McCoy Nuggets

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: McCoy Nuggets

Postby kayu » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:29 am

wurfysurfy wrote:
Nigel Beckham is a shaper who uses a similar twin set up....

Always liked Nigel's revolution twin fin mals....and he rode them well....he had the cant and tow-in dialed .....haven't seen him around town for while ?
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby wurfysurfy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:33 pm

I read online that hes in WA
wurfysurfy

Postby MrMik » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:06 pm

A Nigel Beckham twin fin mal was the only board (apart from McCoy's) that I had very positive surfing experiences on.
MrMik

Postby wurfysurfy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:52 pm

So Mik, what of the BLEF gull versus the non bumpy( both roy models) ?
wurfysurfy

Postby MrMik » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:05 am

wurfysurfy wrote:So Mik, what of the BLEF gull versus the non bumpy( both roy models) ?

I finally got the printed Gullwing fin just a couple of days ago.

Gullwing_Gullwhale_RoyStewart-640x640.JPG
Gullwing_Gullwhale_RoyStewart-640x640.JPG (31.54 KiB) Viewed 3143 times

The base length has changed a bit, otherwise it looks like it should allow direct comparison to determine if the bumps have a significant effect.

The quick release needs to be removed because it tries to break your fingers when testing the fin in the swimming pool.... :oops:
MrMik

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:19 am

It seems that the postal service 'aint what it used to be, bring on the ride reports...
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby MrMik » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:59 am

I seriously doubt if I will be able to feel a difference while riding.

I could not even feel a difference between a fibreglass gullwing fin and the plastic Gullwhale fin. That's in my ususal 8tf Nugget.

When I swapped fins in the surf (only had one occasion so far), the grom on a 5'8'' Zot felt no difference, either, and actually forgot that the fin had been swapped! A little attention deficit is almost as good as a blind test! :lol: ROTFLMAO

My boards surf great with any of these fins, but the crowd factor and my lack of surfing prowess makes testing tricky.

The weight difference between fibreglass and polycarbonate fins make manual comparison in the pool difficult.
MrMik

Postby monosurfer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:20 am

Geez the bumpy one looks super trick :shock: ... If it goes better that's just a bonus :lol:
monosurfer

Postby Cuttlefish » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:23 am

Never mind if you can't tell the difference.
It just means that you are definitely not a whale.
:P
Cuttlefish

Postby Roy Stuart » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:28 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Never mind if you can't tell the difference.
It just means that you are definitely not a whale.
:P

The difference is actually remarkable, as one would expect.

No doubt Mr Mik's comments are pleasing to some however.
www.roystuart.biz
Roy Stuart

Postby monosurfer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:04 am

:evil: ... You mean the dark presence Roy .. Don't mention it two further times :cry:
monosurfer

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:52 pm

I've had a xf epoxy 6'3" all round nugget for a couple of months now and am very happy with both how it surfs and how strong its construction is. Right from my first wave on it I was suprised how well it rode compared to all the previous poly McCoys I have ridden.
First surf was in pumping 3-4' cyclone swell beachbreaks.
Often while riding poly McCoys I felt like the boards took too long to react to my input in initiating turns.
With the lightness and thinner rails of the xf its more in sync with my timing on the wave and so especially in more critical sections or hollower waves I'm really enjoying how quickly it turns.
I had such a good time on the board on my first surf I ordered a 6'8" to ride in larger waves.
The 6'3" is great for handling steep take offs so its my board for sucky, peaky, low tide beachbreaks.
If its breaking really quickly down the line, or mid-high tide then I will still choose my Tomo nano or McNeill Rasta tt for their concave bottomed planing speed but the McCoys have filled a gap in the quiver.
The other good thing about the xf boards (you can buy them in poly too) is they have fcs II which allows fin experimentation and ease of travel.
Cuttlefish

Postby Stan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Im tempted by an Astro Zot for sale at Tiki in Braunton had a nugget a few years ago and really liked it anyway the Astrons they have are around 100 pounds cheaper than the ones ive seen at Down The Line I take it its because theyre made by The Surf Agency ? any problems with the quality of these boards any info ? Cheers
Stan

Postby thechimp » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:51 am

Its all on here.............scroll back
thechimp

Postby nawgy1979 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:50 pm

Any UK McCoy fans interested in sharing shipping from Geoff ?
Exchange looks good and he has a sale on.
nawgy1979

Postby NickZed32 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:53 am

Good evening one and all.

A question or two if you don't mind.

I am currently riding two MCcoys:-
1) 6'6" * 21' * 3' single fin nugget- i reckon its 50-55 litres.
2) 6'6" single fin Zap - 48 litres.

Im 95kg and am looking to try out a smaller board that is a thruster. I have been toying with either a 6'1"-6'2" PU thruster nugget in the 40-43 litre range or a 6'1" XF Nugget.

I used to own a 6'6" surftech nugget thruster, but didnt like it when it was windy as i felt like i was bouncing down the wave.

My question: i typically surf on the Northern Beaches of Sydney in beachbreaks, would the XF have that bouncy feeling that the surftechs had on windy days?

Thanks
Nick
NickZed32

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:25 pm

I know Im out but curious as to what kind of price you are thinking
Kenny

Postby Black » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:39 pm

Kenny wrote:I know Im out but curious as to what kind of price you are thinking

I'm thinking the price is in the carbon footprint for a board from the other side of the planet?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby nawgy1979 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:07 am

Black wrote:

I'm thinking the price is in the carbon footprint for a board from the other side of the planet?

