama, Wurfysurfy and Kayu for your answers, much appreciated.

I think I'll try to grab a used McCoy board from any of those shapers if one presents itself at the right time...chances are that I would not be able to tell the difference if it were not for the sticker, just as long as they are all magic! :lol:

Here are some pics of my first magic nugget, 14 years old and still my favourite board:
Magicdeck.jpeg
Magicdeck.jpeg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Magicbottom.jpeg
Magicbottom.jpeg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 500 times

This was my first quiver in 1998, the Nugget was the latest addition.
Quiver 1998.jpg
Quiver 1998.jpg (71.93 KiB) Viewed 500 times

I started surfing in my late 20's on the big red thruster in the photo. At first I rented it for $20,- for a day in Byron Bay, then bought it for another $180.-
It had a lot of leaking cracks in the rails and required much duct-tape until I spent many hours patching up the dings. After 1-2 years of almost daily surfing on the red board, catching a wave was still a rare event for me. The logo says "Cattle Dog Trading Company Byron Bay". The label "Dog" would have sufficed... :evil:
I thought it was just my lack of talent and starting at almost 30 years of age, that stopped me from catching on to surfing....but this board is a dog and I never knew it. A few weeks ago I paddled out on it for the first time since about 15 years, and I STILL could not catch waves with it! HAHAHA! The local used board shop did not want to buy it at any price, so it went to a charity shop. Good riddance!

Whilst struggling with the red Dog, eventually I bought the Nigel Beckham Twin-fin longboard in about 1997- used but in good shape- from Nigels shop in Tugun. Great board, I finally started to catch waves and to learn surfing on it. I snapped it clean in half three times and had it put together three times, that's how the deck-grip artwork developed :oops: It's dead now, killed or lost by a friend whom I lent it to whilst I was travelling.

The "Platypus Model" in the photo might have been good, but I never warmed to it and never managed to catch good waves with it. I sold it a couple of years ago to make space. I did not even try it out again before selling it, because I don't get to surf very often and each session is valuable.

This is how I got the Nugget: One day in 1998 I was trying to find a spot that was surfable during a big cyclone swell. I checked every break I knew between the Gold Coast and Byron Bay, but all were closing out. Eventually I ended up in Geoff McCoys shop in Byron Bay and bought the Nugget (used but like new) off the shelf. 7'2'' x 21 1/2 ''x 3 1/8'', shaped by Geoff. The guy in the shop said it would be a good size for me (6'2'', 75kg, fit but poor surfer).
I waxed the Nugget up and drove back to the Gold Coast, again finding no surf-able spot while checking everywhere. When I got to Snapper Rocks, I decided to go for a paddle in the somewhat protected corner. No-one was catching waves out the back, but a few intrepid surfers were catching the reforms. It was chaotic, with head-high backwash waves coming from the beach, combining with the reformed waves in a weird way. There were some strange standing waves, it felt like they were throwing you up into the air when they suddenly got you from behind :shock: :shock:
Somehow I managed not to drown and to get to where I could paddle into one of the head-high reforms. Right at the moment when it was too late to pull back from the wave (my most common manoeuvre :oops: ), another surfer popped out of the wave in front of me, right where I would have landed if I had messed up. So I had no choice but to keep going and hope for the best. To my great surprise, I made the drop and even managed to turn to avoid the other surfer. I am absolutely certain that I would not have made this wave on any of my other boards. This was entirely due to the "magic" Nugget.
All other boards that I have tried seem to want to get further away from the correct spot underneath my feet whenever I put my feet in the wrong places (I do that a lot :lol: ). On other boards this usually results in an instant wipe-out. But not so on the Nugget. If I land off-centre on the Nugget, then it tends to immediately move itself to underneath my centre of gravity, so that I can recover and gain (some) control. It comes towards my centre of gravity instead of shooting off away from me like other boards. I have sometimes landed on just one foot, or (really bad!) with one or both knees on the tail-pad - but still recovered to ride the wave! :mrgreen:
MrMik

Postby MrMik » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Some more views of my magic Nugget:

Front.jpg
Front.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 500 times

Rocker.jpg
Rocker.jpg (65.33 KiB) Viewed 500 times

Rear.jpg
Rear.jpg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 500 times
MrMik

Postby wurfysurfy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:56 am

http://www.swellnet.com.au/forums/5/topics/1081

some interesting observations here :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Haha! When singlemindedness morphs into arrogance... I mean - how dare the minions modify their own equipment! :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby elhornet » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:48 pm

I've never seen anyone actually surfing well on one of these. No footage on youtube either. What gives?
elhornet

Postby Black » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:22 pm

elhornet wrote:I've never seen anyone actually surfing well on one of these. No footage on youtube either. What gives?

