McCoy Nuggets

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: McCoy Nuggets

Postby Cuttlefish » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Excuse the personal question Archy but are you married?
If so did you get caught fondling your new zot by your wife? :oops:
Anyways what a shame.
Snap it up someone.
They are fun with a capital F!
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Well, you are pretty much spot-on.... :lol:

I knew that unless I shifted some other stuff for the right price then I would struggle to keep hold of it. The swell actually cooperated this week, but it seems a shame to surf a board I know I have to say goodbye to; I may love it and that would make it twice as hard!

They are significantly different in foil and plan shape to a AR nugget, or even a potbelly. Intriguing!
Archy_is_God

Postby skimmer2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Amazing - not been on the forum for a good long while and still plenty to talk about on Geoff McCoy's boards....still have my 8ft 2 nugget - cleaned her up the other day...what a board. I've virtually sold all my surfboards for surf SUPs.... but not this one.
skimmer2

Postby nawgy1979 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:15 pm

I'm gutted as I would snap it up but spent too much on my honeymoon last week !!
nawgy1979

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Congratulations!
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:56 am

nawgy1979 wrote:I'm gutted as I would snap it up but spent too much on my honeymoon last week !!

Much better depositing at the sperm bank.
Get paid for that one!
:lol:
Congratulations!
Cuttlefish

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Well, you are pretty much spot-on.... :lol:

I knew that unless I shifted some other stuff for the right price then I would struggle to keep hold of it. The swell actually cooperated this week, but it seems a shame to surf a board I know I have to say goodbye to; I may love it and that would make it twice as hard!

They are significantly different in foil and plan shape to a AR nugget, or even a potbelly. Intriguing!

Go on....surf it!
Otherwise you'll always be wondering?
Tell your wife you've been a bad boy but surfing is such a healthy pursuit.
Much better than spending your money on gambling, alcohol, drugs and hookers!
Lucky for her you're a bad boy but it's not a hooker giving you a spanking! :wink:
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 am

:lol: guess that's one way of looking at it....

Back to the usual summer shoulderhigh onshore stuff this week, so I'm not mega keen on riding it. Although, if it does go well in such surf, it would be a keeper I reckon.

We'll see!
Archy_is_God

Postby nawgy1979 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:51 am

Thanks guys.
nawgy1979

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 am

Get over here fast Arch.
The points are lighting up like a Christmas tree this week.
Yeeeew! :P
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:23 am

As you know, I was actually going to sell the 5'10 zot that I recently picked up as I couldn't really afford to buy it in the first place, but I've subsequently given in to temptation and rode it for half an hour in some waisthigh beachbreak summertime mush....

That McCoy smoothness is there, for sure, and it rolls into waves like a knob of butter onto a hot skillet. It doesn't have the squirt that you have from a concave board, but it feels exceptionally free from any set line and while you wait for a section to steepen up in front of you so you can lay into a turn (which it needs), it's happy to sit in the pocket and let all that foam support you. It is significantly less hard work to keep going than my old 6ft single nug in similar conditions, but it's also a lot wider...

It's a relaxed, cruisy kind of feel, interspersed with the ability to hook into tight loops. It's a fun board, and what more do most people really want?
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Archy_is_God

Postby Chris F » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:As it rolls into waves like a knob of butter onto a hot skillet. It doesn't have the squirt that you have from a concave board, but it feels exceptionally free from any set line and while you wait for a section to steepen up in front of you so you can lay into a turn (which it needs), it's happy to sit in the pocket and let all that foam support you. It is significantly less hard work to keep going than my old 6ft single nug in similar conditions, but it's also a lot wider...

It's a relaxed, cruisy kind of feel, interspersed with the ability to hook into tight loops. It's a fun board, and what more do most people really want?

Do you do wine tasting? :lol:
Chris F

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Yes! Right now, in fact 8)
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:19 pm

The ocean has gone to sleep now.
Its normal in our winters but happened late this year.
So no zot riding for a while maybe.
Itching to get a star fin and try that in the zot.
Had a very good run of swell so can't complain.
The crowds however were at an all time high. :roll:
What you said about the zot echoes my findings.
It's got a place in my quiver.
Cuttlefish

Postby MrMik » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:The ocean has gone to sleep now.
Its normal in our winters but happened late this year.
So no zot riding for a while maybe.
Itching to get a star fin and try that in the zot.
Had a very good run of swell so can't complain.
The crowds however were at an all time high. :roll:
What you said about the zot echoes my findings.
It's got a place in my quiver.