No extra carbon being emitted - that aeroplane full of mail and cargo would still be doing the same trip with or without me ordering a board !
nawgy1979

Postby Black » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:23 pm

nawgy1979 wrote:
Black wrote:

No extra carbon being emitted - that aeroplane full of mail and cargo would still be doing the same trip with or without me ordering a board !
Heavier plane uses more fuel.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby thechimp » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:06 pm

Black wrote:!
Heavier plane uses more fuel.[/quote]

oh dear, hate to think what my footprint is,

this is nice
http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/catalogu ... 1-2-x3-1-4
thechimp

McCoy board for France

Postby MrMik » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:04 am

I'm wondering what kind of McCoy board would be the best all-rounder for the area just south of the Ile d'Oleron on the French Atlantic coast.

Family members have gone shares in a holiday house in that area, and it is only a matter of time before some family meeting will be held there, and I'll be jetting over from Australia. I'll be much easier to get along with if I can escape for a surf every so often. Sanity and all that....

I might be able to donate or store a board there permanently, so it's important that it's suitable for the waves, and suitable for beginners as well as more experienced surfers.

An 8ft single fin Nugget is my regular go to board, and I think it is reasonably suitable for complete beginners as well.

To convince the rest of the clan to give up some permanent storage space at the shack, it would be good if the board could be used by anyone.

So what are the waves like along the 'Foret Domaniale de la Coubre la Tremblade'? Barrelling perfection suited for a Nugget, or more rolling and suited to a flat rockered Pot Belly?

I have never surfed a Pot Belly, but I have much experience with several Nuggets and Zot's. Is the Pot Belly a more difficult board for beginners because it will pearl more easily, or is it easier because it will paddle faster than a more rockered Nugget?

I imagine that the most likely candidates are a 7'6'' Zot, or a 7'6'' Pot Belly custom shaped as single fin, or an 8ft Nugget single fin. Maybe even a 9ft longboard?

Let me know what you would choose as the one and only board for that location and purpose, please.
MrMik

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:43 am

Tricky one, as one tide will be able to bring all sorts of waves within hours of one another around there and it depends on what you are used to riding TBH... I would go for a 6ft Zot if I was taking a McCoy to that area.
Archy_is_God

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:08 am

I spent about month surfing actually on the island, and in one very memorable session I got thoroughly barrelled in the morning for a few hours, and then as the tide pushed up it became mellow enough for my friend and girlfriend to paddle out and cruise down the line on some big soft walls.
changes character with the tide for sure, but usually quite steep if over chest high
so I'd say 2 boards minimum... but that's just me! I spent 90% of my time on a 5'10 shortboard so I'm afraid I can't help with McCoy boards
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby MrMik » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:43 am

Aha, large tidal range by the sounds of it.

I did not even think of that.

How much does it go up and down on a full moon?
MrMik

Postby MrMik » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:13 am

I looked it up: About 5m tidal range after new moon in a few days.

That's much more than I'm used to.

I figure it means that the breaks will change quickly throughout most days, offering opportunities for different skill levels at different times.

It needs a true all-rounder of a board, and maybe a foam longboard for the total beginners.

And a serious wetsuit.....
MrMik

Postby nawgy1979 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:47 am

It is working out slightly more expensive for one board than at DTL but an opportunity to get a board model/size that DTL don't have.
However with 2/3 boards shipped at the same time you could be looking at 670-740 per board depending upon size/model.
nawgy1979

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:43 pm

MrMik wrote:I looked it up: About 5m tidal range after new moon in a few days.

That's much more than I'm used to.

I figure it means that the breaks will change quickly throughout most days, offering opportunities for different skill levels at different times.

It needs a true all-rounder of a board, and maybe a foam longboard for the total beginners.

And a serious wetsuit.....

5M is pretty average for the Northern Atlantic.... We have 10M tides around here now and again.

Wetsuits... The water may be warmer than you imagine - a 4mm and boots in the depths of winter and a shortjohn (maybe even boardies) in the summer (thanks to the Gulfstream currents!) Pretty unlikely that you will need thick gloves and a hood, but it depends on what you are used to.
Archy_is_God

Postby Cuttlefish » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:50 am

nawgy1979 wrote:

It is working out slightly more expensive for one board than at DTL but an opportunity to get a board model/size that DTL don't have.
However with 2/3 boards shipped at the same time you could be looking at 670-740 per board depending upon size/model.

I was in the showroom today and there's not too many boards left in that sale.
After they are gone he will only do customs. No more stock boards. So last chance for a sale price.
I can take a pic of what he's got left on Thursday if you like.
Cuttlefish

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:32 pm

So I got a 6'6" Rodgers shaped AR from joshvyv a couple months back and.... I love it.

It's not a 'panacea' board, i use it as a step-up in bowly waves and it's the perfect tool for the job. So much so that I think i will hunt out another Rodgers if I can.

6'6' x 20" x 2 13/16. Seems flatter between the feet than the 'Geoff's' that I have previously had. Similar foil and rails though. Did a backside re-entry on it a couple of weeks back that surprised me - that old McCoy thing that's so hard to pin down. 8)
Archy_is_God

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design