McCoy Nuggets

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: McCoy Nuggets

Postby MrMik » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:54 am

wurfysurfy wrote:where do i find these ball bearing inserts? ? ?

They might well be custom parts. I could not find them on offer for sale anywhere.

A machining shop might be able to tell how much it would cost to manufacture such things. Probably hundreds of $$$ to set up the machines, then next to nothing per part as long as you buy 1000+ :lol:

I need to take a closer look at the things... :twisted:
MrMik

Postby MrMik » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:09 am

MrMik wrote:...

Indeed, I needed to have a closer look, because the earlier description was quite incorrect. :oops:

The ball and the spring appear to be stainless steel, but the casing is made from transparent plastic.
Overview.jpg
Overview.jpg (207.14 KiB) Viewed 989 times

Ball, spacer and spring.jpg
Ball, spacer and spring.jpg (223.04 KiB) Viewed 989 times

spring.jpg
spring.jpg (232.95 KiB) Viewed 989 times
MrMik

Postby wurfysurfy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:34 am

mCoy should adapt the clip in fins to his thruster models, it would add some cost but it'd satisfy the surfers who travel.

However, the dolphin shaped sidefins will be obsolete VERY soon.

3Dfins, based in west OZ, are launching this week,i saw them in action last year and they will replace what we have come to accept as standard.

at this stage there isnt a website, but they are on facebook and twitter

a reasonably standard centre fin with the sidefins being a tunnel type fin at the leading edge with a stabilising arm running from the apex of the tunnel to about 4inches behind the tunnel in an arced shape.

WEIRD ! to look at but the surfing i saw by the guys using them was FASTER by a long way over the other boards in the water that 4-6ft day

they only had thruster set ups so i couldnt imagine the speed with quad trailers. :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby wurfysurfy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:55 am

my description of 3Dfins should be reversed....the tunnel part is the trailing edge :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby nawgy1979 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi guys,
For all those who wanted some vid footage of the Astron Zot here is some that I forgot about was in existence.

http://youtu.be/kK4jM6cTu38

This isnt me but I now own the board - a 6'8 Astron Zot.

Cheers,

N
nawgy1979

Postby wurfysurfy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:43 am

http://createsend.randb.com.au/t/ViewEm ... oc_item_10

if this link doesnt work

www.switch-foot.com

clik news letters

scroll to august & theres an interview with GM
wurfysurfy

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:25 pm

nawgy1979 wrote:Hi guys,
For all those who wanted some vid footage of the Astron Zot here is some that I forgot about was in existence.

http://youtu.be/kK4jM6cTu38

This isnt me but I now own the board - a 6'8 Astron Zot.

Cheers,

N

Err.... Well, Kayu was less than impressed by the Point Concept clips, I wonder what he makes of this? :? :scratch:

Anyone got any footage of Cheyne riding one?
Archy_is_God

Postby kayu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Not sure what you mean there Arch ....is that a video link on this page ?
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby kayu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Actually , there's somethin new comin from Geoff......maybe some interesting pics and testride results. soon if Byron area pumps......can't say too much at this stage.......... :shock:
kayu

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:13 pm

kayu wrote:Not sure what you mean there Arch ....is that a video link on this page ?

The YouTube link posted by Nawgy? Maybe not the most exemplary footage, with all respect... But he's not a 'team rider', so the comparison is unfair.

So, what's up the McCoy sleeve then? Any hints?

I know Geoff's done a couple of twin fin nugget prototypes in the past.. Fingers crossed!
Last edited by Archy_is_God on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archy_is_God

Postby MrMik » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:

Maybe tamper-proof boards? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stainless Steel plates where quad fins could be installed? :lol: :lol:
MrMik

Postby kayu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:
kayu wrote:Not sure what you mean there Arch ....is that a video link on this page ?

The YouTube link posted by Nawgy? Maybe not the most exemplary footage, with all respect... But he's not a 'team rider', so the comparison is unfair.