I had some trouble with the gullwing fin and the ridiculous crowding: The fin gets caught on other people's legropes and this puts a very sudden and unceremonious end to my ride... :lol:
I guess the star fin would have similar issues.

What fin with a more normal angle could be used in a Zot when it is so crowded that running over other people's legropes becomes unavoidable?
MrMik

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:46 am

Try this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290959481977? ... _64wt_1170

Burnsie has used it in a Zot - tap him up to see how it goes. Looks freaky, but it's not the most expensive experiment to undertake... I may try it myself at some point.
Archy_is_God

Postby MrMik » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:57 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Try this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290959481977? ... _64wt_1170

Burnsie has used it in a Zot - tap him up to see how it goes. Looks freaky, but it's not the most expensive experiment to undertake... I may try it myself at some point.

I even have one of them already.. :mrgreen: It won't come any cheaper than that!

Bought it to try out the snap-in feature and to maybe cannibalise it into another fin, because these are so cheap. Thinking of it, it is the fin with the flattest angle that I have seen and is the least likely to catch on anything. I put it into the Zot a few times when the kids were surfing it and I needed the gullwing fin in the longboard. It's nice because it is very shallow and less likely to rip the fin box out when hitting a sandbank. It worked well in an 8' Meyerhoffer as single fin, but I have not tried it out in the Zot myself. I shall give it a go.
MrMik

Postby wurfysurfy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:13 am

mik,i tried it in my zot(6/8x22x3and1/8) that's now moved on

my observations are its different,but not the answer.over on swaylocks theres a thread about inline fin set ups.

ive been experimenting in my 9/1 and 8/1 single mCoys and found a very satisfying combo with the 7inch clip in from SurfStich...set at the front of the box....followed by the multifins 3.5(screw and plate)

the effect it has is it keeps the board loose but provides nice drive.....I tried the GF with the MF and it works well too but the dolphin is better

now I only ride these boards in pretty weak waves, so I cant comment about them in power surf because I ride my smaller nuggets that are multi finned

if u have a small fin to fit in behind yr GF....give it a go & see how it feels :
wurfysurfy

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Rode the Zot in more interesting waves recently and I have been getting out of sea grinning each time...

Like Cuttlefish mentioned, you need to set everything up with nice bottom turn, then it's Go Time :lol:

You can come pretty square off the bottom with nothing apparently fighting against you and have a ton of options up in the lip or top-turning. It's pretty much the loosest board I've ridden off the top, I reckon...

I don't think I'm surfing any more 'radically' (if I ever did at any point anyway!) but I like the feeling; it's an addictive little board....

I find it natural to surf backside, unlike my old 6ft single Nugget, and it has way more carry through flat spots and in clearing sections. Saying that, it is not a board for really flat-faced waves; it likes a little bit of something to push against.

Yeah, it's a fun little stick... Stoked!
Archy_is_God

Postby MrMik » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:56 pm

wurfysurfy wrote:mik,i tried it in my zot(6/8x22x3and1/8) that's now moved on

my observations are its different,but not the answer.over on swaylocks theres a thread about inline fin set ups.

ive been experimenting in my 9/1 and 8/1 single mCoys and found a very satisfying combo with the 7inch clip in from SurfStich...set at the front of the box....followed by the multifins 3.5(screw and plate)

the effect it has is it keeps the board loose but provides nice drive.....I tried the GF with the MF and it works well too but the dolphin is better

now I only ride these boards in pretty weak waves, so I cant comment about them in power surf because I ride my smaller nuggets that are multi finned

if u have a small fin to fit in behind yr GF....give it a go & see how it feels :

Interesting ideas there, thanks! And most interesting threads on Swaylocks,

I played around with the fins that I have for a half hour yesterday, nothing fits except that I could fit a small 3'' fin in front (or behind of) of the gullwing-fin. I found the 7'' fluoro Surfstitch fin here: http://www.surfstitch.com/product/fcs-d ... -fin-fluro and I can see why that would fit into the fin box together with a small fins: The base is shorter because there are no protrusions on either end. I have a 7'' and a 12'' dolphin fin with screw and plate and their bases are too long to fit in the box with another fin. I ordered one to try it out.

Placing a small fin behind the gullwing fin would not achieve my purpose: I have no complaints at all about the looseness or the drive of the gullwing fin. My problem is that the gullwing fin works like a grappling hook on the leg ropes trailing behind those surfers that are scrambling for the shoulder while I zip past. I'm looking for a fin that will not catch on the leg ropes but that will still work as well as the gullwing fin.

