McCoy Nuggets

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: McCoy Nuggets

Postby kayu » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:30 am

wurfysurfy wrote:
Anybody can make their own wood McCoy copy...
....Yes , quite true ...... The hard part is to make the original , that everyone wants to copy.....and very few people achieve that distinction . There are leaders , then there are followers , and without leaders , the followers are lost.
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby wurfysurfy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:57 am

not hard Kayu, any shaper with experience with rolled bottoms could shape a foam nugget, if there was a donor board there to go off....its surfboard shaping not rocket science. :-D
wurfysurfy

Postby kayu » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:21 am

wurfysurfy wrote:not hard Kayu, any shaper with experience with rolled bottoms could shape a foam nugget, if there was a donor board there to go off....its surfboard shaping not rocket science. :-D
We agree then Wurfy.....there is a huge difference between designing and shaping.....most shaping these days is done by machines......and if you programme a machine to make a dog , it won't argue .
kayu

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:42 am

It would almost certainly come out wruff :lol: :oops:
Archy_is_God

Postby MrMik » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:55 am

Archy_is_God wrote:It would almost certainly come out wruff :lol: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MrMik

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:32 am

Here's a link to a thread on the Surfboard agency XF epoxy McCoy nuggets.
My impressions are on page 2.
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =9&t=27850
Cuttlefish

Postby wurfysurfy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:42 am

Yes CF, I'm of the same opinion....these XFs make a big difference, the responsiveness is great....the Polys will outshine them in real waves though(6+) and a strong offshore and lightweight don't go together.I'm ditching my 6/10 poly and replacing it with an XF
wurfysurfy

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:59 am

In my case I'll mostly surf these in beachbreaks and so won't be surfing them in over 5' because most of the time my local beachbreaks are closing out in anything that size or above and its time to hit the points.
Then I change to my dedicated point boards that are both poly and heftier than the xfs.
Can't wait to get my mitts on the 6'8" but its getting brought in from the Gold coast and won't get here until either tomorrow or failing that Friday. Should be pumping tomorrow morning and then be small by weeks end unfortunately.
Cuttlefish

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:12 am

monosurfer wrote:You had to bring sensible argument into it didn't you Kayu ? :-D .... I guess my point is that surfers are generally an affluent bunch these days and have many surfboards to choose from in their quiver ...and the McCoy is the one bugger that won't behave like the others ! I take it that when someone posts can you make this thing (nugget) turn better or easier , they are at their wit's end and likely to get rid of it soon... as witnessed by the availability of second hand ones in the rack at surf shops around where we live . I wish there was a " classic " line of McCoy's and a more contemporary version with Future's and some of the quirkiness taken out of the board so it (nugget ) wasn't completely foreign to the other boards you own and surf ! I just want all the benefits and none of the drawbacks please :roll: ......Your boards such as the one above are magnificent Kayu , that's truly a work of "art "....

I thought along the same lines as the above and the slow response feel of the McCoys I had was frustrating.
Riding the xf nugget this morning the ease of turning and swift responsiveness to rider input was there in spades. Problem solved and it didn't feel quirky where it would have you ripping one wave and flailing the next like the polys I've ridden. Really enjoyed taking some different lines on the waves I had.
Cuttlefish

Postby wurfysurfy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:14 pm

monosurfer wrote:McCoy nuggets work really well as a quad fin ( done it ). The rails on a nugget are too thick to bury so you surf it like a quad anyway :-D The thruster would be the best to turn into a quad obviously I suppose , but the rails are fairly soft in the tail anyway and don't go up that much further than the single ( very technical ) , even the single would work alright as a quad and it's not like your glassing up your ( centre ) fin box. Reasons against are more about ideology than performance ( performance being a subjective term of course ). Fins are you friend . 8)

a Quad XF experiment will be my next adventure.....they work really well in knee high to double overhead, after almost 3 years of experience on my go to board PU 7/0. :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby batoes » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:08 am

Cuttles - can you please buy an xf zot and let us know how it goes :-)
batoes

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:15 am

I can safely say Zaps aren't my thang so you'll have to pony up for one yourself. I'd buy a zot again before a zap.
Got one wave this morning that I jumped up too far forward but had to pump down the line to make the wave and the nugget didn't baulk at all, so I like its forgiveness in this respect.
Cuttlefish

Postby batoes » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:27 am

batoes wrote:Cuttles - can you please buy an xf zot and let us know how it goes :-)

totally - the zap was one of the worst boards i've ever ridden. :shock:
batoes

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 am

Jeebus...I surfed too much today. I read zap when I should have read zot.
For me the stumpy was the one I did not gel with.
Anyway I'm not buying one...coffers are empty.
You'll be cashed up soon by the sounds of it.
:wink:
Cuttlefish

Postby monosurfer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:39 pm

Good one Wurfy , I found your willingness to "break the rules" and not choose option A, B or C ( literally ) the inspiration for a little experimentation of my own :lol: ..Cuttle and Batoes..... feels like the old McCoy support group is back in business ! Man it's so much easier to change fins than to keep buying new boards but the new technology sounds super interesting to read about before coughing up the $$$.... So much easier than retreating to the mountains like a Buddhist monk and coming back with the " right " ( read factory approved ) method of surfing my own f##king surfboard too :-D
monosurfer