I know Geoff's done a couple of twin fin nugget prototypes in the past.. Fingers crossed!
All I can say is , its wood....and its rather light ................and it will be ready to hit the water in a week or two........ :!:
kayu

Postby wurfysurfy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 pm

www.3dfins.com

The website is in operation, however the fins i described are not available just yet which i'm disappointed with.However, they have developed "dimpled" fins endorsed by Josh Kerr and with Trestles next stop on tour, we could be in for some fast air action!

Available to suit Futures and FCS.

Dimples have been used on surfboard bottoms for a long time, Wills Bros used them in Hawaii(i rode an 8/8)and they go fast!

They increased the speed of a golf ball thru the air considerably, water is a denser medium so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

3dees have 2 different sets of fins that should be available soon.

So i wonder if mCoy will embrace new tech ? ? ? :roll:
wurfysurfy

Postby elhornet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:08 pm

That youtube footage pretty much firmed up my views on these McCoy boards.
elhornet

Postby wurfysurfy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:18 pm

mCoys designs lets a surfer have every opportunity to surf a wave with no limitations, underneath a competent surfer they carve.they have a easy rail to rail transition,catch waves effortlessly and the curves fit the waves better than any of the other popular designs.that utube footage isnt an indication of how the boards perform.the Azot isnt one of GMs better designs though imo,very bland.Geoff said he wanted to neutralise the reaction & hes done that to the max with the AZ.
if some utube footage was shot with that rider on a AM,firewire or thruster nugget, the result would only be marginally better.i think its quite difficult to lose control on a AZ, but that guy manages quite well.hes sold the board so obviously he didnt like the performance or sensations it provided
the best nuggets are made to accomodate 3 fins and these designs also work unreal with quads.
wurfysurfy

Postby MrMik » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:30 pm

I have compared the 7'1 Astron Zot to my 7'2'' thruster Nugget in the same surf conditions, swapping over repeatedly, on three occasions.
They were all small wave conditions, 1'-2' twice and 2'-3' once.

Results:
A) The grom prefers the Zot, because it's easier to catch waves and it does not wobble at all. I prefer the Zot, too.
B) I never knew how easy it is to duckdive that Nugget :lol: :lol: It still feels not too difficult to duckdive the Zot, but going back to the Nugget it becomes clear that this is a clear case of "New board enthusiasm"..the Zot is definitively harder to duckdive than the Nugget.
C) The Nugget feels like a potato-chip board after surfing the Zot for a while. It feels much thinner, but that's probably due to the thickness spreading out towards the rails much further. A similar trend is already visible between the 1998 7'2'' Nugget and my 2006 6'10'' Nugget: More thickness and volume despite shorter length.
D) I did not find any lack of performance in the Zot, not any situation when I thought "...wish I was on the Nugget".
E) I can almost keep up with the grom when I'm on the Zot in a paddling race. On anything else (except a longboard) I have no chance. That seems pretty good evidence to me that the Zot does indeed paddle faster than the Nugget.

Seems to me that Geoff McCoy is learning to pack more and more volume into surfboards, while avoiding that the volume get's in the way of performance, at least at the intermediate level that I can comment on from personal experience.

In my experience the Zot definitively outperforms a similar length Nugget in small waves, particularly wrt. wave count.

In all three sessions practically everybody else was on either a longboard or on a SUB. The Zot will not outpaddle a longboard, but I managed to snatch a few waves from the hungry longboard pack.. :wink:
MrMik

Postby cproctor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:28 pm

Has anyone tried other fins in a single fin nugget other than the gullwing , spitfire and horan winged keel ?

Ive never heard mention of anyone trying anything other than these fins - surely other stuff must work well in therm ?
cproctor

Postby wurfysurfy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:06 am

YES, ive tried 4 or 5 conventional bigger based fins over the years.all went well.my observations are the worst fin was the first edition of the gull fin which was a touch shallower and had a smaller base than the prestent standard GF.it just didnt drive in grunty waves.the star fin was the driviest, but didnt turn fantastically well.the present GF is quite good but goes better with drivey sides like the fcs H2s.everyone is different i have friends who wont ride anything but the single mCoys.the clip in fin is very handy & u can adjust it in the water which ive done about 3 or 4 times.GMs singles have a free feeling which is nice but they dont go as well as the multi fins for me.
wurfysurfy

Postby Cuttlefish » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:33 pm

MrMik wrote:
MrMik wrote:...