It's interesting comparing surface areas of the various fins. The gullwing fin is huge, with a surface area much larger than a 12'' dolphin fin.
Gullwing fin.jpeg
Gullwing fin.jpeg (10.46 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

The surface area is similar to the Body Glove fin.
Body Glove Fin.jpg
Body Glove Fin.jpg (6.84 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

However, the distribution of the surface area is totally opposite to most fins: Most of it is in the tip area far away from the bottom of the board, while the base area is very small. Amazing that it works at all, considering how different it is from standard fins.

The body glove fin is also very different from standard fins and would be the least likely to catch on legropes. I'll just have to try it out when there are some waves again. It's practically dead flat here at the moment.
MrMik

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:34 pm

The other thing about the Body glove fin is the shorter height which may not give enough hold when the board is on rail.
Surfing early McCoy lazor zap single back in the past with a std dolphin fin (pre-star fin days) revealed the lack of hold in a standard dolphin fin when combined with a wide tailed board when doing hard turns on rail.
It is also very flexible and so may not give enough drive in decent waves.
Could work best in 1-2' zippering tubes where you're just pulling in and going pretty much straight.
Cuttlefish

Postby robmcn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Sorry if this has been answered before but im intrigued by mccoy surfboards and was wandering which mccoy design would be best to get if you've never surfed one before, a zot or nugget?
robmcn

Postby wurfysurfy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:40 pm

good question, and it depends whether u like low reaction single fins(zot) or a more normal reaction design(3 fins).THEN theres the derivatives of the 3 finned nuggets as well to consider.

the all rounder will ride most waves, knee high to double overhead.....so that's probably a logical place to start imo.

AND, all mCoys are available as singles as opposed to the ZOT which only comes out of the factory as a single but many have been modified to increase performance.
wurfysurfy

Postby wurfysurfy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:44 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TEAM-BODYG ... AQ:US:1123

a 9 deep with 5.75 base......ill give a ride report when ive tested the one ive got on its way
wurfysurfy

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:59 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Rode the Zot in more interesting waves recently and I have been getting out of sea grinning each time...

Like Cuttlefish mentioned, you need to set everything up with nice bottom turn, then it's Go Time :lol:

You can come pretty square off the bottom with nothing apparently fighting against you and have a ton of options up in the lip or top-turning. It's pretty much the loosest board I've ridden off the top, I reckon...

I don't think I'm surfing any more 'radically' (if I ever did at any point anyway!) but I like the feeling; it's an addictive little board....

I find it natural to surf backside, unlike my old 6ft single Nugget, and it has way more carry through flat spots and in clearing sections. Saying that, it is not a board for really flat-faced waves; it likes a little bit of something to push against.

Yeah, it's a fun little stick... Stoked!

Yep.
Mirrors my thoughts on the zot as well.
Love its looseness off the top and it surfs great on the backhand.
Cuttlefish

Postby MrMik » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:54 pm

wurfysurfy wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TEAM-BODYGLOVE-STAND-UP-PADDLE-BOARD-SURFBOARD-FIN-SIDEBYTE-FCS-FUTURE-FIN-/290963964438?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

a 9 deep with 5.75 base......ill give a ride report when ive tested the one ive got on its way

Looking forward to your report - that looks like a potentially good find. I love the snap-in fins of any variety, so nice to experiment in the water without need for tools.

I wonder if this Bodyglove fin is as soft and flexible as the other one shown earlier in this thread.
MrMik

Postby wurfysurfy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:23 am

Yes,Mik that will be interesting. I think the first fin is better suited to a SUP(only use mine on flat water or when its too small for a 9/0) but this new one is a classic noseriding fin.Well that's what I got it for. :-D
wurfysurfy

Postby wurfysurfy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:01 am

New fins arrived in todays mail, so test time tomorrow....its got a similar amount of play as the other BG fin, so I double a shopping bag over(plastic) and use that to take the play out.So,no changing position during a surf session will just ride a fixed position & if I need to change it will go back to car for 15mins and move it. :-D
wurfysurfy

Postby MrMik » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:23 pm

wurfysurfy wrote:New fins arrived in todays mail, so test time tomorrow....its got a similar amount of play as the other BG fin, so I double a shopping bag over(plastic) and use that to take the play out.So,no changing position during a surf session will just ride a fixed position & if I need to change it will go back to car for 15mins and move it. :-D

I had forgotten the hassle I had with the BG fin to make it fit... :-(
In the end, adding shoe-sole repair goo between the ballbearings and on the underside (well, top side really) did the trick, but it's still not really firm.

The way to do it properly would be to drill holes and press in plastic dowels of the right length, like with the snap-in system that comes with the McCoy fins.
MrMik

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design