I asked the same thing earlier in this thread. I think there are two videos on the whole net!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Bearded Gimp » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:51 pm

It certainly is a strange one. There are a few decent photos here and there, like on this guy's blog (he posts as Tombstone on Swaylocks):

Mccoy dreamtime http://lyttlestreet.wordpress.com/2012/ ... 64x20x234/
6'7 allround http://lyttlestreet.wordpress.com/2012/ ... 7x20x2-78/
latest gen zap http://lyttlestreet.wordpress.com/2011/ ... ps-are-go/

Also, one of mccoy's team riders, Neil Cameron, was in the Aussie team that won the world amateurs in 2010 (think he was Aussie over 45s champ that year as well), so clearly there are some people riding them very well.
Bearded Gimp

Postby Leven » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Some of the Nuggets seem like nothing boards to me, almost like minimals....which is why you don't seem to see people riding them well I think. A lot of them seem to be neither short nor long, and just kind of "in between" shapes if that makes sense.

Controversial I know, but there you go! That said, I surfed an Al Merrick POD the other day, and it was an absolute dog. Another fat board, with very little design thought gone in to it in my opinion!
Leven

Postby Bearded Gimp » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:03 pm

I think that with people not going well on the mid-lengths, it's often more the rider than the board.

This is Ian Brown (mccoy team rider) on the 7'0 surftech Image.

Seems to be doing OK
Bearded Gimp

Postby wurfysurfy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 am

nuggets can be ridden well by good riders, and poorly by not so talented surfers.Mccoys whole design concept is to make a board for a wide range of conditions and the all rounder model covers weak waves and strong waves 1-8ft, which is the predominant size 90-95% of ridden waves.the all rounder is a board someone can learn on and a board that anyone can travel the world with and ride a vast majority of waves they encounter.
the limiting factor is the 3 glassed on fins and the boxed single.....this is an archaic option.the singles are a different sensation that suit a few, the thruster is a great design that benefits from the removal of the fins and the correct placement of thruster/quad boxes(futures) or plugs(fcs)
just my observations of owning 4 modified Mccoys,as well as 23 standard models over the last 16 years
wurfysurfy

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:01 am

That's a snap. Not bad for a 'mature' fella I reckon! Gives me hope... :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby Black » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:29 am

Yes, there were some nice pics in those links.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:13 am

I have an 8ft 2 nug thruster - love the board especially when it's clean and chest high....rock solid. I'm a crap surfer and the design helps me loads...inspires confidence and I have fun on it.
skimmer2

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:17 am

wurfysurfy wrote: just my observations of owning 4 modified Mccoys,as well as 23 standard models over the last 16 years

Shame Geoff's not interested in your feedback - sounds like you would have some good contributions to any discussion
Archy_is_God

Postby skimmer2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 am

Archy_is_God wrote:
wurfysurfy wrote: just my observations of owning 4 modified Mccoys,as well as 23 standard models over the last 16 years

Shame Geoff's not interested in your feedback - sounds like you would have some good contributions to any discussion

Geoff McCoy is not a happy bunny at folk messing with his design....in his view...if it worked better with a diff fin set up he would have done it by now..but it doesn't. Each to their own I suppose.
skimmer2

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 pm

That's the point; he appears to be closed to opening a dialogue with people who have found the boards work better for them as quads

'Designs to Free Your Mind', apparently... as long as you don't get too creative yourself and start doing silly things like modifying surfboards ;)
Archy_is_God

Postby batoes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Define "ripping"? Do you mean airs and 360s etc?
I think the vast majority of people "ripping" on big name boards comes from the shaper/brand sponsoring and creating clips with amazing surfers - it justifies their products and is a smart ploy. Without the pros ripping, no-one buys them. Geoff is probably in his late 60s and couldn't care less about justifying his product, or altering it for that matter. That's why you don't see clips of 'ripping' or young guys smashing airs on 3 inch thick boards. Not to mention the target market is really focused on intermediate surfers.

I've watched clips of Tyler Warren rip on a mini-simmons, haven't seen anyone else rip on them, or ride them for that matter at my local breaks. I'm the only one that has one and i don't rip. But i do shred, which is pretty darn close to ripping...

I will be taking my 5'11 nugget to Tahiti in October - i'll post some footage of the board in action, with some shredding 8)

Plenty of pics here of good surfing on mccoys: http://nestorbatlle.blogspot.com.au/

Would love Geoff to make a quad - quads are unreal.
batoes

Postby nawgy1979 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi All,
On a slightly different subject; does anyone know the rough volumes of Geoff's boards ?
I have asked him and he said he doesnt know or concern himself that much with the volumes. The reason that I ask is that I have a 6'8 Zot and a 6'6 Nugget and roughly calculate them as c. 50 litres which I thought seems quite high when compared to similair sized dimensions of other boards with their volumes stated. Anyway, it would help me in deciding the best size for me for the future.

Cheers, N
nawgy1979

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design