Indeed, I needed to have a closer look, because the earlier description was quite incorrect. :oops:

The ball and the spring appear to be stainless steel, but the casing is made from transparent plastic.
Overview.jpg

Ball, spacer and spring.jpg

spring.jpg

And there's this one...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2013-TEAM-BO ... 43b31ae53b
Cuttlefish

Postby wurfysurfy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:24 am

Mik, no swell days are not great indicators of any designs capabilities

i'll be interested to hear your experiences after a few sessions in 4-6ft conditions

i too thought that single mcoys went ok in weak stuff, but when the swell gets thick and starts to moove fast THATS testing time(for me)

weak slow waves(1-3ft) dont rate on my HOOTmetre :lol:
wurfysurfy

Postby hedgemonkey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:35 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mcoy-Astron-Z ... 500wt_1363

Thought some of you guys might be interested...
hedgemonkey

Postby nawgy1979 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am

thanks for drawing everyones attention to it :-)
nawgy1979

Postby slipslide » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Whilst we are having a sales drive, got this one in the for sale section.
slipslide

Postby wurfysurfy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 pm

where is this board?...how much?...howlong/wide/thick?..cheers WS
wurfysurfy

Postby slipslide » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:22 am

The board is 6ft 8 x 19 1/4 x 2 3/4 Based in Essex will be in North Devon on the weekened of the 15-9-12 or quite happy to help get shipping sorted.
Heres the link
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35810

Any questions just ask.

cheers
slipslide

Postby wurfysurfy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 pm

thanks. but sorry i'm after a 7/6...on the east coast of Australia...cheers WS
wurfysurfy

Postby MrMik » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 pm

wurfysurfy wrote:Mik, no swell days are not great indicators of any designs capabilities

i'll be interested to hear your experiences after a few sessions in 4-6ft conditions

i too thought that single mcoys went ok in weak stuff, but when the swell gets thick and starts to moove fast THATS testing time(for me)

weak slow waves(1-3ft) dont rate on my HOOTmetre :lol:

I'll gladly oblige once some waves turn up! :cry: :cry:

However, I'm surfing this Zot in everything that the ocean puts on offer at the moment, and so far it is going great!
4ft was about the biggest so far, and the bigger, the better it seems to go. But it does not need to be big to be very surfable.

The other day I had what felt like one of the best surf sessions of my life. The waves were 3ft, fat, high tide beach break and very glassy. There were only 2-3 other surfers and lots of lefthanders (that's a rare treat around here). I must have caught 20-30 waves, missed practically no waves that I was paddling for and had an absolute ball of a time. It felt like my surfing improved a lot in just that one session. Of particular importance was that I almost fell off the Zot on several occasions, but recovered - like building a new habit of not falling off.
I managed just a few powerful turns, but many small moves that were appropriate for the waves. The moves happened as if by themselves, kind of instinctively. I got into the pocket a number of times, but it was not quite tubing. The Zot just does what I want it to do, kind of before I really had time to think about what I want to do.
Part of this is due to the "Design to free the mind", some due to the nice easy waves, some due to my improving skills, and a lot due to the absent crowds on the day.

Once there are bigger waves again, the "hassle factor" will be interfering with the test riding.... :cry:
MrMik

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:29 pm

Cheyne Horan and Geoff McCoy recall Cheyne's experiments on a 5'8 Lazor Zap at Waimea and Pipeline:

http://www.boardcollector.com/2012/09/r ... p.html?m=1
Archy_is_God

Postby skimmer2 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:27 pm

not sure if this was posted before.....just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-5AhAnX200&feature=plcp
skimmer2

Postby dogtowatch » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Which Nugget shape and length would you gentlemen recommend for a less than average surfer who is nine stone ten, and only rides chest and below and is in his 50's. Thanks. Hope the answer aint a Nugget!
dogtowatch

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design