Postby wurfysurfy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:15 am

Mono, there are no RULES in surfboard design, just different sensations when you change....QUAD up and FLY!....nugget quads designed to FREE your surfing! :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby wurfysurfy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:18 am

Mono,i'll choose option Q for 90% of my surf sessions! glad you are one of the few that have ditched the lack of speed and reaction of the 3 glass ons
:lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:37 am

I've got quads like my Tomo nano and DVS wasp fish that can be wound up to serious speed (no I don't need a stupid gps to measure that) and after riding my 6'3" XF I wouldn't bother quadding it as it has the speed and responsiveness that all the McCoy handshaped polys I have had could only dream about in their natural fin state.
:o
Cuttlefish

Postby wurfysurfy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:53 am

:lol: don't be afraid to use top gear....its only 2 extra plugs
wurfysurfy

Postby Cuttlefish » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 am

Blasphemy...grab your torches and pitchforks!
:D
Cuttlefish

Postby monosurfer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:37 am

:-D ..Why not try a knubster and call it a cinque... :lol: ....Fins are your friend.. 8)
monosurfer

Postby wurfysurfy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:42 am

Kelly uses his nubster in Big chopes, cloudbreak and Pipe....bit more drag and control....i'll work up to that level I think! :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby kayu » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:18 am

.....anyone consider the double quad ?.......an 8 finner ?
kayu

Postby wurfysurfy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:10 am

Any change provides a different sensation.Glen Winton started with 6 and progressed to 4 and he achieved a top 4 pro tour finish with 4.There was one year that MR(twin) Cheyne(single)Tom C(thruster) and Glen W(quad) finished in that order.

Buttons had a board made with multiple set up....15 comes to mind, he went out and rode it then gradually(during that test session) decreased the numbers....I think it started to work well with 7 ?....quite a while ago but inquisitive minds get the answers...

No reason 8 cant work if they are aligned correctly....so Kayu, get that patent on! :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby monosurfer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:45 am

I still love all the the old stories of fairly extreme experimentation from back in the day . My brother and I had to share a quad T&C that we used to call "the ding " cause it used to shatter every time you stood up on it ,but shit it was lite :lol: .... I remember it used to fall out of the water every time you leaned on the rail... quads don't do that now ! I've got two "plastic machines " , one old and one remake of what went to Hawaii and I can safely say they were just hoping for the best when they were experimenting then ! :shock: .. :-D
monosurfer

Postby kayu » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:03 pm

wurfysurfy wrote:No reason 8 cant work if they are aligned correctly....so Kayu, get that patent on! :lol:
In principal , the twinzer appeals to me more so than the quad......probably because I rode twinnies back in the 70's , and know how good they can be.......two small canards can supercharge a twin fin.....I've also notice that a lot of quad surfers seem be reducing the area and base of their rears , so they behave like a split between a hot twinnie and a thruster..... I suppose that's one of the pluses with removable fin systems.
kayu

Postby wurfysurfy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Everything works on a board, some stuff works better for different individuals....I was recently thinking of single FCS plugs in front of the side fins of my 5 future nugget.A different sensation BUT would GM do another Youtube :lol:

ive never ridden a twinzer either so maybe a new adventure....
wurfysurfy

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:59 pm

That Duo 'double single' fin setup that Neal Purchase Jnr has been doing recently would lend itself to a Nugget... a kinda rehashed version of a couple of Bill Thrailkill's boards from the 70s

Of course, the McCoy logic would have it that this setup is twice as draggy as a straight single, but having seen the short video clip on NPJ's Instagram of him surfing it in lacklustre waves, I think it goes just fine....
Archy_is_God

Postby Roy Stuart » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:26 am

Archy_is_God wrote:That Duo 'double single' fin setup that Neal Purchase Jnr has been doing recently would lend itself to a Nugget... a kinda rehashed version of a couple of Bill Thrailkill's boards from the 70s

Of course, the McCoy logic would have it that this setup is twice as draggy as a straight single, but having seen the short video clip on NPJ's Instagram of him surfing it in lacklustre waves, I think it goes just fine....

McCoy is wrong if he thinks that.

In reality twice the fin area will produce twice the wetted surface area drag, but not twice the induced drag
(which could possibly be lower with 2 fins).

Since wetted surface area drag predominates at higher speeds ( whatever they are in this case I don't know) and induced drag at lower speeds the setup could be lower in drag at low speeds but won't be at higher speeds. Of course BT thinks that they are always faster than a single but he's a bit of an onion so we can ignore that.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby wurfysurfy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:22 am

theories are fine, practical experience reigns supreme(imo)....two heads are better than one and MR proved that so are 2 fins( that's if contest results matter)

Nigel Beckham is a shaper who uses a similar twin set up....

Twin spitfires?
wurfysurfy

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design